Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 198891 times)

Unsworn5836

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1680 on: September 24, 2023, 04:50:39 AM »
Ok, my claim was blocked by velobuild.
On the one hand i should try whether the point feels soft, on the other side the engineer said its full carbon. So it's probably only the paint.
Without grinding down, I wont be sure.

TCal

« Reply #1681 on: October 07, 2023, 10:15:20 PM »
Hi guys, thank you for all your advice, here is finally my bike mounted.
Very happy final weight:7 kg pedals.
Two exits the first two hours per setup, the second over 4 hours and a drop 1600 meters, excellent sensations.
@dalon  May I ask about your decals? they are beutiful. i am thinking of making my own "brand" for my upcoming 168 build. where did you buy it? Thanks.

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #1682 on: October 09, 2023, 03:47:26 PM »

And it fit the frame ok? Mind sharing which hanger that was? Thanks!

Search this thread for my posts. I think I put a link to everything I bought. Can’t remember off hand but it was a Cube hanger.

TCal

« Reply #1683 on: October 09, 2023, 09:54:01 PM »
Hey folks. 
has anybody had to machine their caliper mounts down?  Just doing my do diliegence on all aspects.  i am reading a lot of creative solutions on the stem, have not read yet any issues with the flat maounts being uneven or needing machining.
Thanks.
This thread is so long and informative, is taking me weeks to get through it.  :D

BerndSon

« Reply #1684 on: October 12, 2023, 02:56:50 PM »
Hi there ,

finished my build already some time ago and now found the time to wrap it up in a Summary after approx. 4000k and 60000m of elevation gain on my vbr-168.
I have remained loyal to my old Stevens road bike for many years and now wanted to build a technically up-to-date and decent looking but reasonably priced bike which accompanies me (climber by heart, sprinter by Body Mass Index) on my tours through the austrian alps.
Ordering Process was quite smooth, the Chrisses have been patient with me when i changed the paint mockup several times. After painting, it took two more weeks until they had everything together since they have been short on accessory parts back then.

Shipping to Austria took 12 days, shipped with XDB-DPD since austrian custom regulations are a nightmare and need to be avoided at all cost.
Frame in size 58 came in at surprinsingly low 1054 grams (including screws, without seatpost clamp, hangers and through axles)
I ordered the Frameset with seperate bar and stem (with two different stems for bike fitting options).
Unfortunately they sent both stems in the same size. Since i didn`t like the bulky and heavy stem and spacers, i only built it far enough for a proper bike fit and then changed it to a fully integrated cockpit purchased on alibaba.
This saved more than 100grams and greatly improved the look in my opinion.
Paint of frame and fork was exactly like defined and quality satisfying for me.

Final Configuration:
  • vbr-168 in size 58
  • OEM Version of "The One Pro" Handlebar, directly from Manufacturer via Alibaba in 440/100 including their garmin mount
  • VB Saddle
  • VB bottle cages
  • Shimano Ultegra Di2 8100 Groupset with 11-30 Cassette and 50-34 Q-rings (refitted from my old 11sp bike since back in spring no brand offered ovals for Shimano 12sp  :o)
  • DT Swiss ARC1100 db50 Wheelset
  • Tubolito tubes and Conti GP5000s 28mm TDF edition (quite heavy but other than that perfect for me)
  • Supacaz handlebar tape
  • Favero Assioma PM Pedals
--> weights in at 7.8Kg including everything mentioned above.

I never built a bike before but would describe myself as quite passable in terms of craftsmanship.
Since i already knew about the Headset issues from reading here, i paid some attention to it and found a way which worked for me (even with the old C-ring and VB parts)
Details to be seen here:
http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3147.msg45858.html#msg45858

Some weeks later, VB announced the new C-ring design which most likely will solve the main problem but i still find it to be poorly designed.
Furthermore, i´ve been affected by the issue that the saddle had been somehow twisted. Other members experienced this issue too and we found out its caused by too much play between seat post and seat tube and a clamping mechanism that forces the seat post to twist to one side, - more to be seen here:
http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3147.msg45220.html#msg45220

The only additional thing i would like to highlight is that prior to the assembly it is a good idea to check all the contact surfaces for Headset bearings and especially those for the alumnium inlets /wheel mounting parts at the fork and rear wheel area. Found some excessice resin or coat there which i had to grind down in order to maintain a smooth and even contact.

Conclusion: I´ve been prepared to deal with some minor issues but the one with the seatpost was a surprise. Finally all problems could be solved with reasonable effort (also thanks to the hints in this Thread!) so i am O.K with it. Generally i am satisfied with the project and would buy the frame again.  Meanwhile i purchased and built some more frames (one VBR177, two gf002) which i will post somewhen later in the respective threads.

