Author Topic: ICAN Triaero A9  (Read 2779 times)

In2Fastbikes

ICAN Triaero A9
« on: January 14, 2021, 09:43:42 PM »
My ICAN Triaero A9 frame arrived a while back and have finally had some time to start building. The frame looks good, everything fits together properly and looks well finished. Looking forward to this build! 8). Some photos attached.

The customer service was excellent (I dealt with Debby).
I live in Beijing so delivery was just a few days. Check with them before ordering as I understand that certain items/ paint jobs may take longer than indicated. Also, with the Covid situation changing all the time there could be further delays.

Weight (measured with a Super B digital scale, accurate to 5g).

Frame, size 58: 1.205kg with hanger
Fork: 0.420kg
Seatpost: 0.275kg
Handlebars (HB40), width 400mm x 100mm stem: 0.355kg

I have ordered some 60mm carbon wheels from a supplier on Taobao who has good reviews. No English I think, so we’ll see what I get :P. I’ll post some pics when I get them.

Thinking I’ll go 12 speed on this one if I can find the right components.

Scott

Matt_C

Re: ICAN Triaero A9
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 02:31:24 PM »
Great quality pictures. Keep them coming. I am so happy with my A9, I hope yours ends up bringing you just as much joy!

In2Fastbikes

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 04:45:19 AM »
Great quality pictures. Keep them coming. I am so happy with my A9, I hope yours ends up bringing you just as much joy!
Thanks, Matt_C! Looking forward to riding it.
Scott

Ossip

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 03:09:27 AM »
Looking great,
do you know something about the angle of the stem from the handlebar?
and do you maby have the email from Debby, i am trying to reach them at perry@ican.nl but they dont respond.

Greets Ossip

In2Fastbikes

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 09:23:21 PM »
@Ossip, Debby's email address is debby@icancycling.com. Checking on the handlebar stem angle for you and will post here later.
Scott

In2Fastbikes

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 09:41:38 PM »
Here is the geometry for the ICAN HB40 handlebars. See the PDF attached.
Scott

In2Fastbikes

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 03:08:56 AM »
Finally, all done. Heaps of fun!

Wanted to cable with full housing and managed in the end, but I did find that some of the bends in the steering area were a bit tight.
The ZRACE disc pads are not very good and will change those immediately.

Rides well and looking forward to the first long ride!

Nicoloc

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 12:47:43 PM »
if i were you, i would get away quickly from the sensha front derailleur.
The cable tension required is really high and have damage the bottom bracket cable routing piece on my frame.
I was also seeing some tilt back of the derailleur and was really anxious for the frame derailleur mount hardware...
I switch to a 105 and now works perfectly fine.

Other than that nice build :)
What is the overall cost ?
Nicoloc

Matt_C

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 02:27:55 PM »
The A9 has a screw in cable guide insert for the front derailleur cable so it won't get damaged... Hopefully

Matt_C

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 02:30:14 PM »
Finally, all done. Heaps of fun!

Wanted to cable with full housing and managed in the end, but I did find that some of the bends in the steering area were a bit tight.
The ZRACE disc pads are not very good and will change those immediately.

Rides well and looking forward to the first long ride!

This is the exact spec I plan to build my frames up with. Please keep us informed on the braking performance, did you use compressionless cable housing?  What is the final weight of the build? 

In2Fastbikes

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 10:14:43 PM »
if i were you, i would get away quickly from the sensha front derailleur.
The cable tension required is really high and have damage the bottom bracket cable routing piece on my frame.
I was also seeing some tilt back of the derailleur and was really anxious for the frame derailleur mount hardware...
I switch to a 105 and now works perfectly fine.

Other than that nice build :)
What is the overall cost ?
Nicoloc

Thanks @Nicoloc. I dream of doing away with the front derailleur, to the point where I am considering a hub shifting setup from Classified.
As Matt_C said the cable housing comes to the insert and then the cable comes out to the derailleur. As in the pic below. Did you have a problem with this setup? The build came in at about $1600 (including delivery) paying full retail for everything.
Scott

In2Fastbikes

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 10:23:58 PM »
This is the exact spec I plan to build my frames up with. Please keep us informed on the braking performance, did you use compressionless cable housing?  What is the final weight of the build?

Hi Matt_C, it seems a good value spec. I'll let you know when I have changed the brake pads, I discovered on a longer ride that the brakes are better once the rotors warm up a bit. Still not totally convincing though...we'll see. Yes, I used Jagwire compressionless housing (Road pro).

What wheels are you going to use on your build?
Scott

Matt_C

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 12:21:29 PM »
Have you ever used a full hydraulic set up? If so, how does the braking performance compare?

I have been using elite wheels but recently I have been having problems with their OEM hubs. Some play in the rear wheel and noise coming from the hub. Replaced the bearings and got a new freehub but it is starting to make noises again already. I really want to try their ratchet hubs but this one is giving me second thoughts.

In2Fastbikes

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 08:55:24 PM »
Have you ever used a full hydraulic set up? If so, how does the braking performance compare?

I have been using elite wheels but recently I have been having problems with their OEM hubs. Some play in the rear wheel and noise coming from the hub. Replaced the bearings and got a new freehub but it is starting to make noises again already. I really want to try their ratchet hubs but this one is giving me second thoughts.

Used full hydraulic before and prefer the performance and feel. The braking feels smoother, more consistent and far more reassuring. Thanks for the info on the Elite Wheels!
Scott