Author Topic: Carbonda FM936 Sizing  (Read 3445 times)

Bossworld

Re: Carbonda FM936 Sizing
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2023, 06:19:51 AM »
I know it's a hotly debated issue on the main thread and this one, but I'm looking at getting the CRC Vitus FS Rapide which uses this frame.

I've not had a 'new' mountain bike in 10 years so aware geometry and sizing has changed.

My existing MTB is a 21" Specialized HardRock Disc Pro (26" wheel), which I modded to a 100mm RockShox.  I've tried several geometry calculators and overlays online and I'm usually either missing one measurement or not quite understanding something, so it's been difficult to ascertain what the comparison would be.

Long story short, I'm 188cm tall, ~187cm 'wingspan', I wear a 32" leg trouser but according to a tape measure and guidance online, crotch to ankle bone is closer to 33". Presumably I want the size Large?

It's going to be used for light trail riding and occasional road use if I'm out with my kids. Nothing massively demanding, just want to be comfortable for a few hours.

The only modern comparison I've got to compare is my partner's Liv Tempt 1 2021 (Medium, 29" wheel), which feels small for me.

Thank you
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 06:25:07 AM by Bossworld »

zilcho

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2023, 10:54:00 AM »
I know it's a hotly debated issue on the main thread and this one, but I'm looking at getting the CRC Vitus FS Rapide which uses this frame.

I've not had a 'new' mountain bike in 10 years so aware geometry and sizing has changed.

My existing MTB is a 21" Specialized HardRock Disc Pro (26" wheel), which I modded to a 100mm RockShox.  I've tried several geometry calculators and overlays online and I'm usually either missing one measurement or not quite understanding something, so it's been difficult to ascertain what the comparison would be.

Long story short, I'm 188cm tall, ~187cm 'wingspan', I wear a 32" leg trouser but according to a tape measure and guidance online, crotch to ankle bone is closer to 33". Presumably I want the size Large?

It's going to be used for light trail riding and occasional road use if I'm out with my kids. Nothing massively demanding, just want to be comfortable for a few hours.

The only modern comparison I've got to compare is my partner's Liv Tempt 1 2021 (Medium, 29" wheel), which feels small for me.

Thank you

I've found that I'm an outlier vs most others on here when it comes to picking a frame size, so take this how you want.
I'm 188 cm tall, 34" inseam, and I ride a large FM936 with a 60mm stem. The position on the bike feels good, but the front tire feels a little too far forward, and I'm considering a medium for a FM909 build (same geo as 936). There are a few members with the same height or even a little shorter that have gone with X-Large for the FM936.

For comparison, my FM1001 is also a Large with a 50mm stem and it feels perfect for a trail bike. The reach on this is much shorter than the FM936 and everyone else my size has gone X-Large, so apparently I like my bikes shorter.

Bossworld

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2023, 12:01:58 PM »
Thanks for the swift reply Zilcho. So I suppose at the same height but different body length, I'll hopefully be just in the sweet spot for the L? It's a 70mm stem on the Vitus L, versus a 60mm stem on the M.

I just don't want to end up feeling like it's too small for me, I vaguely remember agonising over the 19" or 21" Specialized all those years ago and went for the larger option. My gravel bike is an XL but I think that's quite a short format.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 12:03:54 PM by Bossworld »

theirishrider

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2023, 06:21:52 PM »
I’m 185 with 185 wingspan on a large with 60mm almost slammed is perfect. 170mm cranks too.