Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 127121 times)

Mikey12345

Re: The shiney new AM831 Group Buy thread!
« Reply #240 on: June 23, 2021, 02:59:01 PM »
It's only been ridden about 5 times, still looks new, so I don't think it needs a service just yet. And thanks! I'll look into that.

helldan211

« Reply #241 on: June 24, 2021, 07:48:15 AM »
I'm super psyched about this build.  I'm trying to be as patient as possible, but it's eating me up!  So, I ordered the rest of my parts and they will start getting here next week.   No idea when the frame will get here but this is what I'm doing so far:
Wheels - BLTOS i-30 carbon 28H with dt swiss 350's and upgraded 54T ratchet
Fork - Rockshox Pike Ultimate 150mm
Shock - Manitou McLeod
Brakes - XT M8000
Derailleur & Shifter - GX Eagle
Cassette - X01 Eagle
Cranks - GX carbon
Dropper - Oneup V2
Dropper lever - PNW Loam
Bar - Oneup Carbon
Stem - PNW Range
Saddle - Ergon SM Pro
Tires - Rekon front, Rekon Race back ( not positive about this yet)
Oneup EDC threadless carrier and V2 tool. 
What are you guys doing?

Mikey12345

« Reply #242 on: June 24, 2021, 12:28:54 PM »
Fork - 2021 Fox 36 Factory Grip2 150mm w/ Kashima coating in matte black
Shock - Fox DPX2 210x55mm (takeoff from a stumpjumper evo)
Handlebars - Enve M6 25mm rise x 780mm length
Stem- Salsa Guide 40mm
Drivetrain - Shimano SLX M7100
Chainring - Absolute black 32T oval chainring
Cranks - Shimano SLX 165mm
Chain - KMC gold chain
Seatpost - Oneup 180mm dropper (still deciding on this one), not sure how deep of a dropper the frame can fit, and also may get a kashima fox transfer to match the fork if I can find a good second hand deal.
Brakes - SRAM Code R
Rotors - haven't decided yet but im thinking 200mm front and back if the frame can accommodate it.
Saddle - Charge Spoon brown saddle
Grips - Deity knucklebuster gum color
Wheels - some cheap aluminum ($300) specialized wheelset that was a takeoff from a stumpjumper with shimano hubs
Crown spacer - whatever 6mm is in stock when im building
Headset - Oneup EDC v2
Pedals - Raceface Chester mint color, although these may clash, and i may go for black in the end or the deity bronze pedals
Tires - Maxxis Minion DHR II front and back with gum color sidewalls, 2.4 in back and 2.6 up front.

Got the frame and fork in matte black; going for a matte black, brown, and gold color scheme. I think it should look very tasteful.

... and I can relate the anticipation is killing me!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 03:18:06 AM by Mikey12345 »

Mikey12345

« Reply #243 on: June 24, 2021, 12:31:41 PM »
Also I wonder if this thing will fit on this frame, I might try it out and see..

https://cascadecomponents.bike/collections/santa-cruz-linkages/products/hightower-v2-lt-link?variant=35723969364122

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #244 on: June 24, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »
Also I wonder if this thing will fit on this frame, I might try it out and see..

https://cascadecomponents.bike/collections/santa-cruz-linkages/products/hightower-v2-lt-link?variant=35723969364122

Pretty certain I've read elsewhere in this forum that the cascade link won't work this frame, unfortunately. Don't think anyone has actually tried though so if you decide to do so, please do share the results!

Mikey12345

« Reply #245 on: June 24, 2021, 01:36:03 PM »
ahh shoot i think you're right. I may just have a local bike tech take a look first and tell me if he thinks it's possible too. thanks for the head's up!

Jotegr

« Reply #246 on: June 25, 2021, 08:49:58 AM »
ahh shoot i think you're right. I may just have a local bike tech take a look first and tell me if he thinks it's possible too. thanks for the head's up!

A local bike tech won't be able to tell you if it's any good unless they can compare a stock SC hightower link with the one we're going to pull from here. You'd need to have them side by side for any meaningful comparison. The Cascade link is pretty pricey to not know.

Mikey12345

« Reply #247 on: June 25, 2021, 01:36:18 PM »
A local bike tech won't be able to tell you if it's any good unless they can compare a stock SC hightower link with the one we're going to pull from here. You'd need to have them side by side for any meaningful comparison. The Cascade link is pretty pricey to not know.

Oh I know, was thinking of buying it, bringing it to a tech, and having them have a good look at the two before installation. If it wont work, I wouldn't install and would send back. I'm going to tell cascade that is my intention before buying, and hoping they will play ball.

On another topic, so we know that this has no flip chip. Are we thinking the geo will be more similar to the hightower v2 in the high or low configuration?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 02:42:23 PM by Mikey12345 »

elgaucher

« Reply #248 on: June 25, 2021, 04:42:16 PM »
Oh I know, was thinking of buying it, bringing it to a tech, and having them have a good look at the two before installation. If it wont work, I wouldn't install and would send back. I'm going to tell cascade that is my intention before buying, and hoping they will play ball.

On another topic, so we know that this has no flip chip. Are we thinking the geo will be more similar to the hightower v2 in the high or low configuration?

Geo is the same as the santa cruz high configuration.

Mikey12345

« Reply #249 on: June 26, 2021, 02:43:39 AM »
Thanks eglaucher!

Mikey12345

« Reply #250 on: June 26, 2021, 03:01:23 PM »
You guys think a M can fit a 200mm fox dropper? I have someone locally who can give me a great deal second hand, but I don't know if there will be enough room.

darius72

« Reply #251 on: June 28, 2021, 11:06:17 PM »
Just joined the forum, ordering an AM 831, they promise reasonable shipping time; we will see.
What I don't understand is why it looks like many people ordered the frame but apparently nobody has received it or reviewed it; so I'm buying blind, the frame is cheaper than a branded one but not cheap in absolute. 9 years ago I bought an hardtail frame and I'm still using it and I'm satisfied; full suspension has much more mechanics and things that could be wrong.
finger crossed...

Mikey12345

« Reply #252 on: June 29, 2021, 01:54:02 AM »
Just joined the forum, ordering an AM 831, they promise reasonable shipping time; we will see.
What I don't understand is why it looks like many people ordered the frame but apparently nobody has received it or reviewed it; so I'm buying blind, the frame is cheaper than a branded one but not cheap in absolute. 9 years ago I bought an hardtail frame and I'm still using it and I'm satisfied; full suspension has much more mechanics and things that could be wrong.
finger crossed...

It is because they haven't been manufactured yet. As far as I can tell front triangles are done, but there was an issue with the rear and they are fixing it before sending the frames out.

helldan211

« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2021, 07:29:28 AM »
We hope that we will start to receive shipping notices soon. How soon?  We don't know.  Before the rear triangle issue, they were projecting shipments to start in mid June.  I think we're getting much closer to the finish line.  Time will tell.

Dan

darius72

« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2021, 03:57:15 PM »
Ahhh OK. So nobody has received it yet; anyway better that they solve the problem rather than send defective frames.  I'm placing my order now and they promise mid July shipping, that it is not so bad if it will be real  :-X .
About the bike... I have an old full suspended specialized 26" and this will be a big step ahead for sure; before falling in love with this frame my idea was to build an hardcore hardtail; the santa china is gonna be miles ahead in downhill performance, but what about uphill? I'm planning to keep the total weight around 13 kg that it isn't terrible, but the effect of the modern geometry plus possible pedaling bobbing I'll see on the field .
Anybody can recommend a rear shock with proper total lockout?