Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-177  (Read 56540 times)

patliean1

Re: Velobuild VB-R-177
« Reply #375 on: June 09, 2023, 08:33:01 PM »
One of the best looking 177s on here. Looking good!

coffeebreak

« Reply #376 on: June 11, 2023, 01:34:38 PM »
Will this frame clear 32c Panaracer GKs or GK SS?

ricedaddy

« Reply #377 on: June 14, 2023, 12:51:05 PM »

Finished up my 177 build a couple of weeks ago and have been making a few final aesthetic touches.

Overall, really happy with how it turned out and how it rides. Zero issues putting the build together. Moved most of the parts over from my 168 except for the Magene Exar Ultra wheels which are new, carbon saddle from AliX and tubeless version of the Goodyear Eagle F1s I was running prior (which were constantly getting flats btw).

VeloBuild VB-R-177 frame
Magene EXAR Ultra 50/58 wheelset
Magene P325CS Dual PM
Hammerhead Karoo 2 computer
Magene L508 radar light
ZTTO BB86 threaded ceramic BB
MIXED Ultra Light 7D MAX Carbon Saddle 140MM
Goodyear Eagle F1 tubeless tires
11sp Di2 frankenmix
L-TWOO ospw

Really happy I made the switch, the 177 is not only a bit lighter but the main highlight coming over from the 168 I would say is how much stiffer it feels. I also like that although I think it's modelled after a Scott Addict, it looks a bit more unique given how common the SL7 which the 168 is designed after is. I think it's Velobuilds best road frame.

Currently using the original HB011 bars from my 168 which I'm considering swapping as it's the only piece with noticeable flex now that I have a stiffer frame and wheels. Only issue I had was that the moulding where the rear hanger outer piece goes seems to have some excess material, which changes the angle of the thread a bit and make the TA screw in a bit tougher than it should be. Aside from that, everything was smooth.

https://imgur.com/mtYh8Sh
https://imgur.com/mdJxEXI
https://imgur.com/tvRp4Ns
https://imgur.com/NpP7zyz
https://imgur.com/KhaujkN
https://imgur.com/pW3z35v

How are the Magene EXARs treating you?

hazzer19

« Reply #378 on: June 14, 2023, 01:06:21 PM »
How are the Magene EXARs treating you?

Really well so far. They are pretty light and feel stiff and fast. I'm finally back to road tubeless which was much needed and was able to set it up at home with a floor pump. Highlights for me are the ceramic bearings, dt swiss style ratchet hub, carbon spokes and having a more shallow front/deeper back to help with stability.

Serge_K

« Reply #379 on: June 19, 2023, 05:29:13 AM »
Will this frame clear 32c Panaracer GKs or GK SS?

Various comments on the forum saying 32C on the 177 is very sketchy. Which is a major bummer for me. I want to run 32C Conti 5000 on 32mm wide rims on my next road bike. I've ridden 28 and 32mm back to back, difference is very material, yet peak torque showed on YT there's no penalty using 32C, either rolling resistance or CDA, proving you're running wide rims (32mm)

some guy

« Reply #380 on: June 19, 2023, 08:05:57 AM »
Various comments on the forum saying 32C on the 177 is very sketchy. Which is a major bummer for me. I want to run 32C Conti 5000 on 32mm wide rims on my next road bike. I've ridden 28 and 32mm back to back, difference is very material, yet peak torque showed on YT there's no penalty using 32C, either rolling resistance or CDA, proving you're running wide rims (32mm)

don't know if 1mm helps, but 28mm gp5k s tr on 25mm internal rims measure to about 31mm when mounted. see (not my video but is use the same tires on wr45s from light bicycle)

gruengelb

« Reply #381 on: June 19, 2023, 01:25:12 PM »

I use 30 mm Conti 5000 str on mine. clearance is fine. Would not want to go bigger though...

pearl

« Reply #382 on: July 25, 2023, 08:48:21 AM »
I was cleaning out the parts bin and found a spare 177 seatpost binder, ill ship it at cost to whoever could use it!

