Author Topic: TanTan TT-X3 Frame  (Read 827 times)

the_tiger

TanTan TT-X3 Frame
« on: March 15, 2021, 03:43:33 AM »
Hello,
I'm new to building a bike completely by myself, but am experienced in servicing nearly all the parts on my bikes. Over the next months I'd like to build up a road bike and I'd like to use some chinese carbon frame for it.

The frame that caught my interest ist the TanTan TT-X3 carbon frame. It's available on aliexpress for ~300 USD (https://aliexpress.com/item/33048653511.html?spm=a2g0x.12010612.8148356.31.6eed4bb0g7FIZK) which seems to me like a pretty low price for a complete frame/fork setup. Does anyone know this frame or maybe even have already ridden it? I'm not sure what I can expect in terms of quality and ride feel...
Is there any particular disadvantage of the BB386EVO bottom bracket? I suppose threaded bottom brackets would be easier to (dis)assemble and service, but is there more to it other than having to press it in?
What I'm also not sure of is the availability of spareparts in the future. Suppose due to a crash I break my rear derailleur hanger, will I be able to get another one years from now?

Best regards

carbonazza

Re: TanTan TT-X3 Frame
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 05:25:31 AM »
A threaded BB is in fact a pressfit(bearings are pressed in cups) that you screw into the frame.
If the two threads are not aligned perfectly, it will be as poor as a pressfit with poorly aligned shells.
Once you have a press or a M13 bolt, it is as easy to maintain as a threaded one.

BB386 is the best pressfit standard. It is wide.
And it allows bigger spindles, DUB-29mm and 30mm to fit with cheaper and easy to find bearings.

TanTan is a reputable brand, you'll find plenty of good reviews here.
Unless you are very sensible to bike geometry details, for instance chainstay length, seat tube and head tube angles, etc. this frame will make you happy for such a good price.

As everyone here, buy one or two more hangers it is $10.

FHS

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 09:37:49 AM »
I tried to purchase this frame on Aliexpress back in November. After I already paid for it, the TanTan rep sent me an email saying it was out of stock and issued a refund after we had a short back and forth over other models that were available. They did say, at the time, that they would be available this month. Not sure that helps, but I'd reach out to whichever TanTan rep is currently working on Aliexpress to doublecheck availability before purchasing.

As for TanTan and spare parts, yeah, i'm not sure how many years from now you're anticipating having to get a spare part, but I purchased my TanTan frame back in November and as recently as a week ago, Lisa who I bought the frame from, is still answering emails and sending parts as requested. I had a random screw fall out which she replaced free of charge and I also purchased a spare rear deraileur hangar. I've asked about other parts they might have on hand and have had 0 issues getting answers.

I can't speak for the TT-X3 or BB386 specifically, but as far as TanTan frame quality goes, I've had 0 issues with the pressfit bottom bracket on my frame. It's a BB86 and I've recently switched out the Shimano 24mm BB86 threaded pressfit for a 29mm DUB pressfit. Alignment and tolerances are excellent, both installs were super easy, and no creaking from either.

Snacks

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »
I also tried purchasing this frame at first.  I had detailed my experience elsewhere on the site but I'll copy it down below. I did not have a favorable experience. It may be I  stock now or just a marketing tactic they use to get you to start the conversation on a puchasing a frame with them.

"Originally I had purchased the tt-X3 when it was in stock. I reached out to them to make sure instead of just ordering on aliexpress because I wanted to make sure they still had my size available. First they had it and would ship soon . Then they told me they just had to build the fork. Then it was being painted. This lasted a month and a half until they finally told me the truth and said they had no frame to send me. Per their own recommendation, I paid the difference on the only other frame they supposedly had in stock, fm-659..."

the_tiger

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 02:40:13 PM »
Thank you all for your valuable advice and shared experiences. So I'll try to get in contact with them and try to get authentic information about whether they have the frame in stock or at least would be able to ship one to me after a reasonable amount of time. I
It's good to hear that they stay responsive and offer support even after you already have purchased the frame and also that I don't have to expect any problems with the bottom bracket.
But maybe I'll have to think about an alternative frame, if they won't ship the TT-X3...