Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-177  (Read 57606 times)

pearl

Re: Velobuild VB-R-177
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2022, 06:09:46 PM »
I know the site says 160 rotors, but has anyone fit 140? Only asking because that’s what I currently have without having to spend more money on rotors lol

patliean1

« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2022, 09:15:22 PM »
Hey Everyone,

My 177 is finally live on my channel:

YouTube title: VeloBuild 177 Review - Verdict: Lightweight Affordability

Liter

« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2022, 08:17:11 AM »
Hey Everyone,

My 177 is finally live on my channel:

YouTube title: VeloBuild 177 Review - Verdict: Lightweight Affordability

Great video! Just an update on my own 177 bike experience

- The stem has a design flaw, the carbon top cap is not strong enough and does not fit perfectly with the stem, in order to keep the play from the fork/stem you need a constant compression in the system no matter how tight you tork the stem to the fork. If you ride in rough roads this thing will always end up having play because of vibrations, I tried a longer expander and the only solution was actually buying a stem from Deda

- The first fork had a misaliagned rivet for the brake caliper, it was impossible to adjust the brake without the rotor rubbing. Velobuild was kind to send a second fork painted to the color I ordered, but to my surprise the new fork had the same problem, the bottom rivet was not at an 90º degree angle to the fork, so when the caliper was secured it would move inward. My mechanic was able to replace the rivet with carbon resin. I was so pissed that I did not even email Velobuild at the time

If for not these two major issues the experience would be rated amazing, ride feels very compliant, frame climbs snapy, they really have done a great job frame wise.

But they need to fix the fork issues, if this was a batch problem or some QA mistake and they cannot sell that STEM the way it is, it simply DOES NOT WORK.

patliean1

« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2022, 08:46:22 AM »
Great video! Just an update on my own 177 bike experience

- The stem has a design flaw, the carbon top cap is not strong enough and does not fit perfectly with the stem, in order to keep the play from the fork/stem you need a constant compression in the system no matter how tight you tork the stem to the fork. If you ride in rough roads this thing will always end up having play because of vibrations, I tried a longer expander and the only solution was actually buying a stem from Deda

- The first fork had a misaliagned rivet for the brake caliper, it was impossible to adjust the brake without the rotor rubbing. Velobuild was kind to send a second fork painted to the color I ordered, but to my surprise the new fork had the same problem, the bottom rivet was not at an 90º degree angle to the fork, so when the caliper was secured it would move inward. My mechanic was able to replace the rivet with carbon resin. I was so pissed that I did not even email Velobuild at the time

If for not these two major issues the experience would be rated amazing, ride feels very compliant, frame climbs snapy, they really have done a great job frame wise.

But they need to fix the fork issues, if this was a batch problem or some QA mistake and they cannot sell that STEM the way it is, it simply DOES NOT WORK.

I'm still on the fence about the separate stem/bar combo myself. Despite removing "most" of the headset play it still isnt perfect, and I would not feel comfortable using the bike in any super fast group rides or races. Only reason I went with the separate combo is because I need the 120mm stem and 400mm width bar, something VeloBuild does not sell integrated. As you have mentioned the carbon top cap design is flawed for sure.

My VB-177 has spent most of the winter on the trainer...which isn't ideal if you only have one bike. Let me know if the Deda ACR stem works for you, as I'll probably end up doing the same next fall. Sucks because of the effort involved, not to mention the weight penalty.

Liter

« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2022, 09:48:04 AM »
I'm still on the fence about the separate stem/bar combo myself. Despite removing "most" of the headset play it still isnt perfect, and I would not feel comfortable using the bike in any super fast group rides or races. Only reason I went with the separate combo is because I need the 120mm stem and 400mm width bar, something VeloBuild does not sell integrated. As you have mentioned the carbon top cap design is flawed for sure.

My VB-177 has spent most of the winter on the trainer...which isn't ideal if you only have one bike. Let me know if the Deda ACR stem works for you, as I'll probably end up doing the same next fall. Sucks because of the effort involved, not to mention the weight penalty.

I have done 500KM on the Deda on very rough roads its working perfectly. Just two things:

- Compression ring that seats over the bearing is about 1MM thicker, I need to cut it down so there is no space between the bottom cup and the frame.
Deda has approved this via email, they even offered to print one to measure

- The system is not fully integrated, there is a box to hide the cables below the stem, the Superbox only works with full integration if the fork is D shapped, very few bikes have that type of fork.

Yes it was a tremendous effort to make this bike work properly, had I bought a Cannondale Supersix the price would be not so far out, but I tried to cut down the cost and have a bike that would be close to 7.9KG. Disc bikes have become incredibly heavy.

Irideslowly

« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2022, 07:19:24 PM »
I have done 500KM on the Deda on very rough roads its working perfectly. Just two things:

- Compression ring that seats over the bearing is about 1MM thicker, I need to cut it down so there is no space between the bottom cup and the frame.

- The system is not fully integrated, there is a box to hide the cables below the stem, the Superbox only works with full integration if the fork is D shapped, very few bikes have that type of fork.

Yes it was a tremendous effort to make this bike work properly, had I bought a Cannondale Supersix the price would be not so far out, but I tried to cut down the cost and have a bike that would be close to 7.9KG. Disc bikes have become incredibly heavy.

Thanks for the reply. I have a few questions.

What did you use to cut the compression ring?

Did you use the deda spacers?

A picture would be great.

Liter

« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2022, 07:56:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I have a few questions.

What did you use to cut the compression ring?

Did you use the deda spacers?

A picture would be great.

Sorry to take this long to reply.

I have not cut the compression ring yet, I just need to shave 1MM from the top, have no clue how I should cut it.

I used the Deda spacers.

I will post a video tomorrow of the setup and show you why the compression needs to be cut a bit

Liter

« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2022, 11:37:16 AM »
@irideslowly

took some pictures hope it helps

Irideslowly

« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2022, 12:05:27 PM »
@irideslowly

took some pictures hope it helps

Thanks! This will help a lot of people.

patliean1

« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2022, 12:07:09 PM »
I dread having to re-route my cables when switching to that Deda stem later this year. And my stem is slammed LoL  :-X

slosada

« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2022, 05:50:08 PM »
I know the site says 160 rotors, but has anyone fit 140? Only asking because that’s what I currently have without having to spend more money on rotors lol
I haven't received the frame yet. It only left Singapore yesterday
However: I asked Chris about that.  He said 160 is the max rotor and needs adapter in the back.  In the front, just flipping the included mount will provide for it.

pearl

« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2022, 03:20:27 PM »
Must’ve clicked the wrong color, but pretty stoked on this one anyway!
Refuse 32s are more than enough in the rear, the front is a little tall but still clears :)

Irideslowly

« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2022, 04:20:22 PM »

Does anyone know how to cut it?

pearl

« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2022, 05:57:32 PM »
Also going to use the FSA NCR stem to get the 140mm I need, so I’ll be waiting a little bit longer sadly!

Liter

« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2022, 09:48:19 PM »
Does anyone know how to cut it?

No idea yet