Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-177  (Read 57596 times)

Mowgli

Re: Velobuild VB-R-177
« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2022, 08:22:08 AM »
Good VB agreed to send new taller headset bearings.

Still nothing received though and the bike's not rideable. I'd not be recommending velobuild to anyone at the moment.

patliean1

« Reply #241 on: August 03, 2022, 08:29:26 AM »
Still nothing received though and the bike's not rideable. I'd not be recommending velobuild to anyone at the moment.

Have you considered buying taller bearings online? Should only cost about $20 and would arrive much faster.

mwh0169

« Reply #242 on: August 04, 2022, 02:30:51 AM »
Have you considered buying taller bearings online? Should only cost about $20 and would arrive much faster.

My bike was un-ridable as well, very carefully re-installing the headset gave some improvements but it got worse again after time and I think it was really unsafe.
I decided to by a new headset (Deda Superbox). I still used the same bearings. In my opinion it was the new C-ring that solved the problem.
No play at all anymore.

pierluigi

« Reply #243 on: August 07, 2022, 01:23:01 AM »
I was never really comfortable with the bike after the headset issues. Decided to change with either the Acr or the Superbox, decided for the Superbox because of the option running a semi integrated solution for for easier bike maintenance and travelling with the bike. The post from Liter took me over the line.

Happy with the result so far, everything sits tight.

It is very good.
Just a question: is the top bearing of the head set 36°x45° version?
Thanks

s3si1u

« Reply #244 on: August 08, 2022, 01:23:30 AM »
I have some thoughts swirling around in my head regarding my 177 and thought this would be a good place to vent and brainstorm :) I want to do a 180 change with my whole bike stable (all of 2 bikes, lol) and the 177 is at the center of it all.
It all starts here: I currently own a Velobuild 177 and an alloy Poseidon X gravel bike with a SRAM mullet setup. What I really, really want is a shiny new rim brake road bike to complement these two but I only have enough space for 2 bikes (just 1 really, I make it work), so one has to go. I really, really want to keep my 177, but also really want a versatile wider tire bike in my 2 bike stable that gives me the flexibility and some of the all-road funsies I get from a true gravel bike.
My thought process goes something like this:
1. Put gravel bike up for sale
2. Start shopping for rim brake frame or full bike (oh the possibilities ;D ;D ;D ;D)
3. convert 177 to some kind of all-road light-gravely kinda commuter cx bike thing with a 1x mullet setup and increased tire clearance
4. Purchase shiny new rim brake road bike

Now, the mullet conversion for the 177 is simple as I'm already running a SRAM 22 mashup. I would replicate what I run on the X: Apex/Rival/Force 1 derailleur with Garbaruk mod, 42 tooth chainring, 11-50 cassette, Gravelking SS tires and we're good to go. Maybe even a Ratio Technology kit and a 10-44 or 10-50 to go 12 speed. Tire clearance is the issue. I think the rear tire is not a big problem as my current tires balloon up to at least 31mm and there's maybe 4mm clearance on either side. The fork clearance is the issue, as we are all too well aware. That leads me to ask, has anyone experimented with a different fork on any of your road bikes? On a Velobuild? I'm considering seeking out a fork with a bit more tire clearance and sticking it on the 177 to fix my dilemma.  Any suggestions/advice? FWIW my Poseidon X actually has a fork that originally belonged to a Trek Checkpoint and it all works together fine, but that conversion wasn't concerning as it's gravel bike - gravel bike and all dimensions are pretty similar.
The easy thing to do would be to sell the 177 and keep the X, but I'm more attached to the 177 and would prefer to have 2 carbon bikes. What do y'all think? 35mm clearance would be sick. Time to go down the rabbit hole...any suggestions, advice, stern words of disapproval, etc. welcomed!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 02:04:27 AM by s3si1u »
Instagram: @aerosloth

patliean1

« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2022, 08:10:25 AM »
Sell the 177 frame (Pennies to the dollar) and get a 168.