Serge_K

« Reply #383 on: July 26, 2023, 03:11:56 AM »
I was cleaning out the parts bin and found a spare 177 seatpost binder, ill ship it at cost to whoever could use it!

the classified section is a bit sad, i feel it'd be useful to have that thing posted there, if anything just to show activity.

oringso

« Reply #384 on: July 26, 2023, 06:40:55 AM »
Does anybody use some other integrated cockpits/stem bar combo's apart from the Velobuild's? If yes, could you please tell me how you guys solved the top cap cable routing.

joegal

« Reply #385 on: August 20, 2023, 02:11:49 AM »
Hey Everyone,

My intentions are not to spam this thread with my photos. However, I finally received my VeloBuild 38mm wheels after a two week delay courtesy of my local postal service  :( . The Hyper 65s I originally had on the 177 are for my Winspace T1500 which I will be building up this weekend.

1. They are pretty heavy. 1778g for the pair. For comparison sake, my Winspace Hyper 65s weigh 1610g. Lighter yet significantly deeper wheels, but also significantly more expensive. You could buy three pairs of VB wheels for the price of Hypers. Just something to consider...

2. Specs are tubeless clinchers with the tubeless tape already installed. 25mm external, 19mm internal. The wheels come with valve extenders, but sadly no extra spokes or tubeless valves. Standard Novatec hubs. I've used these hubs on my Yoeleo wheels and they are perfectly fine.

3. This is the final "form" for the build. Without power meter pedals, carbon bottle cage, or Garmin mount...final weight is 8kg

I'm working on my official video review of the build, but for the price and weight I have to say it's a lovely deal. The light weight carbon of the 177 offsets the heavy wheels in my opinion, so basically you're getting a big-brand quality frameset, handlebars, and wheels for under $1000. Add your favorite groupset and you're looking at a setup that would probably cost almost double in price from one the main brands out there.

PS - the gold chain is from OG-Evkin. I probably own about 8-10 different components from them. They offer solid value for the price.

Hey Patty, quick question: How did you manage to add spacers above the VB seperate stem?
Did they include a suitable topcap to run spacers?

I'm a Velobuild frameset with that stem soon and i want to validate my stack height before cutting the steerer to size.

Thanks!!

EDIT: Or did you just put that one Spacer on top of the topcap to evenly spread the compressing force? Meaning that your steerer was already cut to size?
I might have to 3d-print an adapter to run standard spacers above the stem then... probably not a big deal.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 02:17:39 AM by joegal »

patliean1

« Reply #386 on: August 20, 2023, 06:43:26 AM »
Hey Patty, quick question: How did you manage to add spacers above the VB seperate stem?
Did they include a suitable topcap to run spacers?

I'm a Velobuild frameset with that stem soon and i want to validate my stack height before cutting the steerer to size.

Thanks!!

EDIT: Or did you just put that one Spacer on top of the topcap to evenly spread the compressing force? Meaning that your steerer was already cut to size?
I might have to 3d-print an adapter to run standard spacers above the stem then... probably not a big deal.

Howdy!

I measured and cut the steer tube with the intentions of using a spacer about the separate stem. It does help spread the force evenly, but it was mainly to give myself the option of raising the stem just in case I needed to in the future. This came in handy when I switched to using the FSA no.69 setup, as the headset cap on that is much taller than what's provided from VB.

joegal

« Reply #387 on: August 20, 2023, 01:35:47 PM »
Howdy!

I measured and cut the steer tube with the intentions of using a spacer about the separate stem. It does help spread the force evenly, but it was mainly to give myself the option of raising the stem just in case I needed to in the future. This came in handy when I switched to using the FSA no.69 setup, as the headset cap on that is much taller than what's provided from VB.

Thanks! Just to be clear: Did the Velobuild stem include a topcap with a hole that allows the steerer not to be cut to size? Like the SL7 stem, where a different topcap with a 1 1/8 inch hole allows to run spacers above the stem.

gmh

« Reply #388 on: August 20, 2023, 05:48:28 PM »
Thanks! Just to be clear: Did the Velobuild stem include a topcap with a hole that allows the steerer not to be cut to size? Like the SL7 stem, where a different topcap with a 1 1/8 inch hole allows to run spacers above the stem.

It does not (at least mine didn't), but I ended up designing and printing a cap:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6bgkpoy94cq7as3radns1/non-aero-top-cap-v3.STL?rlkey=gmaimol7bm771slfgn2v7wayp&dl=0

joegal

« Reply #389 on: August 20, 2023, 11:49:51 PM »
It does not (at least mine didn't), but I ended up designing and printing a cap:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6bgkpoy94cq7as3radns1/non-aero-top-cap-v3.STL?rlkey=gmaimol7bm771slfgn2v7wayp&dl=0

Thanks a lot buddy, I really appreciate it!  8)
Looks really promising, I will surely try this out!