Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201570 times)

memebike

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1125 on: June 30, 2022, 12:13:42 AM »

100% After installing a pressfit BB in my new 168 frame I had to hammer it out only two days after because I accidentally disconnected some wires. Threaded pressfit BB's after that!

was struggling to find a threaded dub bb that worked, to be fair i looked for about 3 minutes before i ordered the sram pressfit bb lol

Zoc

« Reply #1126 on: June 30, 2022, 08:43:52 AM »
has anybody tried a different handlebar on the 168

I ordered this one
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003979283641.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.0.0.2f106368sUIBsJ&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu

should arrive middle of july,
hope it fits

Kirkspants

« Reply #1127 on: June 30, 2022, 08:56:44 PM »
My Velobuild 168 arrived in the mail today. 52 cm. I think I got lucky!!

Paint looks good and as advertised, although I swear the pearl white looks a little off white or I could just be seeing things.

After a cursory glance around, interior looks good. You can definitely see where they glue the different sections together, but otherwise looks fine.

Annoyingly, one of the “nuts” for the steerer clamp on the stem did not make it to my house along with the rest of the frame. Emailing Chris tonight.

I purchased the separate stem/handlebar (110 mm, 42 cm) with the bike and other than the missing part, it looks good.

See photos. I came up with the scheme one night after a long day at work. Pearl white, metallic silver, loud pink. The loud pink is nice.

This all being said, does anyone want to take this off my hands? This project is getting terminated due to unforeseen circumstances and if anyone wants it let me know? ( I hope this bit doesn’t violate the forum policies; if it does I can remove it!)

hazzer19

« Reply #1128 on: July 01, 2022, 01:16:04 PM »
Nice colorway!

Not sure how much traffic it get but there's also the classified section of the forum you could post an ad to http://chinertown.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

Kirkspants

« Reply #1129 on: July 01, 2022, 04:20:21 PM »
I’ll get it up there after work. Thanks!!

In a “good news” update, Chris replied promptly and my nuts are in the mail! (Well, that is what he said at least.)

darc16

« Reply #1130 on: July 07, 2022, 09:29:05 PM »
Ordered my frame on 6/28 and it arrived at my house on 7/5.  I thought it would take a lot longer to ship so I  was waiting to order wheels and other parts for the build.

stmbike

« Reply #1131 on: July 12, 2022, 02:41:01 AM »
Hello. I realized that my steering has a little clearence.
I can feel it if I press the front brake and moving the bike back and forward.
I fix it but after few rides comes again. I know some of you had same issue. How did you solve?

Sanderman91

« Reply #1132 on: July 12, 2022, 02:55:08 AM »
Hello. I realized that my steering has a little clearence.
I can feel it if I press the front brake and moving the bike back and forward.
I fix it but after few rides comes again. I know some of you had same issue. How did you solve?

I've had issues with headset play too. The expander plug would come up after some bumps, but I didn't want to put more torque on it as it is a carbon fork. I bought a longer expansion plug that has more contact surface with the fork. Problem seems solved now, I can preload the headset and remove any play. This is the plug I ordered (dutch webshop): https://www.futurumshop.nl/pro-gap-cap-expander-long-carbon-50-mm-1-1-8.phtml

stmbike

« Reply #1133 on: July 13, 2022, 01:55:40 AM »
I've had issues with headset play too. The expander plug would come up after some bumps, but I didn't want to put more torque on it as it is a carbon fork. I bought a longer expansion plug that has more contact surface with the fork. Problem seems solved now, I can preload the headset and remove any play. This is the plug I ordered (dutch webshop): https://www.futurumshop.nl/pro-gap-cap-expander-long-carbon-50-mm-1-1-8.phtml
I changed the expander also with one longer, and I checked that the expander is well fixed. I think something is not ok in the headset or spacers. I’ve to apply too much torque in the top cover to eliminate the play, and after some rides appears again.

patliean1

« Reply #1134 on: July 13, 2022, 08:46:05 AM »
Common reasons for headset play.

1. Not enough spacers above the stem (or the steerer tube isn't cut low enough) to allow the top cap to fully compress the expander plug and headset stack.

2. Upper and lower headset bearings are slightly two different thickness. Some brands require a specific headset arrangement for the top and the bottom, but I don't think this is the case with VeloBuild. Usually the thicker bearing is on top.

3. The upper headset bearing is too far recessed into the head tube bearing cup, or the supplied metal headset C-clip isn't thick/tall enough to prevent the black plastic headset cover from rubbing on the head tube of the frame.

I typically torque the expander plug around 10-11nm. The top cap however should only need 3-5nm, just enough to compress the headset stack to remove any play. Anything more than that means something is wrong.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 08:59:24 AM by patliean1 »

s3si1u

« Reply #1135 on: July 13, 2022, 01:38:43 PM »
I would suggest trying everything patilean has suggested.
My 177 also had headset play and after trying various fixes I think my problem was (mainly) that the steerer tube is just a hair too tall. I should have cut one more millimeter. Also, the top cap fits a little funky, so switching to a better top cap+spacer above the stem cleared up any headset issues.
Velobuild can supply a taller headset half ring and that might also help with play issues. Others have also mentioned micro shims under the headset top cover as a possible remedy for headset play.

springs

« Reply #1136 on: July 13, 2022, 07:26:26 PM »
Also check and clean the outside of the steerer tube and the inside of the stem clamping area with alcohol or acetone. These surfaces keep things in place.

shHH

« Reply #1137 on: July 14, 2022, 07:02:17 AM »
Hi all,
I finished my build in june and have driven it 1300 km since then. I really like the bike in general  :). Luckily I am one of the persons without one of the common quality problems, beside the following issue.
As some other guys i have to use micro spacers, to get get enough space between the top cover of the headset and the head tube. Otherwise the top cover would touch the head tube when compressing the headset.
Unfortunalely my microspacer arrangement slips out of place form time to time, which leads to a loose headset. I attached two photos, to illustrate the problem.
Maybe you can share picutes of your microspacer arrangement or any other advice on how I can address the problem would be very much appreciated. thanks in andvance

davidshinobi

« Reply #1138 on: July 14, 2022, 09:37:33 AM »
Has anyone else experienced this?

I heard from another 168 owner that he is having shifting issues due to tension of the cables or something to that effect, not quite sure what he means.
I'm about 95% sold on buying one but everytime Im about to buy, I hear something that stops me.

patliean1

« Reply #1139 on: July 14, 2022, 09:54:45 AM »
Has anyone else experienced this?

I heard from another 168 owner that he is having shifting issues due to tension of the cables or something to that effect, not quite sure what he means.
I'm about 95% sold on buying one but everytime Im about to buy, I hear something that stops me.

It's important to differentiate between user error, and actual bike frame defects / customers being sent the wrong hardware.
Plenty of folks in here including myself have built up multiple bikes this year with none of the aforementioned issues.

Keep in mind the majority of folks in here are DIY home bike mechanics. Experience comes from user trial and error.