Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-177  (Read 57710 times)

mwh0169

Re: Velobuild VB-R-177
« Reply #300 on: November 25, 2022, 02:52:38 PM »
Nice Build. Thanks for posting. Looks like you used another seat post then delivered by Velobuild?

MovinMamba

« Reply #301 on: November 25, 2022, 05:17:01 PM »
Nice Build. Thanks for posting. Looks like you used another seat post then delivered by Velobuild?

Yea I got the 20 euro/ dollar one on ali express, its surprisingly more comfortable than my fizik antares, definitely worth 20 dollars no matter which way you put it. also comes in at about 90g
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002626914825.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802HqFHyV

mwh0169

« Reply #302 on: November 26, 2022, 03:45:23 AM »
Yea I got the 20 euro/ dollar one on ali express, its surprisingly more comfortable than my fizik antares, definitely worth 20 dollars no matter which way you put it. also comes in at about 90g
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002626914825.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802HqFHyV

Yes I agree, I've got a similar saddle from Velobuild. But I was actually curious about the seat post, it seems to look different then the one that came with my frame.

MovinMamba

« Reply #303 on: November 26, 2022, 11:32:27 AM »
Yes I agree, I've got a similar saddle from Velobuild. But I was actually curious about the seat post, it seems to look different then the one that came with my frame.

Oh misread, its actually a 0 setback seatpost from velobuild

s3si1u

« Reply #304 on: December 08, 2022, 05:35:38 PM »
Quick update on the latest iteration of my 177 ;D

She's now running a full SRAM Red 22 groupset instead of the mashup of SRAM parts+105 crankset I had before.
- Running a short cage RD with an 11-28 cassette. Anyone else using Red 22 cassettes? My old Force 22 cassette is definitely quieter...
- Sram Red 22 crankset (GXP 167.5mm) with Absolute Black 50/34 chainrings, 4iiii left side PM, and Wheels MFG BB.
- Velobuild saddle replaces the old Prologo. SMP copy I've dubbed the banana saddle, I sometimes wish it had a bit more padding but overall very comfortable.
- AliExpress straight seatpost. Elita One brand if I'm remembering correctly. It's just barely long enough, but a good option if you're looking for a cheap ($30) and lightweight (130g) straight round post.
- SRAM Centerline rotors replace the old Deckas lightweight rotors. These are significantly heavier than the old ones and performance isn't really any "better", but they look much cooler  :)
- Swapping between a Red 22 and a KMC X11EL gold chain. They're both good, but I think I liked the old Dura Ace chain just a hair more. It was a little quieter than both of these, but not as durable and removing/replacing the Shimano quick link was a huge pain.

As you see it, the bike is about 7.6kg

So all that being said, there will be another overhaul coming soon! I'm not really digging the 11-28 gearing and setting up the FD to work well with AB chainrings is easier said than done...this has me wanting to try out 1x. I have an AB 48t 1x ring coming in today and I'll be swapping to the old RD with 11-36 cassette. If all goes well, I'll commit to the 1x setup and splurge on a Ratio 12 Speed kit along with a 10-36 cassette and 46t chainring in the future. I also have new wheels, tires and bars coming in soon. Once all that has arrived I'll be taking the bike apart for a major cleaning and repainting. More updates coming soon!  ;D

New updates  ;D
Here's V3.0 of my 177.
Tried out the 1x thing and it was cool, but I don't think I can commit to a 1x road bike just yet. This is my only road bike at the moment and even though I don't do long climbs too often, the compromise in low end gearing while trying to maintain relatively small gaps between cogs was definitely noticeable. Ended up back on a 2x setup. Much of the bike is the same, just repainted and cleaned her up then replaced some of the components. Here's the changes:

Same 177 medium frame that I have repainted yet again. The two tone is gone and replaced with a solid coat of the same color, but with much better prep and higher quality materials this time. Also went with a gloss darkish gray on the fork instead of the old black.
Red 22 hydraulic groupset up front
Rival rear derailleur with Force 11-32 cassette in the back
Praxis 52/36 chainrings
KMC gold chain
Same VB saddle and Aliexpress straight seatpost
The One Pro handlebar in 400x90
Farsports Kaze wheels in marble gloss with Bitex 312 hubs. 21mm ID/45mm depth. Really digging the wheels so far, but the freehub is oh so quiet and wimpy compared to my old Superteams :( :(
Wheels are currently set up tubeless with my old 29mm Enve SES tires. Have a set of 28mm Panaracer Agilest tires patiently waiting for Ridenow tubes to arrive so I can swap them.

The luggage scale is reading 7.51kg which may or may not change once I wrap the bars and change to the lighter tubes and tires.

