Author Topic: Best/modern dc/xco hardtail?  (Read 430 times)

Zeus

Best/modern dc/xco hardtail?
« on: May 25, 2024, 05:21:23 PM »
Hi - looking at the 1306 from carbonda, I was wondering if there is a better option?
Maybe you can throw in a few links or pics?
However, a few "musts":
1) has to be in XL og long legs (inseem is 94cm..)
2) BSA BB
3) STA around 75-76
4) Reach about 475-500ish
5) Ikons 2,35 or Aspens 2,4wt must fit

Cheers :-)

BruceJR

Re: Best/modern dc/xco hardtail?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 12:44:38 AM »
I build up 3 Spycycle SP-M016 hardtail bikes for my 3 boys to ride NICA.  The geometry is spot on progressive w/ 75* and 67* at 450mm reach size large. Only problem for you is they don't make an XL.  Their latest hard tail is not as progressive but pretty decent at 74.5* 68* 475mm reach with UDH. I've been very satisfied with these 3 bikes. Threaded bottom brackets and so far so good. My 15yo rode his pretty darn hard and fast.
[/url]

Ludo

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 01:09:45 AM »
Their newer frame, M06 is a Scott copycat, I love mine, build was dead easy even for a first time builder like me but they have a bit of a an issue with the bottom bracket shells being slightly too big. Can be solved with Correct loctite or a threaded together bb92

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 04:24:57 AM »
Hi - looking at the 1306 from carbonda, I was wondering if there is a better option?

I've built quite a few. They are easy to build, nothing special. And ride well.
Since you are looking for better. What would you change on this frame if you could ?

Zeus

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 06:24:54 AM »
Good point :-)
Looks like a good one, maybe the price could be lower, but still..numbers are good and quality as well (I have a 909 allready)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 06:28:04 AM by Zeus »

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 07:03:28 AM »
Price should remain important, although it is trending in the wrong direction...

In the last Nero's show, although they were a bit off on the historical timeline of Chinese frames, they presented what they call a "third wave": branded frames aiming to sell for half or less than traditional brands

BruceJR

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 11:21:57 AM »
The SP-Cycles frames are pretty inexpensive at around $350-400 delivered to the USA.  I haven't priced any other open mold hardtail frames so I can't say how they compare.  I will say that right now on Probikesupply.com you can get a DV9 for $1068.  Yeah, it still a lot more money but you get a quality frame with a lifetime warranty.  If I only needed to build up 1 bike and I liked the geometry I certainly would strongly consider paying the extra money for the Ibis.  I needed 3 hardtails and I will actually need to buy 2 more frames to migrate from size medium to large when they grow.  So it was a no brainer to go with the best/cheapest option I could find.