Author Topic: ZRace Disc Brakes  (Read 13382 times)

TidyDinosaur

Re: ZRace Disc Brakes
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2022, 11:47:10 AM »
What do you mean with brake modulation?

coffeebreak

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2022, 11:56:45 AM »
The open end of the brake cable housing is pointing upward where it is connected to the brake calliper. This means water and dirt can get inside and create extra resistance for the cable... I have ordered these rubber dust covers to put on there, but I don't know if it's not already too late  :(
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000154839195.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.38381802HfMcOW

Thanks for the idea. I didn't realize that design could result issues but makes perfect sense. I'll probably look for these in LBS though. Can't wait a month to get these from Aliex. Shipping speeds are all over the place - some items reach here in 2 weeks with free shipping, sometimes even less and some with paid shipping take more than 3 weeks.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2022, 11:59:06 AM »
Yeah, cheap stuff gets here in a week sometimes... Meanwhile after a month I am still waiting for a wheelset I paid extra for DPD shipping... Doesn't seem to be in the country even...

jonathanf2

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2022, 05:10:22 PM »
What do you mean with brake modulation?

Cycling definition:

Brake modulation is the ability to precisely and accurately control the amount of clamp force on a rotor (or rim, which in some ways is just a big rotor, anyway) with a given amount of lever input.

I guess it also applies to brake pull as well. I barely have to squeeze my Juin Tech calipers for them to lock the brakes. My GRX hydraulic calipers have even more bite on the rotors.

Tijoe

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2022, 06:55:19 PM »
Yeah, cheap stuff gets here in a week sometimes... Meanwhile after a month I am still waiting for a wheelset I paid extra for DPD shipping... Doesn't seem to be in the country even...

I am in the same boat.  I ordered 9 items on Nov 3rd.  6 or the 9 items have arrived.  I am waiting on a pair of carbon rims. (Still no tracking information on Aliexpress, but store swears they shipped right away.  A rear 148 MS hub, and Fat tire carbon front fork are also lagging way behind the rest of the items.)

The set of IIIPRO E4 Mountain Bike Brakes I ordered arrived in less than 10 days.   
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 06:57:03 PM by Tijoe »

jonathanf2

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2022, 09:42:01 AM »
I am in the same boat.  I ordered 9 items on Nov 3rd.  6 or the 9 items have arrived.  I am waiting on a pair of carbon rims. (Still no tracking information on Aliexpress, but store swears they shipped right away.  A rear 148 MS hub, and Fat tire carbon front fork are also lagging way behind the rest of the items.)

The set of IIIPRO E4 Mountain Bike Brakes I ordered arrived in less than 10 days.

We should compile a list of sellers who ship items fast. I've received items from Ali that come faster than items I purchase domestically from Ebay.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2022, 09:50:11 AM »
I think it has to do with the method of shipping. Big items with DPD shipping I guess first take a slow route (boat, train, truck??) to Europe and are than handed to DPD. I today received a frame I ordered on 10 november... 2+ weeks of no tracking and than at once yesterday it was in the DPD system in my country and delivered today...

Ordered the wheelset on 01/11. Also with DPD but the tracking says it is only registered with dpd but not received.

The small stuff gets put in a bag, put on a plain and flown to the country of the receiver...

coffeebreak

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2022, 01:22:00 PM »
We should compile a list of sellers who ship items fast. I've received items from Ali that come faster than items I purchase domestically from Ebay.

You are lucky! The only overseas item that came to me faster than domestic shipping are ones sent by Japanese camera equipment sellers on eBay (MAP camera for example). But yes, a list like that would be helpful.

On Aliex, the fastest shipping I had was from Zrace for rotors. I wish I had ordered the whole caliper, rotor, pad package from them in one go instead of Onirii.
On second position, Rockbros and IIIPro.

jonathanf2

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2022, 09:45:26 AM »
I swapped out my LTwoo GR9 shifters for my other pair of Sensah Team Pro shifters and the brake pull feels much better on the Sensah setup with the Onirii/ZRace BR-005 brake calipers. It feels almost as good as my 105/Juin Tech F1 combo on my other bike and Sensah shifters allow brake pull adjustments from the hoods via a hex screw which allowed me to dial the brake feel directly. Even using the barrel adjustment on the BR-005 calipers and pad space adjuster, I just couldn't get the LTwoo brakes dialed in correctly. It's unfortunate as well, because the index shifting on the LTwoo calipers are a bit more precise than Sensah's shifting implementation.