I don´t ride any crits but occassionally gran fondos / marathons and hillclimbs. So I wasn`t looking for an ultimately stiff crit racer, but it should feel reasonably stiff and safe, -no matter whether i throw in my 80 kg for a >1500W Sprint or if a fast descent on a rough pass road is on the agenda.
So far the bike meets this requirement perfectly in my opinion, I can not report anything negative in this regard.

ride on,
Bernd
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 03:34:05 PM by BerndSon »

TCal

« Reply #1685 on: October 12, 2023, 05:21:19 PM »
Frames received. Ordered a Cx-002 and a VBR-168 both in 56 to do slow builds in the spring. Reporting here that they arrived to the US in a very fast 5 business days.  Both frames look fantastic, well crafted , no blemishes that I can see.  Noticed that the seatpost have a grippy surface , I suspect in response to the numerous reports on slippage. All headset bearing included. As well as extra RD hangers.  Received one seatpost dust cover rather than two. Minor issue. Looking forward to a thrilling spring doing these builds.

TCal

« Reply #1686 on: October 12, 2023, 05:32:18 PM »
Hi there ,

finished my build already some time ago and now found the time to wrap it up in a Summary after approx. 4000k and 60000m of elevation gain on my vbr-168.

Beautiful build and paint scheme. Congrats. Small question , what is happening with the seatpost dustcover? Seems to overhang to the back? Not being picky, just trying to figure out what to expect on my own build. Thanks.

joegal

« Reply #1687 on: October 13, 2023, 12:58:50 AM »
Beautiful build and paint scheme. Congrats. Small question , what is happening with the seatpost dustcover? Seems to overhang to the back? Not being picky, just trying to figure out what to expect on my own build. Thanks.

That overhang is normal on the velobuild cover.
I also thought about trimming it, but i am not sure if it will look better.

Maybe i will getw the specialized grommet, that seems to be better!

But its nice that they include a seatpost grommet now!

BerndSon

« Reply #1688 on: October 13, 2023, 02:13:03 AM »

thanks, yes, as mentioned by joegal, this is how the VB-one looks.
It´s awful so i immediately ordered a specialized part at my local bike shop but somehow didn`t find the time to pick it up. Thanks for the reminder!

TCal

« Reply #1689 on: October 13, 2023, 07:29:32 AM »
Hey folks.
Would like to hear more about internal cable routing. I am going full mechanical with my build. Would love to hear about how to deal with internally routed cable housing on derailleurs and rear break. For instance on the rear derailleur does the housing go through frame all the way back to the point the inner cable exits the frame? Is there a ferrule needed at the tip of the housing cable, before it exits the frame? The same question goes for the front derailleur, does the cable housing routes through frame from shifter all the way through the frame to the point it exits the frame?

This may be a topic that has been discussed before , a link to a previous post is also appreciated.

Thanks again community.

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #1690 on: October 13, 2023, 02:49:00 PM »
Hey folks.
Would like to hear more about internal cable routing. I am going full mechanical with my build. Would love to hear about how to deal with internally routed cable housing on derailleurs and rear break. For instance on the rear derailleur does the housing go through frame all the way back to the point the inner cable exits the frame? Is there a ferrule needed at the tip of the housing cable, before it exits the frame? The same question goes for the front derailleur, does the cable housing routes through frame from shifter all the way through the frame to the point it exits the frame?

This may be a topic that has been discussed before , a link to a previous post is also appreciated.

Thanks again community.

I did full housing from the shifter to the rear derailleur. No internal guides from what I could see. I can’t help with the front derailleur though, I did 1x.

Honda118

« Reply #1691 on: October 13, 2023, 07:14:11 PM »
Mine is Di2 - no issues.

M32CP

« Reply #1692 on: October 26, 2023, 04:50:32 AM »
Hi Guys, just finished my SRAM Force AXS Etap build. Unfortunately, my right crankarm is hitting the front derailleur slightly. Did anyone else have that problem before? If so, how do I fix it? I'm using the SRAM Dub Pressfit BB. Thanks for any help!

TCal

« Reply #1693 on: October 26, 2023, 04:50:47 PM »
Hi Guys, just finished my SRAM Force AXS Etap build. Unfortunately, my right crankarm is hitting the front derailleur slightly. Did anyone else have that problem before? If so, how do I fix it? I'm using the SRAM Dub Pressfit BB. Thanks for any help!
perhaps a spacer on the drive side?

xoloroco

« Reply #1694 on: November 28, 2023, 04:41:27 PM »
Hello everyone, I finished my VB-R-168 a few days ago. I've been testing it and I have a little problem with the disc brakes, which are Force AXS. When pedaling standing up and tilting the bicycle, the pads rub slightly. I would like to know if they have happened to them.
I have also changed the derailleur hanger and put this one on it:  https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005001741343749.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.35.7768194dtsW8Rn&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp.