Author Topic: MY IP-256-SL Build  (Read 9918 times)

MY IP-256-SL Build
« on: October 05, 2014, 01:11:26 AM »
This is my first build and I am loving it. I had a great experience with Jason from IPLAY, very quick replies to all my questions even after I had all the parts.

The bike is looking like a 16 pounder when done.

Slowly adding info to my build spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fTNVjMzD6B7XmYcLuWvkbOyRyI69EELcRvSN5Zu2oNw/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:59:49 PM by kingchickenstrip »

MTNRCKT

Re: MY IP-256-SL Build
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 01:58:07 AM »
Like where this is headed.. Pretty much 100% Chinese carbon components. I'd like to build exactly this build, and then a full suspension using mostly chiner parts, and I'd be a content man.

16 pounds? That's ridiculously light.. and for what..under 2 grand? Can't be beat.

325racer

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 02:18:19 AM »
Single speed, no rear rotor?

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 08:25:05 AM »
Single speed, no rear rotor?
I am still working on it. I was really thinking it would take longer to get the parts from IPlay so I took my time ordering all the other parts. From the time I sent my first email asking about a price list to the time I had the box was 7 days, that has to be some kind of record!

Another problem I ran into was the rear hub. The hub was 12 mm but only 135mm wide. Of course I only notice after I had the hub laced to my new rim, taped, and full of Stans sealant. I called Bike Hub Store and they admitted they sent the wrong size. They also said I could keep the hub on because the axle can be changed with the proper 142mm size.

I received the last of my parts on Saturday.  Monday they will be going on the bike!

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 08:31:45 AM »
Like where this is headed.. Pretty much 100% Chinese carbon components. I'd like to build exactly this build, and then a full suspension using mostly chiner parts, and I'd be a content man.

16 pounds? That's ridiculously light.. and for what..under 2 grand? Can't be beat.

Ya I should be under $2k, but not sure yet. I need to add the prices to my build doc.

When I started i was going for $1500, but I really wanted the Race Face Next SL crank so that killed my first budget.

MTNRCKT

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
Ya I should be under $2k, but not sure yet. I need to add the prices to my build doc.

When I started i was going for $1500, but I really wanted the Race Face Next SL crank so that killed my first budget.

They're worth it. Especially since your bike is so fully carbon. 

brmeyer135

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 06:14:19 AM »
I am interested in hearing about the Next SL crank...if not for price, I would get one in a heartbeat.
Not sure of your goal, but if WW -- you could lose 1/2 lb + still
What spokes are you going with? - depending on that, you could have a 1400g wheelset there...and I like going with 32 hole for more strength on lighter rim..(depending on riding isn't necessary though)
Are you going with any color or design...I personally like the 'murdered out' look.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 10:55:03 PM »
I am interested in hearing about the Next SL crank...if not for price, I would get one in a heartbeat.
Not sure of your goal, but if WW -- you could lose 1/2 lb + still
What spokes are you going with? - depending on that, you could have a 1400g wheelset there...and I like going with 32 hole for more strength on lighter rim..(depending on riding isn't necessary though)
Are you going with any color or design...I personally like the 'murdered out' look.

I will be riding it this week, hopefully Wednesday. I went from a 170 to 175 crank, will be interesting to see if I can feel a difference.
The gearing is the same as my other bike.

I should of researched the spokes more. The wheel builder had 3 options in stock so I picked the middle weight spoke. They were DT Swiss but not sure what model.

I was thinking about paint but the all black looked really good when done. 

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »
Ready to ride!

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 04:20:05 AM »
That is a very nice 1x combination!

Could you please describe the different parts?
Cassette, derailleur and chainring.

As a european, I'm not fond on golden chains, but this may interest some others :)

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 03:46:05 PM »
That is a very nice 1x combination!

Could you please describe the different parts?
Cassette, derailleur and chainring.

As a european, I'm not fond on golden chains, but this may interest some others :)

I have been using this specific 1x combination for about a year now on my other hard tail.  The only difference is the crank, on my older bike its been converted from 3 chain rings to one narrow wide chain ring that mounts where the middle chain ring use to be.  I ordered the Race Face crank with the 32t narrow wide chain ring already installed.

Other parts are the 42t one up cog that works great!.
XT 11-36 cassette
Wolf Tooth 16t cog that works much better than the free one that comes with the On Up 42t cog. They were both the same weight.
I use and XT clutch derailleur that has been modified with a RAD cage. The RAD cage helps keep the derailleur close to all the smaller cogs on the cassette so shift feel is  very close to stock.
Threw on a few aluminum pulleys that were half the weight of the plastic ones.