Tijoe

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2022, 12:38:03 PM »
I think it has to do with the method of shipping. Big items with DPD shipping I guess first take a slow route (boat, train, truck??) to Europe and are than handed to DPD. I today received a frame I ordered on 10 november... 2+ weeks of no tracking and than at once yesterday it was in the DPD system in my country and delivered today...

Ordered the wheelset on 01/11. Also with DPD but the tracking says it is only registered with dpd but not received.

The small stuff gets put in a bag, put on a plain and flown to the country of the receiver...

The Fiberin 280 gram carbon mtb. rims I ordered on Nov. 3rd arrived this morning.    They are sweet and appear to be high quality and great finish.  Now, ASAP,  I have to build another pair of boost wheels.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2022, 01:54:24 PM »
The Fiberin 280 gram carbon mtb. rims I ordered on Nov. 3rd arrived this morning.    They are sweet and appear to be high quality and great finish.  Now, ASAP,  I have to build another pair of boost wheels.

My fiberin wheels arrived today after exactly 1 month.  :)

coffeebreak

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2022, 01:36:44 PM »
Back to BR-05 brakes, have ridden the bike in snow+rain for about 100 miles since installation and brakes are getting better. Definitely needed longer than expected for them to settle in but good bite and reasonable modulation control.

I’m on default pads they came in. The rear squeals when wet but front doesn’t. All in all, pretty good performance. I’m sure in dry, summery conditions they would be even better. Rear is 140mm rotor, have ordered 160mm (Zrace) to match the front.

jonathanf2

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2022, 06:30:21 PM »
I was finally able to test ride my latest build with Onirii/ZRace BR-05 calipers running stock pads and regular brake cable housing. I also have a full GRX hydraulic bike and a Juin Tech F1 equipped bike to compare with. I'd rate the BR-05 calipers in 3rd place regarding brake performance compared to my other brakes, but in the context of sub-$50 USD brake they're quite good. The stock pads don't have as much bite as the Juin Tech pads, but they still work well. Also it probably helps to have shift/brake levers that allow brake pull adjustments.

Unfortunately I could not get these brakes to work well with LTwoo GR9 levers, which doesn't allow brake pull adjustments while using internal cable routed drop bars. I'm bummed because the LTwoo shifting has a very solid shift engagement. I almost thought the BR-05 calipers themselves were faulty until I swapped them out for Sensah Team Pro levers that allow brake pull adjustments and I was able to dial them in. Basically I tightened up cable slack at both ends of the caliper and shift levers.

I'd definitely recommend these brakes if you're on a budget or you're building a winter/backup bike. If you're building a primary bike, I'd consider paying extra for Juin Tech calipers or going full hydraulic if budget allows it.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 06:37:53 PM by jonathanf2 »

coffeebreak

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2022, 07:38:15 PM »
but in the context of sub-$50 USD brake they're quite good.

That’s the thing, $49 all in (for black color) is pretty good anyway you cut it. The Juin Techs are $150. Not sure of they are three times better than BR-05s?

jonathanf2

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2022, 07:56:11 PM »
That’s the thing, $49 all in (for black color) is pretty good anyway you cut it. The Juin Techs are $150. Not sure of they are three times better than BR-05s?

I just realized I had my BR-05 calipers setup wrong after watching Trace Velo's latest video! He's also running the same calipers. I redid mine in 5 minutes and the brake pull is ridiculously tight. They're almost on par with my Juin Tech F1 calipers on my 105 bike, but it might even come down to the shifters being different. Now I'm thoroughly impressed. For the price, I might even say they're the better value brake calipers, but I'll have to go on several rides before giving a long term endorsement. The Juin Tech's have worked well on 45+ mph descents, so I'll have to put the BR-05 through the same type of braking.

Ugh, now I'm wondering if I should give the LTwoo GR9 shifters a try again, but I already put the bar tape on the drop bars with the Sensah shifters! Lol