Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-177  (Read 57667 times)

s3si1u

Re: Velobuild VB-R-177
« Reply #255 on: August 09, 2022, 02:38:04 PM »
Does anyone know where to source the thru axle end caps?
Now that I bought new wheels I wanted to take the shitty ones out, but the front thru Axle end cap was somehow stuck and it finally broke.
Mine also broke. I kept forgetting it was there and would pop it off by removing the axle with the end cap still attached. Eventually it broke, I lost it, and have been riding without it ever since

mwh0169

« Reply #256 on: August 09, 2022, 03:50:46 PM »
Mine also broke. I kept forgetting it was there and would pop it off by removing the axle with the end cap still attached. Eventually it broke, I lost it, and have been riding without it ever since

LOL I had literally the same problem. Looks quite ugly without endcap.

s3si1u

« Reply #257 on: August 09, 2022, 08:19:25 PM »
LOL I had literally the same problem. Looks quite ugly without endcap.
I painted the ugly exposed area that the end cap covers up black with an acrylic marker and it looks ever so slightly better  :D
I wouldn't be surprised if it's starts coming off when I clean it and such.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 12:50:13 AM by s3si1u »
Instagram: @aerosloth

mesosbrodleto

« Reply #258 on: August 25, 2022, 10:06:25 AM »
Hi all, I am building a VBR177 and I have couple of issues with handlebar and headsets. I'd like to understand if anyone encountered the same issues.

The fork has exceeding painting, so that the bearings seems to not sit properly:

Furthermore, it seems that the headset cover is not properly covering the top bearing, leaving a 1.3mm of space where water and dust could easily get to the bearing.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 10:09:49 AM by mesosbrodleto »

pearl

« Reply #259 on: August 25, 2022, 02:34:29 PM »
the headset cap looked like that for me too, this is what the FSA and FSA Bearings one looks like:

Velovelo

« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2022, 08:42:33 PM »

Looks like the top and bottom bearings are taller bearings than usual for the 177.
Some other person here got way shorter bearings and hence rubbing between the frame and fork.

The top looks ok and will probably have less chance of rubbing on the top tube.

What did velobuild say when you sent them the pictures?

mesosbrodleto

« Reply #261 on: August 26, 2022, 02:22:08 AM »

What did velobuild say when you sent them the pictures?

they asked for pictures, but they are not really helpful so far. I also have an issue with the handlebar, it only has one hole (out of two) to engage the spacers. They say the hole has been accidentally filled with painting, so I should drill it. But I am a mechanic, not a frame builder nor a painter. They should provide a working handlebar, since I paid for a working one...

BalticSea

« Reply #262 on: August 26, 2022, 07:10:55 AM »
Question to people who own both 177 and 168 frames — have you noticed significant differences in stiffness, stability, handling or overall speed between the two?

mesosbrodleto

« Reply #263 on: August 27, 2022, 10:31:03 AM »

I wrote Velobuild highlighting this issue with the VBR177, they answered "drill it". I knew they lacked quality controls, but still...

ancientone

« Reply #264 on: September 02, 2022, 08:44:22 AM »

I wrote Velobuild highlighting this issue with the VBR177, they answered "drill it". I knew they lacked quality controls, but still...

Honestly, I have seen this "type of answer" with almost EVERY Chinese (China) sellers. It's lack of quality control , which you should have been aware of;  and it's also normally that "everything is negotiable" .  Also, remember QC is by sampling , not 100% !! No companies do 100% QC.

I had some issues with my trifox parts , useable but since it's new, I wasn't happy, so I reached out, got a similar response. Spoke to them professionally and they replied professionally,  negotiated for a slight discount on replacement on the basis that I get to keep the old one.  Used it till the replacement came, and sold it as used with minor cosmetic damage... Broke even on money side of things, and get a "friend" in Trifox.

Had some issues when I bought Sensah OSPW from  Sensah , in their case, they wanted me to give a good review before they would even consider resolving the issues. I refused to be blackmail into a 5 star review before they would even "discussing" the resolution, and also they probably will not resolve it subsequently.... so gave them a 1-star.... but it does meant they ignore me. LOL..

patliean1

« Reply #265 on: September 02, 2022, 09:39:59 AM »
Most budget brands from the Far East should be treated as stepping stones rather than final destinations.

It's a great way to gain valuable bike building experience, before naturally progressing to the bike you actually want...

mesosbrodleto

« Reply #266 on: September 08, 2022, 08:55:18 AM »
Honestly, I have seen this "type of answer" with almost EVERY Chinese (China) sellers. It's lack of quality control , which you should have been aware of;  and it's also normally that "everything is negotiable" .  Also, remember QC is by sampling , not 100% !! No companies do 100% QC.

I had some issues with my trifox parts , useable but since it's new, I wasn't happy, so I reached out, got a similar response. Spoke to them professionally and they replied professionally,  negotiated for a slight discount on replacement on the basis that I get to keep the old one.  Used it till the replacement came, and sold it as used with minor cosmetic damage... Broke even on money side of things, and get a "friend" in Trifox.

Had some issues when I bought Sensah OSPW from  Sensah , in their case, they wanted me to give a good review before they would even consider resolving the issues. I refused to be blackmail into a 5 star review before they would even "discussing" the resolution, and also they probably will not resolve it subsequently.... so gave them a 1-star.... but it does meant they ignore me. LOL..

I had the handlebar drilled by a local hardware shop, and Velobuild refunded me with the amount I spent for that work (25€). In the end, they did their best to solve the issue from there.

stu

« Reply #267 on: October 01, 2022, 05:28:54 PM »
I finished my VB-R-177 build yesterday. With Shimano 105 and DT Swiss 470 rims on Prime hubs, it's not super-light, coming in at 7.5kg.

Issues:
- the handlebar channels for concealed cables are very tight
- very difficult to mount the headset assembly with concealed cables and avoid headset play
- matt back paint is not even across the whole frame

Other than that, I'm pretty happy. This is my training bike, not for racing.

mwh0169

« Reply #268 on: October 04, 2022, 12:38:24 PM »
I finished my VB-R-177 build yesterday. With Shimano 105 and DT Swiss 470 rims on Prime hubs, it's not super-light, coming in at 7.5kg.

Issues:
- the handlebar channels for concealed cables are very tight
- very difficult to mount the headset assembly with concealed cables and avoid headset play
- matt back paint is not even across the whole frame

Other than that, I'm pretty happy. This is my training bike, not for racing.

Very respectable weight!!! Congratulations.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #269 on: October 04, 2022, 01:54:38 PM »
Most budget brands from the Far East should be treated as stepping stones rather than final destinations.

It's a great way to gain valuable bike building experience, before naturally progressing to the bike you actually want...

Time out even the budget bikes can be final destinations.  It depends. If you are just riding for fun and exercise and not racing.   A budget carbon bike is still a lot of bike for your money. As long as you have done your homework. You can end up with a final destination bike your first time. And that wasn't a joke about their safety.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]