Having just finished building my 168 and confirming it can fit 32c tires, it’s gonna be used for my endurance/adventure/Roubaix bike. I’ll basically only now need my gravel bike for actual proper gravel.

Liter

« Reply #246 on: August 08, 2022, 10:11:53 AM »

Having just finished building my 168 and confirming it can fit 32c tires, it’s gonna be used for my endurance/adventure/Roubaix bike. I’ll basically only now need my gravel bike for actual proper gravel.

how is the ride feel of the 168 and the weight compared to 177?

I almost wanted to buy a set of 650B wheels to see if I could get some 35c tires on the 177, but I don´t think a 650B wheel would provide much differnce and I don´t want to wast money on things I´m not sure it works.

slosada

« Reply #247 on: August 08, 2022, 10:19:19 AM »
I have some thoughts swirling around in my head regarding my 177 and thought this would be a good place to vent and brainstorm :) I want to do a 180 change with my whole bike stable (all of 2 bikes, lol) and the 177 is at the center of it all.
It all starts here: I currently own a Velobuild 177 and an alloy Poseidon X gravel bike with a SRAM mullet setup. What I really, really want is a shiny new rim brake road bike to complement these two but I only have enough space for 2 bikes (just 1 really, I make it work), so one has to go. I really, really want to keep my 177, but also really want a versatile wider tire bike in my 2 bike stable that gives me the flexibility and some of the all-road funsies I get from a true gravel bike.
My thought process goes something like this:
1. Put gravel bike up for sale
2. Start shopping for rim brake frame or full bike (oh the possibilities ;D ;D ;D ;D)
3. convert 177 to some kind of all-road light-gravely kinda commuter cx bike thing with a 1x mullet setup and increased tire clearance
4. Purchase shiny new rim brake road bike

Now, the mullet conversion for the 177 is simple as I'm already running a SRAM 22 mashup. I would replicate what I run on the X: Apex/Rival/Force 1 derailleur with Garbaruk mod, 42 tooth chainring, 11-50 cassette, Gravelking SS tires and we're good to go. Maybe even a Ratio Technology kit and a 10-44 or 10-50 to go 12 speed. Tire clearance is the issue. I think the rear tire is not a big problem as my current tires balloon up to at least 31mm and there's maybe 4mm clearance on either side. The fork clearance is the issue, as we are all too well aware. That leads me to ask, has anyone experimented with a different fork on any of your road bikes? On a Velobuild? I'm considering seeking out a fork with a bit more tire clearance and sticking it on the 177 to fix my dilemma.  Any suggestions/advice? FWIW my Poseidon X actually has a fork that originally belonged to a Trek Checkpoint and it all works together fine, but that conversion wasn't concerning as it's gravel bike - gravel bike and all dimensions are pretty similar.
The easy thing to do would be to sell the 177 and keep the X, but I'm more attached to the 177 and would prefer to have 2 carbon bikes. What do y'all think? 35mm clearance would be sick. Time to go down the rabbit hole...any suggestions, advice, stern words of disapproval, etc. welcomed!
Not an expert here but here is an opinion:
The best option would be trying to find a fork that is compatible with 177
Thinking outside the box: An alternative (depending on crank length, and fitting in general) riding 650b
That being said, I find misleading advertising that 177 is sold as 32mm, but barely fits some 30mm tires  (this was a main selection factor for me, so I could ride light gravel come October/November)

Not sure I would buy or recommend another Velobuild to anyone.

Now, regarding a rim brake road bike.  My main concern is: When you want to buy a cheap frame, the carbon rim brake performance is abysmal at the equivalent price range.  Either you go for alloy or you spend big bucks on good carbon wheelset.

pearl

« Reply #248 on: August 08, 2022, 11:10:12 AM »
I wish i was easy enough to sell the 177 frame! I too am a little chapped it doesnt fit a 32mm wide tire...

