Other Resources > After The Ride

26 isnt dead...or is it?

<< < (2/3) > >>

cmh:
My wife is 5'3" and resisted even demoing a 29er for a while.  Then she demoed one and liked it.  Now it's her primary bike.  We shipped the bike for a riding vacation so she got back on the 26er... and hated it.  Looks like we'll be getting rid of her old 26er bikes.  Would love to get her on a 650b and am eyeballing the IM-196 for exactly that purpose.

On the other hand, I've got an old Scott Scale 26er which was my only bike for a while, and I recently resurrected it as a singlespeed.  It's 18.6lbs, and once I got over the irrational fear that riding 26 would result in my immediate and painful demise, I'm actually having a bunch of fun on it.  Mind you this is a local trail that is not terribly technical, and I'm still nowhere near as fast as I am on my FS 29er trail bike... but still, I'm having fun on a bike. :)

For me, though, there's nothing except 29er in my future.

Carbon_Dude:
Dead.  At least to me anyway.  I rode a 27.5" bike and liked it enough that I would buy one of those before I ever bought a 26" again.

Jotegr:
Between June and the end of Oct, a good half of my rides are shuttled, lifted or dirt jumping. I'm using 26" for this since I'm trick and jump focused rather than speed focused for these.

Otherwise I like the other two sizes with no personal preference. My chiner is a 27.5 but I like 29ers too.

Vipassana:
I rode a friend's 26" Giant NRS(?) the other day back to back with my 29er.  When we switched back, he was all smiles.  I was not.  I could never go back to that wheel size.  It felt like a toy in a way.  Like riding a BMX.

Carbon_Dude:

--- Quote from: Vipassana on November 06, 2014, 05:51:57 PM ---I rode a friend's 26" Giant NRS(?) the other day back to back with my 29er.  When we switched back, he was all smiles.  I was not.  I could never go back to that wheel size.  It felt like a toy in a way.  Like riding a BMX.

--- End quote ---

Exactly.  When I would ride my old 26" Epic it would feel like I'm riding a kids bike.  My 29er just fits me better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version