Author Topic: Carbonda FM909  (Read 122593 times)

Swolie74

Re: Carbonda FM909
« Reply #480 on: September 07, 2022, 06:38:58 PM »
I purchased the ICAN. It arrived cracked due to I believe a large wrinkle in the carbon layup. I was sloppy with inspection upon arrival so didn't notice until later. ICAN refuse to admit any fault and blame the shipping company so won't do anything. Unless the shipping company also did the layup its not their fault. They did offer to repair it if I shipped it back to them but that would cost a similar amount to a new frame so I'm likely to repair it myself.

Pics?! That’s bonkers!

federic000

« Reply #481 on: September 08, 2022, 12:25:40 AM »
I purchased the ICAN. It arrived cracked due to I believe a large wrinkle in the carbon layup. I was sloppy with inspection upon

Oh god, please post pictures. Bad feedback from ICAN i wouldn't expect from such a well known brand... >:(

carbonazza

« Reply #482 on: September 08, 2022, 03:32:34 AM »
Oh god, please post pictures. Bad feedback from ICAN i wouldn't expect from such a well known brand... >:(

Well... a rule for shipping, if the box is damaged, as excited as you may be, you refuse the package.
Or you make the courier/postman wait while you open the box to see how it looks inside.
ICAN doesn't have anything to do with that.

rehcarbon

« Reply #483 on: September 08, 2022, 06:14:29 AM »
I purchased the ICAN. It arrived cracked due to I believe a large wrinkle in the carbon layup. I was sloppy with inspection upon arrival so didn't notice until later. ICAN refuse to admit any fault and blame the shipping company so won't do anything. Unless the shipping company also did the layup its not their fault. They did offer to repair it if I shipped it back to them but that would cost a similar amount to a new frame so I'm likely to repair it myself.

Thanks. Good feedback.

So ICAN service is not impressive, in this instance. And the ICAN S5 is 2-300g heavier than Carbonda FM909, so must be a different lay-up/carbon/epoxy mix.

All reports of Carbonda FM909 seem good so far. Any issues with servicing linkage, bearings etc?

d3xophen

« Reply #484 on: September 08, 2022, 12:05:20 PM »
I found this, If I cut it to 30mm, is it ok to use?
I will use with RockShox sidluxe.

St0mpB0x

« Reply #485 on: September 08, 2022, 05:25:08 PM »
Well... a rule for shipping, if the box is damaged, as excited as you may be, you refuse the package.
Or you make the courier/postman wait while you open the box to see how it looks inside.
ICAN doesn't have anything to do with that.

Sure. I happily admit that ICAN has nothing to do with shipping issues. It was a manufacturing issue, not a shipping issue like they are trying to make it out to be.

St0mpB0x

« Reply #486 on: September 08, 2022, 05:39:25 PM »
Here's some pictures of the issues. It appears as though plastic from the manufacturing process was left in when molding. There is large wrinkle around most of the top of the headtube. They were also kind enough to paint over most of the bearings.

Attached some pictures to the post and here's a link to a video of the damage.

rehcarbon

« Reply #487 on: September 09, 2022, 02:25:31 PM »
How have they responded?

Do any of these issues make the bike unridable?

Swolie74

« Reply #489 on: September 12, 2022, 09:46:26 AM »
Attached some pictures to the post and here's a link to a video of the damage.

That does look like it might have been dropped on the top corner... I wouldn't rule out shipping damage. Never hurts to try and get the shipper to pay... but ultimately you should be able to repair that fairly easy. I would be interested to know how they handle the situation.. discounted from triangle in case you didn't want to bother with repair, etc...

St0mpB0x

« Reply #490 on: September 13, 2022, 05:12:30 AM »
How have they responded?
Do any of these issues make the bike unridable?

They offered to repair it for 20USD if I would ship it back to them. Shipping would cost me something like $800 though so no real point. They weren't prepared to offer any other solution.

The bearing paint is just lazy and has no influence on ridability. The headtube crack? Possibly ridable as it is but equally could be very unsafe. It's hard to tell.

That does look like it might have been dropped on the top corner... I wouldn't rule out shipping damage. Never hurts to try and get the shipper to pay... but ultimately you should be able to repair that fairly easy. I would be interested to know how they handle the situation.. discounted from triangle in case you didn't want to bother with repair, etc...

The box was fine, certainly not crushed in any such way as to cause this. I've personally cut up a whole bunch of crash and impact damaged frames. This doesn't resemble any of the damage patterns you typically see in those situations. I guess it could have been dropped on the top corner before it was boxed.....  which broke it along the massive manufacturing flaw.

ains

« Reply #491 on: September 18, 2022, 07:18:02 AM »
Now the weather got much better in the last couple of weeks and today I did a longer trip.
The S frame fits two 750ml bottles. Using a sideloader , of course  ;)

I am still not sure if I should lower the front 1cm, but so far it's a good match for me.

Hi! Could you measure the inner length of the down tube of your frame, plz? I am thinking if the framebag of this frame in size S would fit the poles of my tent. Want to buy this frame for bikepacking.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #492 on: September 18, 2022, 02:27:48 PM »
Hi! Could you measure the inner length of the down tube of your frame, plz? I am thinking if the framebag of this frame in size S would fit the poles of my tent. Want to buy this frame for bikepacking.

Sorry that I must smile... that is a bended tube, obviously you don't want to bend your poles.... Without more detailed question how to measure the value will probably not be the value you would like to know.   
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 02:52:43 PM by Pedaldancer »

Major Clod

« Reply #493 on: September 20, 2022, 07:32:59 AM »
I'm interested to hear from those with this frame who may have downsized from their usual size, or picked the smaller of two sizes if you were between.  Are you happy with your decision?

Seba MTB

« Reply #494 on: September 21, 2022, 02:06:12 AM »