I also don't like the width of the handlebar (says 40cm but it feels more like a 42, reach is a little longer than i expected) and it may be easier for me to just sell the frameset/fork/stems/bar and get the frame that fits my needs instead of just swapping the bar and spending all that money/time in order to still not fit a 32mm tire.

I know it isn't a china frame and its double te price, but I've really been looking at the Black Heart Bike Company Aluminum frame, seems to tick all my boxes too...

s3si1u

« Reply #249 on: August 08, 2022, 01:39:21 PM »
To be totally fair, I have very few if any complaints about the 177, tire size not excluded. I'm not at all peeved about the tire clearance as this move is more prompted by me never being happy with my bike stable. The 177 was a perfect fit back in November  ;D
I've always said that VB doesn't even clearly advertise this frame as fitting 32c tires. They simply state 32mm as the maximum tire clearance. Based on my measurements this is true. My tires balloon up to 31.8mm with certain psi numbers and I have no clearance issues. A truly sized 32mm tire should have no issues with clearance.

So true that selling the 177 frame or shelving it would be the best solution, but selling an open mold frame on its own is easier said than done. Maybe a VB gravel frame would be a better alternative, but I'd rather make the 177 work. Now, if anyone is interested in a size M frame with 420x100 one piece bar do let me know  ;D ;D
650b is an interesting idea... I'd rather keep my current wheels, but I'll definitely look into this.

s3si1u

« Reply #250 on: August 08, 2022, 02:15:06 PM »
I wish i was easy enough to sell the 177 frame! I too am a little chapped it doesnt fit a 32mm wide tire...

I also don't like the width of the handlebar (says 40cm but it feels more like a 42, reach is a little longer than i expected) and it may be easier for me to just sell the frameset/fork/stems/bar and get the frame that fits my needs instead of just swapping the bar and spending all that money/time in order to still not fit a 32mm tire.

I know it isn't a china frame and its double te price, but I've really been looking at the Black Heart Bike Company Aluminum frame, seems to tick all my boxes too...
Eh sometimes an expensive branded bike is what makes us happy  :)
If/when I realize my rim brake dreams it may not be an open mold either...considering some open mold frames along with some other options like Winspace offerings, Bianchi Sprint, Felt FR1 Giant TCR among some others. There's also some alloy/steel bikes out there that look interesting from Masi, Fuji, State, Cannondale, etc. Will be sure to take a look at Blackheart!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 02:16:54 PM by s3si1u »
Instagram: @aerosloth

mwh0169

« Reply #251 on: August 08, 2022, 03:33:12 PM »
It is very good.
Just a question: is the top bearing of the head set 36°x45° version?
Thanks
I honestly don't know, used the existing bearings and the rest that came with the Deda Superbox stem (integrated topcap, headset spacers en topcover for the headtube 56mm & 46mm, D-clip insert.
I saw you can pick them up with big discounts at the moment here in Europe.
Best upgrade to VB-R-177 so far.

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2022, 10:29:40 PM »

hmm tbh i wouldnt personally recommend the 168 as an 'all-road' fun bike for everyone just because it can fit wide tyres. @patliean i guess you must be quite comfortable riding bikes with an aggressive-ish racey geometry but i dont think it would be suitable for everyone.

i had the same thought when i was buying my 168 too. but now that i have it, i dont think i would enjoy taking it off road for any more than one hour hahaha

pearl

« Reply #253 on: August 09, 2022, 10:16:58 AM »
ya, both these bikes wouldn't make great "gravel" bikes, but could handle some tame stuff, say 90% road 10% dirt/gravel. i enjoy "underbiking" so i was really hoping to get a 32mm wide tire on it to tackle some different stuff, and also be super comfy for long training rides.

makes me wonder what would actually fit my needs now; 32mm wide tire, road geometry, discs...

slosada

« Reply #254 on: August 09, 2022, 02:03:13 PM »
Does anyone know where to source the thru axle end caps?
Now that I bought new wheels I wanted to take the shitty ones out, but the front thru Axle end cap was somehow stuck and it finally broke.