Author Topic: ICAN P9 build  (Read 6189 times)

Icyseanfitz

Re: ICAN P9 build
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 12:12:12 PM »
Build is finally finished, been a long year of getting the parts I wanted together with the shortage on parts/brexit. Needs a few good test runs to see how well/badly I put it together :D but it feels lovely, feels quite slack actually, I'll have to see whether ill keep it at 180 or reduce it, I figure the HA is somewhere around 64 at the moment with the increased fork travel and 1 degree offset bushings in the shock (which fixed my issue with play).

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 12:12:53 PM »

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2021, 03:28:59 PM »
Took it for its first spin today, climbs better than I thought it would tbh, not a great climbing bike or anything but it gets you there (although funnily enough I got a PB on the main climb), the 28t oval ring up front probably helps a lot. Lockout on the storia shock is lovely too.
The descending is going to take some getting used to  ;D this is my first 29er and it has made all my tricks for getting around awkward features on the trails absolutely irrelevant, I fully understand the term monster truck now. Scary the speed it carries once going, and that shock is just buttery smooth, hitting top 3 in my Strava times on my first runs.
So far, really really impressed. Heading out again tomorrow on it.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 09:58:31 PM »
having a bit of a weird issue that I cant for the life of me figure out guys, wondering if ye might have any ideas. So if I put a lot of power down through the left crank I am getting a weird knocking/play feel up through the pedal, it only happens on the left crank and not the right, and it happens once per crank rotation, doesn't matter whether I'm sitting or standing, and it is only when I put an excessive amount of force through the left crank. If I'm climbing or pedaling normally I wouldn't really notice it, but if I'm trying to get an extra hard crank in going down a trail I can feel it.

I've tried swapping cranks, bbs and pedals and nothing has changed it, there's no play that I can find in the linkage or shock, same with the rear wheel all seems good, the only thing I can think of that's left might be the freehub/cassette or derailleur but my gears are working perfectly and if it was that id assume it would be present on both the right and left cranks push so i doubt its that.

I am completely stumped tbh any ideas would be great

emu26

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 10:02:23 PM »
Have you checked if your cleats are loose?

Edit: Forget that, I see you are on flats.

carbonazza

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2021, 05:01:50 AM »
Build is finally finished, been a long year of getting the parts I wanted together with the shortage on parts/brexit. Needs a few good test runs to see how well/badly I put it together :D but it feels lovely, feels quite slack actually, I'll have to see whether ill keep it at 180 or reduce it, I figure the HA is somewhere around 64 at the moment with the increased fork travel and 1 degree offset bushings in the shock (which fixed my issue with play).

It is a OneUp tube tools right ? Does it fit a standard tapered fork ?
And one curious question, what have you attached to the top tube ?

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2021, 05:37:12 AM »
Yeah it's a oneup EDC tool, fits a a tapered steerer, and I have a fidlock bottle mount attached to the top tube

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2021, 10:05:25 AM »
so did a full strip down today, faced the bb shell a bit, rechecked and greased all the pivot and shock hardware and torqued to spec, took the rear wheel apart and checked freehub and everything seems perfect. I'm probably going to have to live with it at this stage but my god its such a weird problem that its wrecking my head ;D its so specific to power on the down stroke of the left crank. another minor detail I noticed is that the spokes in my rear wheel ping a bit after riding, but i checked the tension and tightened them a little and they all seemed okay.

Could it be a crack forming somewhere in the frame? Only thing left that i can think of to try is a different wheel and see if that solves it
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 10:15:17 AM by Icyseanfitz »

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2021, 03:19:29 PM »
Figured it out :-[ I put a rubber chainstay protector on last week, thought the clearance was enough but it was rubbing the right crank under load when I'd push the left, FML :D

emu26

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2021, 05:35:01 PM »
Figured it out :-[ I put a rubber chainstay protector on last week, thought the clearance was enough but it was rubbing the right crank under load when I'd push the left, FML :D

Flex in the frame or do you need to torque the crankset up tighter?

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2021, 05:48:39 PM »
No it's all good, I added another BB spacer which gave the cranks more clearance and now no more knocking, alternatively I could have just removed the cheap chainstay protector and I would have been good.

Just a note to make actually, the xtr m9100 crankset I bought doesn't work with this frame, q factor is too tight, was spinning freely with about 5ish mm clearance on both chainstays but it was leaving marks on the paint. Using a deore crankset currently but will buy an xt one
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 05:55:36 PM by Icyseanfitz »

afri123

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2021, 08:15:30 AM »
Headset - Chris king dropset in silver
Which Chris King Dropset did you put in? The GripLock Tapered S.H.I.S. IS42/28,6 to IS52/40 1 1/8"-1 1/2"?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 08:39:21 AM by afri123 »

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2021, 10:40:24 AM »
It's a dropset 2 in silver,  https://chrisking.com/products/dropset-2

stefanyo

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2021, 02:13:30 PM »
Which Chris King Dropset did you put in? The GripLock Tapered S.H.I.S. IS42/28,6 to IS52/40 1 1/8"-1 1/2"?

So am guessing  IS42/28,6 to IS52/40 1 1/8"-1 1/2" is the measurement of P9 headtube. Anyone can confirm this?

mb2bike

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2021, 02:47:50 PM »
So am guessing  IS42/28,6 to IS52/40 1 1/8"-1 1/2" is the measurement of P9 headtube. Anyone can confirm this?

Confirmed.