Check out On Up and Wolf tooth web sites.
MTB forum has a HUGE thread on this very topic: http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/11-42t-conversion-oneup-vs-wolf-tooth-897313-62.html

This 1x10 setup is all I need. I have not dropped a chain since I started using it.  Love it!

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 12:14:07 AM »
The only add on I did for looks was the number 7257 in gloss black. 7257=16 pounds. I like how Ducati puts the engine size on the fairings and wanted to do the same thing in grams on my bike. The only problem is my bike is 17.5 not 16.5, I forgot to add the spokes  :o Now I have to loose half a pound so I can keep the sticker!

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 12:45:53 AM »
First ride done!! I really need to invest in some carbon assembly compound!!! I was having issues with my handle bars and seat post moving around. I tried tightening them but they kept moving. I stopped 5 times on my hour ride to adjust my bars. I just ordered some of this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GSOPBK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had my tires set to 30 PSI and it was way smoother than I thought it would be. I had been riding my other bike with the shock locked out for the last 3 weeks to get an idea how it would feel. I do have a little less clearance with the rigid fork, and the longer crank, 175mm.  My hard tail Giant has a 120mm shock and 170mm crank. The Giant is the only other mountain bike I have owned.

I will be able to give a better review when I get the bars and seat post problem solved.

It is nice to finally see the bike dirty!

Re: MY IP-256-SL Build update
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 03:04:56 AM »
I have been riding my 21" rigid IP 256 for about a year and a half. I am 6'2" 220 pounds, my bike is 16.6 pounds.  I thought I would give an update on how its been going.

I am always looking for lighter parts to try out on the bike.  I had  a response cassette along with the one up RADr derailleur cage mod. I was never really happy with how it was shifting. I finally went with an XTR 11 speed derailleur, shifter and 11-40 cassette. I could not believe how much better the shifting was. I added the one up 45 tooth cog to the mix and it still shifted great, I was using a 32t ring up front. I still was missing the top end speed. I ended up with the e13 9-44t cassette. The hub I was using from Bike Hub Store had interchangeable parts, so I could just get the XD driver which was required for the e13 cassette. I finally had a rage I could live with, and it still shifted as good as the XTR cassette.

I Had no idea how I would like riding a rigid mountain bike, with a carbon seat. I was surprised how much I liked it. Most of my rides are around an hour after work. On weekends I will do longer 2-3 hour rides, and have no issues with comfort. I ride all the same spots as when I had my hardtail. I never did crazy downhill or big jumps so the rigid was perfect for me. 

The axles were the last big weight savings. I am using a Extralite Black lock rear axle, and a Shift Up 15mm thru axle that is specifically designed for the rigid carbon fork. Both axles come to 69g. The front axle that came with the rigid fork is 82g. The rear that came with the bike was even more. I had purchased a lighter one on ebay that was 70g, but still double the weight of the Extralite rear axle.

As far as durability of the 256 I have only had one crash, and I was more damaged than the bike. In October I was on my usual after work ride going down a hill around 38mph and lost control. I don't remember the ride that day or anything for the next 5 days. I was in a medical induced coma for the first 3 days with a diagnosis of diffuse axonal brain injury. Lucky for me I have a heard head and was out of the ICU in 6 Days. The doctors thought I would be recovering for the next year learning  to walk and talk again. After a few weeks I was back to normal, with a few small breaks (face and ribs). The front rim was cracked, I am guessing from hitting one of the wood steps I was suppose to jump over. I called Jason and ordered a new rim. I had one other chip, on the frame but it was very small and just barely noticeable. The bike was ready and I was riding again in December.

I am not sure if I like this bike so much because it's a great bike or because it's a good bike that I built AND is functional. Purchasing a frame and building a bike really makes me appreciate so much more than just the ride. I have learned so much about bikes going through this build. I am a car mechanic, and have a great place to work on my bike. I have been purchasing bike tools as I need them. I enjoy helping my friends with their bikes, and showing them how to maintain them.

I love my rigid bike! I feel like It is complete, there is nothing I want to change. I am sure when I am older (I am 43) and start to feel the aches and pains from years of riding I will go back to suspension. For now I am just gong to enjoy the ride. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 03:07:51 AM by kingchickenstrip »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 10:56:53 AM »
Wow, kingchickenstrip, that's a scary story about your one and only crash on your IP-256.  At first I thought maybe you were exaggerating about how fast you were going then I read about the injuries, my gosh I am glad to hear you recovered quickly and you are back to riding.

Thanks for posting the update about your ride time on your bike as well.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA