Author Topic: Any Chinese alloy wheels comparable to Hunt Wheels?  (Read 1779 times)

scourge

Any Chinese alloy wheels comparable to Hunt Wheels?
« on: April 09, 2021, 11:20:47 PM »
Just looking for a good quality alloy wheelset. Hoping for a low price, good hubs, and wide inner width. Hunt makes great alloy wheelsets, is there any Chinese equivalent? Thanks.

emu26

Re: Any Chinese alloy wheels comparable to Hunt Wheels?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 03:10:12 AM »
Scourge, not sure what size you are looking for nor what the Hunt wheels are like but I have to say I have been very happy with the Sun Ringle Durocs I put  on my FM10. Can't speak to durability yet as Sydney has had the wettest first 3 months to start the year that I can remember so only have about a dozen rides on them.  I'd be surprised if you find better, cheaper.

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/wheels/mountain/?pgnum=2   This place is in Melbourne Australia so not sure if they will ship to you.

svanimpe

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 07:58:30 AM »
Hunt wheels also use Novatec hubs (if I'm informed correctly). For the price of their alloy wheels, you can just buy Chinese carbon wheels with Novatec hubs (perhaps even DT Swiss 350, depending on the price range).

I'm very happy with my Light Carbon wheels. I've ordered several sets so far (both gravel and aero), and so far, no complaints at all.

Confused

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 12:51:47 PM »
+1 for LightCarbon on DT350s

scourge

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 11:50:59 PM »
Light Carbon look awesome, but I'm a budget biker looking to go as cheap as possible (of I can still find good quality). That's why I was kind of looking toward alloy. I figured maybe I could find a quality set fairly cheap.

Nicoloc

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 08:41:46 AM »
Try the rcz bike store.
When you enroll for the news letter they have some pretty decent prices on some model.you have to be patient for the model you are looking for to be on sale. But when that happens there are some pretty good deals.

scourge

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »
I guess I shouldn't have used Hunt as an example. Seems like people are not familiar with them.

What I'm looking for is fairly wide mtb wheels. Around 30mm inner diameter. The Mavics posted are at a good price, but are too narrow. I should have just said I'm looking for good wide mountain bike wheels as cheap as I can find.

I'll look into the other suggested options.

emu26

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 12:52:38 AM »
I guess I shouldn't have used Hunt as an example. Seems like people are not familiar with them.

What I'm looking for is fairly wide mtb wheels. Around 30mm inner diameter. The Mavics posted are at a good price, but are too narrow. I should have just said I'm looking for good wide mountain bike wheels as cheap as I can find.

I'll look into the other suggested options.

Did you look at the link in my post?  Remember, that is Aussie dollars.

scourge

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 12:59:15 AM »
Those Duroc wheels are for sure an option. Pretty much what I'm looking for. All depends on how much shipping is I guess. Thanks, Emu

emu26

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 02:44:15 AM »
Those Duroc wheels are for sure an option. Pretty much what I'm looking for. All depends on how much shipping is I guess. Thanks, Emu

When I was looking there was a few places in the US that also sold the Durocs but at the full RRP, not the discounted price CyclingDeal has them at.

The other place I found cheap wheels was Velomine but they are a little more hit and miss as to what they carry.  https://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=87_172

Good luck.

scourge

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 09:59:46 AM »
That is a great option for carbon wheels. A strong contender.

noodleshop

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 11:26:47 PM »
Second the Duroc rims. Running a Duroc 30 with the Sun Ringle SRC hubs on my MTB, best wheelset I've ever owned. They've taken quite a hammering, ridden 50km through a few thunderstorms here in the tropics. (I'm fairly light at 70kg FWIW)