Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 127755 times)

StefanB

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #1260 on: October 10, 2022, 10:59:51 PM »
I have now been riding the AM831 4-5 times on trails and it fells nice. I haven't jumped or pushed it hard downhills though. This weekend i rode with my son and we pedaled uphill on a road and he said, "Dad, it looks like you have a tail, its wiggling, I think you back wheel is loose".

I stopped and checked the wheel, everything was tightened but when I took the wheel in my hand I could flex the rear triangle a lot. I felt his rear triangle and it was stiff (LCFS911) and my wife's rear triangle was also stiff (LCFS713).

I haven't felt this when riding but it made me feel insecure, can I trust the bike if things go rough. I have done the " JJJ flexfix" but I can not imagine that it was even flexier before that. Could i have "flexfixed" it wrong or is the result not better than this.

Made a video of the flex.

Hoping for helpfull feedback

StefanB

« Reply #1261 on: October 11, 2022, 02:19:01 AM »
It seems that you can not see the video?

If you search on Youtube you must find it. Search for: tideace am831 flex

Here are the links again

cybrsrce

« Reply #1262 on: October 11, 2022, 05:38:01 AM »
I have now been riding the AM831 4-5 times on trails and it fells nice. I haven't jumped or pushed it hard downhills though. This weekend i rode with my son and we pedaled uphill on a road and he said, "Dad, it looks like you have a tail, its wiggling, I think you back wheel is loose".

I stopped and checked the wheel, everything was tightened but when I took the wheel in my hand I could flex the rear triangle a lot. I felt his rear triangle and it was stiff (LCFS911) and my wife's rear triangle was also stiff (LCFS713).

I haven't felt this when riding but it made me feel insecure, can I trust the bike if things go rough. I have done the " JJJ flexfix" but I can not imagine that it was even flexier before that. Could i have "flexfixed" it wrong or is the result not better than this.

Made a video of the flex.

Hoping for helpfull feedback

So I have good news and bad news for you.  The good news is that there is a fix and it makes the bike really stable and predictable.  The bad news is that it is the updated rear triangle which is an additional $300USD.

StefanB

« Reply #1263 on: October 11, 2022, 01:01:42 PM »
Im not ready to spend 300 USB + shipping on this frame that I don´t really trust, will it be 100% good or just quite alright... . I would rather move everything over to a frame I trust. (LCFS947...) All you that have bought this frame and the the flexfix, does your frames flex this much? Is there a danger of riding with a frame this flexy?

cybrsrce

« Reply #1264 on: October 11, 2022, 01:42:10 PM »
Im not ready to spend 300 USB + shipping on this frame that I don´t really trust, will it be 100% good or just quite alright... . I would rather move everything over to a frame I trust. (LCFS947...) All you that have bought this frame and the the flexfix, does your frames flex this much? Is there a danger of riding with a frame this flexy?

I had a video from one of the first runs about the flex.  People were blaming my wheels, camera angle, torque settings -  everything but the frame until they got theirs. I couldn't ride it with confidence without the JJJ fix, it would stand me up in berms and dance all over feeling like you have a flat. With the new triangle it felt like a proper bike.

I think it was worth it but I'm not trying to sell it to you :) If you think the LCFS947 will give you more confidence definitely do that, it isn't worth compromising your riding on a frame you don't trust.

Jotegr

« Reply #1265 on: October 11, 2022, 02:04:29 PM »
How would you compare the flex present with JJJ's flex fix on your bike to what you can see in StefanB's video?

cybrsrce

« Reply #1266 on: October 11, 2022, 02:09:44 PM »
How would you compare the flex present with JJJ's flex fix on your bike to what you can see in StefanB's video?

A little less, but similar. It got better with a few 0.2mm shims between the bolts and the outside bearings.

promoto

« Reply #1267 on: October 15, 2022, 03:37:32 AM »
I have both the JJ fix and the mod rear triangle , The jj fix was a big improvement and I rode it for a good few miles with drops jumps and ruff descents and it was fine
I got a good discount on the moded rear triangle so I went for it and it is slightly stiffer but not noticeable when riding, I have done 650 miles on the frame now with bike park days and mixed local trails , The frame has proved to be strong and handles really well especially on ruff descents, apart from re tightening the pivot point bolts a couple of times I have had no issues with it
I have had a lot of full suspension frames from Intense, foes, scott, giant, trek, yeti and Vitus a lot of them had issues some big some small I've had warranty claims that have dragged out for a year and some that were deemed void and I had to pay for the replacement parts to fix it,   so getting a modern carbon frame that builds into a great very capable bike for less than a $1000 is a good result even with a few teething problems   

Remedy 7

« Reply #1268 on: October 15, 2022, 08:17:33 AM »
I have both the JJ fix and the mod rear triangle , The jj fix was a big improvement and I rode it for a good few miles with drops jumps and ruff descents and it was fine
I got a good discount on the moded rear triangle so I went for it and it is slightly stiffer but not noticeable when riding, I have done 650 miles on the frame now with bike park days and mixed local trails , The frame has proved to be strong and handles really well especially on ruff descents, apart from re tightening the pivot point bolts a couple of times I have had no issues with it
I have had a lot of full suspension frames from Intense, foes, scott, giant, trek, yeti and Vitus a lot of them had issues some big some small I've had warranty claims that have dragged out for a year and some that were deemed void and I had to pay for the replacement parts to fix it,   so getting a modern carbon frame that builds into a great very capable bike for less than a $1000 is a good result even with a few teething problems   

Solid feedback. I’m so back and forth on this but I really should just go for it. Sadly missed out on the JJJ that is my only big concern now.

Jotegr

« Reply #1269 on: October 15, 2022, 11:19:04 AM »
Remedy, if you haven't ordered your frame yet, the new ones come with the revised rear triangle so it's no longer an issue for you.

emu26

« Reply #1270 on: October 15, 2022, 06:39:23 PM »
It seems that you can not see the video?

If you search on Youtube you must find it. Search for: tideace am831 flex

Here are the links again

I have just noticed that if I quote you, the links show up in the quote box before posting

I was going to ask if this is the video    but I can see the links are the same.

Edit: but when I post I can't see them, nor mine.  Must be a glitch in the matrix

Remedy 7

« Reply #1271 on: October 15, 2022, 07:00:33 PM »
Remedy, if you haven't ordered your frame yet, the new ones come with the revised rear triangle so it's no longer an issue for you.

I haven’t. Just trying to decide if I do it through Eddie or TanTan. Rather not Eddie due to his lack of help in the past. But it seems tantan is iffy on shipping.

Jotegr

« Reply #1272 on: October 16, 2022, 10:06:46 AM »
I gotta be honest I think they're made in the same place.

Remedy 7

« Reply #1273 on: October 16, 2022, 11:25:46 AM »
I gotta be honest I think they're made in the same place.

I’m sure of that. It’s just who I want to deal with as a supplier at the end of the day.

promoto

« Reply #1274 on: October 17, 2022, 03:46:13 AM »
The BXT version has all the mods including the fork clearance on the front triangle, I have not seen one its information I've gleaned from email and pictures
If I was buying again that's the one I would go fore