Author Topic: Chinese cycling clothes  (Read 69170 times)

kbernstein

Re: Chinese cycling clothes
« Reply #465 on: September 30, 2024, 03:10:51 PM »
Aegismax is very well regarded for down sleeping bags. I've had 2 and I would absolutely trust them for a jacket too. Not sure how packable though

PLA

« Reply #466 on: September 30, 2024, 03:51:52 PM »
Can someone recommend a lightweight packable down jacket (or something similar)? There’s a few offerings on Aliexpress but not sure about the quality. There’s a slightly more expensive but very interesting hooded cycling jacket from Inbike. But it’s not a down jacket, it seems. Looking for something I can wear on the gravel bike in the winter and take with me on Bikepacking trips.

You sure you want down? I think you'll be too sweaty for down, it'll end up just losing its loft and you'll end up cold and miserable. Unless it's for sitting in camp exclusively. If it's while being active, I'd always go synthetic. For on bike I'd go a polartec alpha direct insulated jacket. You'll be warm and dry. If it's for sitting at camp then sure, you could just get a decathlon down jacket to save some coin.

Sebastian

« Reply #467 on: October 01, 2024, 12:01:21 AM »
You sure you want down? I think you'll be too sweaty for down, it'll end up just losing its loft and you'll end up cold and miserable. Unless it's for sitting in camp exclusively. If it's while being active, I'd always go synthetic. For on bike I'd go a polartec alpha direct insulated jacket. You'll be warm and dry. If it's for sitting at camp then sure, you could just get a decathlon down jacket to save some coin.

No, not sure at all. I didn’t know that was a problem with down. I have no experience with it. Since Rapha promote their down jacket for cycling I reckoned that you can use it for that. If it’s only for after the ride I’d obviously not care as much about fit and potential water resistance.

Serge_K

« Reply #468 on: October 01, 2024, 03:13:44 AM »
No, not sure at all. I didn’t know that was a problem with down. I have no experience with it. Since Rapha promote their down jacket for cycling I reckoned that you can use it for that. If it’s only for after the ride I’d obviously not care as much about fit and potential water resistance.

Down absorbs water, you're not supposed to sweat in down. For example, when you're mountaineering, when warmth really matters, your biggest enemy is sweat: your layers are going to include down because its insulating properties are dope, but if you start sweating and stop (part of the climb when doing belays), you very quickly question your life choices.

And so, you dont wear down on a bike, because you sweat on it. Once down is wet, if you're in the wild, you're as good as fucked.
Primaloft and other synthetic fibers that cost much less than down are better suited for sweaty situations because they absorb moisture less, dry faster, and continue to perform somehow even as they get wet.

For bikepacking, i would very much worry about moisture management and the insulation properties of my garment when wet. Being cold, wet and miserable in the evening because your gear is wrong should be avoided if at all possible.

Rapha selling down jackets can make as much sense as canada goose selling down jackets, or moncler: Rapha is a luxury brand, down is expensive, natural, and popular: they get it to sell you that jacket for a pretty penny, & it doesn't mean you should camp with it.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #469 on: October 01, 2024, 10:07:41 AM »
I'm surprised Rapha isn't selling Aerogel clothing to flex even harder on the poors.

jonathanf2

« Reply #470 on: October 01, 2024, 12:38:45 PM »
Anyone try carbon soled shoes from AliEx?

I'm looking at these right now:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803407280298.html

Pedaldancer

« Reply #471 on: October 01, 2024, 01:42:06 PM »

Well.
A hand up for down jacket.
But: on bikepacking the down jacket is what you use in the evening/ night or during break.
Did that in Norway..I wore my down jacket every day. But I didn't go for Aliexpress, i bought a Dynafit.

What I also do is down jacket in winter commuting. But only if it's not raining. The sweating during the commute ride can dry during the day time.
You could check out decathlon down jackets as PLA also recommended. 
At least there you know that they are certified downs.

Other than that there are amazing good Softshell materials that stay warm even getting humid.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 01:46:10 PM by Pedaldancer »

Pedaldancer

« Reply #472 on: October 01, 2024, 01:55:55 PM »

Not carbon but I had/have
Darevie : a bit more narrow than Shimano/Northwave
Boodun : very similar fitting as Shimano regarding width . A bit soft, but they do have carbon versions also.
Santic: very stiff although "only" plastic sole. Width also comparable to Shimano/Northwave
Sizing.... you should follow the instructions on each company
. For me it's Shimano 41, Northwave 41, Santic and Boodun 41.  But I really measured my foot and insole length of a good fitting shoe
 The Darevie was slightly smaller but 41 was also OK.

A good feature on the link you shared is the Atop system. You can get replacement parts for that and it's also very robust.
But for me the price is 120€.. for this I'd look during sales for some known brand.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 01:58:05 PM by Pedaldancer »

bremerradkurier

« Reply #473 on: October 01, 2024, 02:28:08 PM »

Bought these Bont clones-no idea if the heat shaping I tried with them really works, but they were plenty stiff and had great arch support.  Tongue tended to bunch up under the wire laces.

Upper somehow managed to be both not well ventilated for hot summer weather but at the same time getting waterlogged very quickly in the rain.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2261800158652638.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.57.67a560cfjlVNmX&algo_pvid=9bb54f22-3135-4b5c-8b2c-8c0197b62aaa&algo_exp_id=9bb54f22-3135-4b5c-8b2c-8c0197b62aaa-28&pdp_npi=4%40dis%21USD%21149.00%21149.00%21%21%21149.00%21149.00%21%40211b6c1717278106239354583e3320%2120000000178525699%21sea%21US%211699911272%21X&curPageLogUid=hveue9msrSiX&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch%7Cquery_from%3A