Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-177  (Read 57624 times)

Liter

Re: Velobuild VB-R-177
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2022, 10:10:49 AM »
Also going to use the FSA NCR stem to get the 140mm I need, so I’ll be waiting a little bit longer sadly!

Please post pics once you are done.

I did not buy the NCR stem because the spacers, compression ring were sold separately.

pearl

« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2022, 06:45:10 AM »
i dont need the spacers so i hope I don't need to buy that FSA No.55r 1.5 headset just for the top cap! I do have 3 other bikes that run that size headset bearing, so I guess I'd be buying those bearings eventually...

gmh

« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2022, 02:10:42 PM »
Has anyone had issues with the seatpost being too wide for their saddle's rails?  I've tried 3 or 4 saddles and none will fit on.

Liter

« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2022, 07:17:14 PM »
Has anyone had issues with the seatpost being too wide for their saddle's rails?  I've tried 3 or 4 saddles and none will fit on.

Have a carbon sqlabs on, no problem

pearl

« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2022, 11:09:27 AM »
Anyone ever have issues with their water bottle cages not clearing? the FD mount seems to stick out far enough that I can't tighten it down.

Not the best photo, but the FD clamp is sticking out far enough that it interfers with the cage.

patliean1

« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2022, 12:06:10 PM »
I'm going to assume the 177 was primarily focused on braze-on FDs not clamp ons.

gmh

« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2022, 01:07:49 PM »
Have a carbon sqlabs on, no problem

Weird.  I'm trying to use the metal version of an SQ labs 612 and it's just not fitting.

pearl

« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2022, 01:54:31 PM »
This is a braze on mount, I didn't add anything to it, is your front derailer braze on flush with the frame or protrude line mine does?

Liter

« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2022, 07:05:17 PM »
Weird.  I'm trying to use the metal version of an SQ labs 612 and it's just not fitting.

What a weird coincidence lol also running the 612 Carbon 14cm. Wish they made the 15 version.

Liter

« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2022, 09:41:19 AM »
@patliean1 did you try turning the 177 into a gravel ride? I´m thinking of ordering some cheap 650B wheels, wonder how big I can get the tires going that way. Maybe some 5MM more? a tire close to 40MM would be great

patliean1

« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2022, 10:16:07 AM »
@patliean1 did you try turning the 177 into a gravel ride? I´m thinking of ordering some cheap 650B wheels, wonder how big I can get the tires going that way. Maybe some 5MM more? a tire close to 40MM would be great

Couple things I'm working on with my 177...

1. I'm waiting for another Chinertown member to finish and confirm the FSA/ACR headset and stem combo works for his 177. Once confirmed, I'll need to do this process myself to fix the headset issue.

2. Gonna fit my gravel wheels with 32c tires to my 177 to see if I can cyclocross with the frame next fall.

pearl

« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2022, 02:35:42 PM »
I can barely clear 32mm Maxxis Refuse on the front fork, the tire on the Fulcrum rims I had was a true 32mm on the calipers. It barely had 1mm of clearance on the height. Good enough for road use (for me anyway) but anymore than that may be sketch. The rear had enough clearance.

I don't know if I would try and put a knobby CX tire on here...

patliean1

« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2022, 10:41:00 PM »
I can barely clear 32mm Maxxis Refuse on the front fork, the tire on the Fulcrum rims I had was a true 32mm on the calipers. It barely had 1mm of clearance on the height. Good enough for road use (for me anyway) but anymore than that may be sketch. The rear had enough clearance.

I don't know if I would try and put a knobby CX tire on here...

Yikes good to know. Guess I will be using my gravel bike for CX...which also isn't ideal LoL

mwh0169

« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2022, 03:58:13 AM »
Hello everyone,
Herewith my contribution with my new Velobuild VB-R-177. This has been my first bike build ever and it was a fun experience.
I made my choice buying from Velobuild. Couldn't decide between the VB-R-166 and the VB-R-177 but I finally decided to go with the VB-R-177.

My objective was to build a budget road bike. Therefore, I took my time and looked for used / discounted parts from the internet. I was very happy with most purchases (especially the group set). But it didn't always work out great. One of the disks appeared to be not completely round, so that needs replacement. Also buying second hand, means sometimes that some small parts are not included. Especially in my case as an inexperienced DIY bike mechanic, that appeared to be a challenge since most of the time you notice the absence of parts only while you are in the building process. It took me a lot of extra time, but I already calculated that in before starting the project.

Furthermore; Youtube appeared to be my friend in this project, since there are tons of instructional movies around to get information from. I was also lucky with my local bike shop to help me out with missing parts and giving good advice when I got stuck.

I did have play in the headset that made me worried, since I’ve seen some excellent Video’s from Patrick Lino (also known as patlien1 on this forum I believe) on Youtube. But in the end, it appeared a replacement of the inner lock end better montage. All in all, the integrated head set makes it trickier.
I did bring the bike in with my local bike shop once it was built for a good checkup and to micro adjust the shifters and to give myself some peace of mind about safety.

In conclusion; I learned a lot, will do many things differently in a new project. But it was very educational and a lot of fun, I think everybody can do it.
I did my first longer rides and I'm super happy with the end result. But I must say my only comparison of the ride quality is with my ancient aluminum road bike only on 23mm tires.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 07:31:17 AM by mwh0169 »

Liter

« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2022, 01:29:48 PM »
Looking good! My only advice, be careful with that stem. That project is flawed, the carbon topcap is too frail and loose to apply proper compression, without it the stem/fork will also have some play after a long ride.

People are switching to FSA or the Deda Superbox in my case.

Just wish Velobuild would stop selling that stem and offer a proper solution.

Hello everyone,
Herewith my contribution with my new Velobuild VB-R-177. This has been my first bike build ever and it was a fun experience.
I made my choice buying from Velobuild. Couldn't decide between the VB-R-166 and the VB-R-177 but I finally decided to go with the VB-R-177.

My objective was to build a budget road bike. Therefore, I took my time and looked for used / discounted parts from the internet. I was very happy with most purchases (especially the group set). But it didn't always work out great. One of the disks appeared to be not completely round, so that needs replacement. Also buying second hand, means sometimes that some small parts are not included. Especially in my case as an inexperienced DIY bike mechanic, that appeared to be a challenge since most of the time you notice the absence of parts only while you are in the building process. It took me a lot of extra time, but I already calculated that in before starting the project.

Furthermore; Youtube appeared to be my friend in this project, since there are tons of instructional movies around to get information from. I was also lucky with my local bike shop to help me out with missing parts and giving good advice when I got stuck.

I did have play in the headset that made me worried, since I’ve seen some excellent Video’s from Patrick Lino (also known as patlien1 on this forum I believe) on Youtube. But in the end, it appeared a replacement of the inner lock end better montage. All in all, the integrated head set makes it trickier.
I did bring the bike in with my local bike shop once it was built for a good checkup and to micro adjust the shifters and to give myself some peace of mind about safety.

In conclusion; I learned a lot, will do many things differently in a new project. But it was very educational and a lot of fun, I think everybody can do it.
I did my first longer rides and I'm super happy with the end result. But I must say my only comparison of the ride quality is with my ancient aluminum road bike only on 23mm tires.