Now, why aren't the bars wrapped? I may have made a couple errors when running the brake lines...ended up having to remove the hatch cover on the right shifter several times and replacing the hose once after cutting it too short...doing that so many times caused me to strip the plastic threads on one of the bolt holes AND on the banjo bolt hole  :) so the right shifter is pretty much toast. It leaks and at this point I think it needs to be replaced. Unless I figure out a fix, my options are:
a. a new Red 22 rear shifter
b. LTwoo R9 hydro groupset and swap out both my shifters and derailleurs

Both of these options are expensive, but the price difference is not that big...Until then, I've drained the fluid from the right brake and I'm running a front brake only for now. The solution will likely be one of these two options and the shifter(s) will need to come off, until then the bars will remain unwrapped  ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 08:07:28 PM by s3si1u »
Instagram: @aerosloth

patliean1

« Reply #305 on: December 14, 2022, 10:18:58 AM »
Has anyone tried using 30c tires and confirm they fit? If so what wheel and tire combo are you using?

I tried fitting Specialized Roubaix Pro tires (labeled as "30/32") paired to ENVE G23 wheels (23mm internal). Could not even mount the wheels front or back for lack of clearance.

mwh0169

« Reply #306 on: December 14, 2022, 01:42:30 PM »
New updates  ;D
Here's V3.0 of my 177.

Thank you for your post. Reminds me to post an update on my VB-R-177 soon myself. Although I’ve done way less too my bike  ;D.
Can you tell us a bit more about the process of painting and repainting the bike by yourself? I’m genuinely interested.

badIuck

« Reply #307 on: December 14, 2022, 02:52:35 PM »
Has anyone tried using 30c tires and confirm they fit? If so what wheel and tire combo are you using?

I tried fitting Specialized Roubaix Pro tires (labeled as "30/32") paired to ENVE G23 wheels (23mm internal). Could not even mount the wheels front or back for lack of clearance.
Did you ever measure your tires actual width with a caliper? Because you also said those tires wont fit the vb 168 when other people say 34mm actual width tires clear frame and fork..

pearl

« Reply #308 on: December 17, 2022, 04:20:10 PM »

My 30/32 Roubaix on skinner internal rims didn’t clear the front fork. I ran a 28mm gravel king on 19mm internal and it barely cleared the front too. Measured 29-30mm.

This is a big flaw for this frame. Just stick to 28mm and call it a day.

martocom

« Reply #309 on: December 26, 2022, 01:24:02 PM »
My 30/32 Roubaix on skinner internal rims didn’t clear the front fork. I ran a 28mm gravel king on 19mm internal and it barely cleared the front too. Measured 29-30mm.

This is a big flaw for this frame. Just stick to 28mm and call it a day.

Really?
28mm tires on 25mm rim (30mm measured) clear the front generously for me. There is room for 32mm (measured) or slightly more on my fork.

patliean1

« Reply #310 on: December 26, 2022, 02:44:50 PM »
After some research, it appears the Specialized Roubaix Pro "30/32" tire isn't a true 32c tire. It measures at least 2mm thicker/wider than advertised. Besides being just a crappy road tire in general, this would explain the clearance issue. Probably more like 34c tires.

The latest GP5000 TR-S in 32 is a true 32c tire with no clearance issues on my 168

Mowgli

« Reply #311 on: December 30, 2022, 04:30:09 AM »
Update on my 177 after about 1000km. I got the headset rubbing issue fixed, not by the replacement bearings which VB sent, but by sanding away the paint in the areas which rubbed. Not pretty, but worked. I swapped the horrible flexy handlebar for the Deda superbox stem and some Zipp alloy bars. I'm done with internal cble routing, especially on bars!

Had a bit of a problem after a long ride last week - the frame was full of water with no obvious way to drain it, and the headset bearings were grinding and making a terrible noise. I took the front end apart and the bearings are totally rusty. I don't have spare hoses and cables to be able to swap them right now so just greased as best I can, and reassembled.

Has anyone else had issues with water ingress? I'd like to drill a hole in the bottom of the BB shell, but this seems like a perfect way to start a crack.

Current build:

Previously (same wall!):

Serge_K

« Reply #312 on: January 01, 2023, 01:15:49 PM »

Has anyone else had issues with water ingress? I'd like to drill a hole in the bottom of the BB shell, but this seems like a perfect way to start a crack.

My unqualified opinion says: don't worry too much about causing a crack when drilling. Be careful, take your time, but you're not going to cause your frame to crack by drilling a small hole or 2 in the BB area.

martocom

« Reply #313 on: January 06, 2023, 07:16:18 AM »
My unqualified opinion says: don't worry too much about causing a crack when drilling. Be careful, take your time, but you're not going to cause your frame to crack by drilling a small hole or 2 in the BB area.

What diameter is needed to drain water? 2mm enough?
Not build the frame yet but I'm also considering drilling the frame as I have problems on another bike without a draining hole...

diP

« Reply #314 on: January 06, 2023, 08:29:42 AM »
What diameter is needed to drain water? 2mm enough?
Not build the frame yet but I'm also considering drilling the frame as I have problems on another bike without a draining hole...

The drain holes in the carbon rims from lightbicycle are 2.5mm:
https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter/Holes-On-Your-Carbon-Fiber-Rims.html