Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 198429 times)

Zdrenka89

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2021, 05:19:18 AM »
You got it. I shoved the battery and wireless transmitter both in the seatpost without issue. The cockpit is so clean that my junction box sticks out like a sore thumb now. In retrospect I would have spend the extra money for an internal handlebar junction A.

Build is 97% complete as I'm just missing a couple of parts but took it for my first 70k ride this am! Felt awesome. Definitely a better fit for me personally. The bars weren't as flexible as I thought although they aren't suuper stiff. I also liked the curved shape of them and wasn't sure about them at first. Climbs well, very responsive. Overall very happy so far.

Lovely build! I like the personalization you did!

What size tires have you fitted?

hazzer19

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2021, 10:12:00 AM »
Lovely build! I like the personalization you did!

What size tires have you fitted?

Thanks! I'm on 28 size tires. The back is currently set up tubeless while I had to put a tube in the front due to a cut that has outlasted its repair. Will be fitting on new Schwalbe Pro One Evo setup tubeless for back in front soon. I think the frame says it can handle up to a 32 tire and it's clear there is ample room now.

wijmaar

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2021, 10:44:00 AM »
You got it. I shoved the battery and wireless transmitter both in the seatpost without issue. The cockpit is so clean that my junction box sticks out like a sore thumb now. In retrospect I would have spend the extra money for an internal handlebar junction A.

Build is 97% complete as I'm just missing a couple of parts but took it for my first 70k ride this am! Felt awesome. Definitely a better fit for me personally. The bars weren't as flexible as I thought although they aren't suuper stiff. I also liked the curved shape of them and wasn't sure about them at first. Climbs well, very responsive. Overall very happy so far.

Really fantastic build! Great to see the bike coming to life :). I'm waiting for mine to be shipped, excited! How is the quality of the thru axles? I have read some negative reviews about the standard Velobuild ones.

hazzer19

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2021, 11:05:25 AM »
Thanks! I'm waiting on a R8000 crank to arrive so it can match the PM on the other side (still keeping the AbsoluteBlack chainring), some decals and new tubeless tires.

So far I've found the axles to work really well, no complaints there. They are hex and not torx as I think I saw at some point?

braincore

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2021, 02:42:20 PM »
When I was reading that the back brake mounts could take a 160 rotor I thought this meant without the adapter, as in the caliper mounted directly to the frame as I've seen this before but maybe only for 140? Had to mount it with the adapter like my previous frame.

Did you use the SM-MA-R160D adapter? https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-8NU0A-001-00-ENG.pdf

Wondering whether I should use a 140mm rotor or an adapter.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 03:48:47 PM by braincore »

1Sigma

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2021, 04:21:36 PM »
Did you use the SM-MA-R160D adapter? https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-8NU0A-001-00-ENG.pdf

Could stick with a 140 if you wanted to save a few $$$ and a few grams
Don't think braking performance will be affected much
Better than average - Extra Average

hazzer19

« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2021, 05:03:23 PM »

Yes I used an adapter and the 160 rotor. Thought I could use the 160 without an adapter but missunderstood.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2021, 01:07:26 AM »
Thanks! I'm on 28 size tires. The back is currently set up tubeless while I had to put a tube in the front due to a cut that has outlasted its repair. Will be fitting on new Schwalbe Pro One Evo setup tubeless for back in front soon. I think the frame says it can handle up to a 32 tire and it's clear there is ample room now.

Thats great news! I was planning on fittings as big a tire as the frame would allow.

What out-front mount are you using for your Wahoo?

hazzer19

« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2021, 10:28:57 AM »
Thats great news! I was planning on fittings as big a tire as the frame would allow.

What out-front mount are you using for your Wahoo?

Last night I finally mounted a new pair of Schwalbe Pro One tubeless after a visit to the compressor at my local gas station. They seem to run more narrow than the previous generation Pro One's I had on prior but they may just need some more air and to get settled better.

The mount I got is the one below. I like it because it has one long cut out for the bolts instead of two which may give you more options in terms of  how far forward or backward you want to mount it. Downside is that if you don't plan on using the Garmin/light mount below which is on the heavier side, you may not have anything to screw the computer mount top piece above, unless I'm missing something as the mount does come with a number of pieces.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001849052644.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4e034c4d4FiaD8

mortenma

« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2021, 06:52:43 PM »
My order should be already in my country (according to wxy-shipping), but the DPD link Chris sent me shows that it has not even been posted yet! Have you had similar issues or is there something wrong?

Jarne

« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2021, 10:08:38 PM »
Hi, it will take a couple of days. (in my case it was 4days) but when dpd picked it up it was at my home the day after that! It arrived yesterday and looks awesome!

Zdrenka89

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2021, 01:14:43 AM »
Last night I finally mounted a new pair of Schwalbe Pro One tubeless after a visit to the compressor at my local gas station. They seem to run more narrow than the previous generation Pro One's I had on prior but they may just need some more air and to get settled better.

The mount I got is the one below. I like it because it has one long cut out for the bolts instead of two which may give you more options in terms of  how far forward or backward you want to mount it. Downside is that if you don't plan on using the Garmin/light mount below which is on the heavier side, you may not have anything to screw the computer mount top piece above, unless I'm missing something as the mount does come with a number of pieces.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001849052644.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4e034c4d4FiaD8

Thanks for the feedback - I actually need a light mount, so its perfect.

About the tires  - my experience is that old tires balloon 1-2mm over time from holding pressure over a couple of months. So it sounds very normal.

I'm currently planning on running two wheelsets. One LB WR45 wheelset with 30c Pro Ones for the road, and one wheelset with 33c cyclocross tires for the beaten path. It looks like the cutout in the seattube is the limiting factor in the back. How about the fork? Do you think such a tire could clear?

wijmaar

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2021, 01:25:10 AM »
I am looking for a jig to cut the steerer tube. Anybody knows the diameter of the tube? Tx!

Zoc

« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2021, 03:26:58 AM »
should be 28.6 mm

FHS

« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2021, 12:13:58 PM »
I am looking for a jig to cut the steerer tube. Anybody knows the diameter of the tube? Tx!

There are some nice specialty jigs out there, but, unless you're cutting steerer tubes on multiple bikes multiple times, it was difficult to justify the price. I had one of these in.my tool box so I tried it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XAK72Q2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_7RYW9ET805XHCBWYMMYN

Worked fine. Probably took a  bit longer to cut, but after some sanding and clear nail polish, it looks great.