Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-177  (Read 57640 times)

St0mpB0x

Re: Velobuild VB-R-177
« Reply #270 on: October 04, 2022, 04:20:26 PM »
The fork has exceeding painting, so that the bearings seems to not sit properly:

The bearings which sit on an integrated crown race don't necessarily sit flush against the flat shoulder of the fork. If when you put the fork + bearing into the frame it leaves an appropriate sized gap between frame and fork its probably correct. Having the bearing sit across a paint line is sub-optimal though.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #271 on: October 04, 2022, 04:52:46 PM »
The bearings which sit on an integrated crown race don't necessarily sit flush against the flat shoulder of the fork. If when you put the fork + bearing into the frame it leaves an appropriate sized gap between frame and fork its probably correct. Having the bearing sit across a paint line is sub-optimal though.

I mean the headtube and fork dont necessarily need the highest tolerance and alignment for fitting like the BBs do. As we arent worried about friction so much here. But going for the most optimal fit would improve the quality of the ride. 

Unless its sooo out of angular  alignment that it causes it to become unsafe.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

patliean1

« Reply #273 on: October 27, 2022, 03:27:40 PM »
I decided to retire my VB-168 frameset and rebuild my VB-177.  My current fleet is already filled with aero bikes that I ultimately prefer, and I just found myself not really liking the 168 even for what it is.

Now having ridden the 168 and 177 back to back, I think the 177 might be the better value.

pearl

« Reply #274 on: October 28, 2022, 07:18:57 PM »
Just watched your video, I really wish this frame worked for me with the wider tires! The black heart all road isn’t as aggressive but I’m enjoying it!

Serge_K

« Reply #275 on: October 29, 2022, 01:52:18 PM »
I decided to retire my VB-168 frameset and rebuild my VB-177.  My current fleet is already filled with aero bikes that I ultimately prefer, and I just found myself not really liking the 168 even for what it is.

Now having ridden the 168 and 177 back to back, I think the 177 might be the better value.

That's interesting. The descriptions on VB say both are "2021" frames, but only the 177 talks about carbon (T1000) and build tech (EPS & latex moulding). The 168 just says nothing. That would support the theory that the layup / build quality on the 177 is better.

I was assuming the 168 would be stiffer because of its shape, but you're saying the 177 is in fact stiffer and just rides better?

You're clearly a specialized fanboy, how did the 168 disappoint? I realize your Allez Sprint is not the geometry of an SL7, but it's fairly close. You're saying you could tell them apart?

Did you measure the weight difference between the 2 frames?

Can you fit 32mm on the 177?

patliean1

« Reply #276 on: October 29, 2022, 02:16:04 PM »
You're clearly a specialized fanboy

I chuckled at this statement, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you're new here.

Serge_K

« Reply #277 on: October 29, 2022, 03:19:17 PM »
I chuckled at this statement, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you're new here.

Sorry, English isn't my first language. That was not criticism, I really thought you do love Specialized!

pearl

« Reply #278 on: October 31, 2022, 09:18:18 AM »
Can you fit 32mm on the 177?

I was able to clear 32mm measured in the rear, but not in the front. Super disappointed.

s3si1u

« Reply #279 on: October 31, 2022, 11:51:07 AM »
Quick update on the latest iteration of my 177 ;D

She's now running a full SRAM Red 22 groupset instead of the mashup of SRAM parts+105 crankset I had before.
- Running a short cage RD with an 11-28 cassette. Anyone else using Red 22 cassettes? My old Force 22 cassette is definitely quieter...
- Sram Red 22 crankset (GXP 167.5mm) with Absolute Black 50/34 chainrings, 4iiii left side PM, and Wheels MFG BB.
- Velobuild saddle replaces the old Prologo. SMP copy I've dubbed the banana saddle, I sometimes wish it had a bit more padding but overall very comfortable.
- AliExpress straight seatpost. Elita One brand if I'm remembering correctly. It's just barely long enough, but a good option if you're looking for a cheap ($30) and lightweight (130g) straight round post.
- SRAM Centerline rotors replace the old Deckas lightweight rotors. These are significantly heavier than the old ones and performance isn't really any "better", but they look much cooler  :)
- Swapping between a Red 22 and a KMC X11EL gold chain. They're both good, but I think I liked the old Dura Ace chain just a hair more. It was a little quieter than both of these, but not as durable and removing/replacing the Shimano quick link was a huge pain.

