Author Topic: Ican S3 XC Frame  (Read 30851 times)

Mangoman

Re: Ican S3 XC Frame
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2022, 07:48:34 AM »
Hi peoples.

I have an excessive amount of play in the upper headset bearing, can anyone confirm that this is bad?

The lower headset bearing does not have this amount of play, although it also doesnt come anywhere near requiring a press to push in.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/mZ9OTKYVmu4
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 07:51:47 AM by Mangoman »

Mangoman

« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2022, 03:02:45 PM »
I've been informed (via another source) that the wrong bearing was supplied.

It seems they have supplied me with an IS41 upper headset instead of IS42 :(
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 01:32:00 PM by Mangoman »

Mangoman

« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2022, 03:50:23 AM »
Can anyone tell me whether it is normal for the upper headset bearing to be sticking out of the frame by a couple of millimetres?
Seems to leave quite a large gap for the seal to cover

Upper bearing fit is still quite slack with the replaced bearing.

carbonazza

« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2022, 12:10:29 PM »
Contact Ican about the exact size needed. Maybe this one is too high.
Try to mount the full headset if you can, and you'll see for sure if there is a problem.

Mangoman

« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2022, 12:35:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply, yes its the correct bearing height (6.5mm) i think im just going to have to deal with a larger gap between headset and frame (was more wondering how other S3s came out).

« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2023, 02:37:20 AM »
Been running mine for a while now and been pretty happy with it, funnily enough, its a bit of a rougher ride in the chunky stuff than my coil shocked enduro bike ;)
But that was the point really, I wanted a different bike that I would take on ground covering rides that weren't that technical, and were a chore on the enduro bike.

As called out, the EX511 rims aren't really in keeping with the spirit of the build, but I am using the spare wheels I had for races/trips etc.
I may build up a more XC set at some point when I have the time and inclination, but I do ride in a very rocky area, and like straying into techy territory, and have rubbish line choice.

The only thing that is annoying me really is the shock doesn't have a remote, and its a pain to lock out without stopping and not getting you hand caught by my feet/cranks....
Its a pain, and really I need to stop, and lock/unlock the shock.
I really didn't think it would bother me, but there you go....
I'lll live with it until a remote lockout kit comes available for the SIDlux

Joyride

« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2023, 03:22:21 PM »
I just built up my s3 over the winter.  It's my first mtb so I don't have much to compare it to.  I was just looking for a budget bike I could race in some local xc events.  Tried keeping it somewhat light for a few races, but budget limited me on some things.

Specs:
Fork: Sid ultimate 120
Rear shock: Dps performance 165x45
Crank:. Stages LR XTR 36t
Shift: XTR shift/xt rear derailleur
Cassette: slx 10-45
Brakes: xt 8000
Bars: race face next 700mm
Wheels: hunt race xc wide
Tire:. Specialized ground control/FasTrack 29x2.35
Pedal: xtr

Right now I'm at right around 25lbs.  I'm thinking of swapping to some iKon/rekon 2.20, so hopefully that will lighten things up.  Have a transfer sl dropper on the way, but honestly not sure I'll need it. 

vw155

« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2023, 01:13:52 AM »
Hey guys, does anyone know the dimensions of the required rear bearings? (linkage, main pivot, upper seat stay)

sandwich

« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2023, 08:50:58 AM »
Resurrecting this thread...are there any alternative suppliers to ICAN for this frame?  I'm interested in a medium but sometimes there are alternatives.

Geometry numbers are pretty dialed if they are accurate.  500mm reach on a large???  470 on a medium.  I'd run it with a 45mm stroke shock and 130mm fork (as that's what I have).  Should slack it out to ~65.5* and 465mm reach, raise the BB a tiny bit.

My BMC is getting tired and it may be time for a replacement.

sandwich

« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2023, 09:03:33 AM »
whelp, I bought what might be the last S3.  There was a sale that ended yesterday, so I scooped it up.  We'll see!