As you see it, the bike is about 7.6kg

So all that being said, there will be another overhaul coming soon! I'm not really digging the 11-28 gearing and setting up the FD to work well with AB chainrings is easier said than done...this has me wanting to try out 1x. I have an AB 48t 1x ring coming in today and I'll be swapping to the old RD with 11-36 cassette. If all goes well, I'll commit to the 1x setup and splurge on a Ratio 12 Speed kit along with a 10-36 cassette and 46t chainring in the future. I also have new wheels, tires and bars coming in soon. Once all that has arrived I'll be taking the bike apart for a major cleaning and repainting. More updates coming soon!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 12:08:03 PM by s3si1u »
Instagram: @aerosloth

stu

« Reply #280 on: November 05, 2022, 06:13:20 PM »
Update on my Velobuild vb-r-177 build.
  • Locked in steerer and headset finally so there is no play and no excessive tightness with the concealed cables
  • Locked in seatpost so there is minimal turning when bolt tightened, but it is still slightly loose
  • 8.2kg overall weight
  • DT Swiss 470 rims and 28mm tubeless tyres (Pirelli p-Zero), 160mm discs
  • Shimano 105 R7020 group

This feels stiffer than my 2012 Venge and just as aero. Very smooth on the flat and I'm climbing better.
No creaks or cracks.  Good riding positions on the integrated handlebars.
Would like to get the seatpost issue fixed.
If I could be bothered putting lighter wheels on, this would be my best bike ever.

patliean1

« Reply #281 on: November 05, 2022, 09:03:33 PM »
I think the 177 might be VeloBuild's best frameset offering:

-Sub 1000g painted without derailleur hanger, braze on, or plastic grommets.
-T1000 carbon, lighter yet stiffer than T700/800.
-EPS molding.
-Traditional seatpost.
-(Subjectively) classic frame design.
-Stiff enough for climbing, while the seatpost offers compliancy.

My size Medium frame with Farsports Ventoux C4 wheels comes in at 7.3kg without pedals. And if I were to swap those out for my set of Elite Drive 45D w/ latex tubes I could easily get the bike down to 7.1kg - Crazy to think a $500 frame with a hydraulic disc groupset could be that lightweight.

Few things keeping the 177 from being perfect, that I'd like to see VeloBuild sort out. But for $500 I know they wont:
-Redesigning and/or relocating on the front derailleur opening/cable stop.
-Redesigning the stem and top cap for the separate stem/bar combo option.
-Redesigning the saddle rail clamp. There's no easy or logical method to tightening top bolt for the clamp if your saddle does not have cut away/hole/pressure relief channel.

I suspect that even as new designs get released from major brands, which VeloBuild will inevitably copy, VeloBuild will always have a market for the 177.

martocom

« Reply #282 on: November 06, 2022, 02:26:00 AM »
My 177 is on the way.
Full build incl. pedals should be just slighty over 7 Kg.

MovinMamba

« Reply #283 on: November 11, 2022, 04:24:15 PM »
Hey so this is my first time posting on this forum and I don't quite know how this works but I'll give it a shot. I bought a VBR 177 and I'm currently in the middle of building it up with a sram force etap axs group.

But for the life of me i cant figure out what the right bottom bracket is. I ordered the sram dub bb86 and installed normal sized cranks but they are rubbing on the frame. When I look at the wide variations they all look the same. Does anyone know what the right BB for SRAM groupsets on this frame is? I would appreciate any help i get, its also my first time building a bike so thanks all for all the help so far!

memebike

« Reply #284 on: November 12, 2022, 03:45:04 AM »
Hey so this is my first time posting on this forum and I don't quite know how this works but I'll give it a shot. I bought a VBR 177 and I'm currently in the middle of building it up with a sram force etap axs group.

But for the life of me i cant figure out what the right bottom bracket is. I ordered the sram dub bb86 and installed normal sized cranks but they are rubbing on the frame. When I look at the wide variations they all look the same. Does anyone know what the right BB for SRAM groupsets on this frame is? I would appreciate any help i get, its also my first time building a bike so thanks all for all the help so far!

did you put the spacer on as well?