Author Topic: L-TWOO R9 2x11 hydraulic questions.  (Read 246 times)

Takiyaki

L-TWOO R9 2x11 hydraulic questions.
« on: May 08, 2024, 09:12:26 PM »
Anyone running these with Shimano derailleurs? Is that thumb shifter comfortable? How do they hold up over time? And how much do the shifters weigh? I feel like these shifters + Shimano derailleurs are a cheap weight-weenieish setup.

jonathanf2

Re: L-TWOO R9 2x11 hydraulic questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 09:40:49 PM »
Anyone running these with Shimano derailleurs? Is that thumb shifter comfortable? How do they hold up over time? And how much do the shifters weigh? I feel like these shifters + Shimano derailleurs are a cheap weight-weenieish setup.

I didn't like the Ltwoo thumb shifter. I couldn't fully wrap my hand around the shifters because it was in the way. If you shop around you can find Ultegra hydraulic shifters for a good price. Also I'd rather run the  Sensah Team Pro HRD shifters, mainly because I prefer the solid click shifts especially on the left shifter. If going mechanical those would be my 2 choices.

Ronronson

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 02:33:41 AM »
I have a pair of R9 2x11 shifters that I intend to match with an Ultegra R8000 front and rear setup. Opting for this combination was a budget-conscious decision that appeared to be the most sensible choice. Although I haven't completed the full build yet, my initial impressions are positive. Each shifter weighs 250g, and considering the price I paid (around £35), the quality of the rubber seems satisfactory. If everything functions as expected, this could be an effective money-saving strategy, but I cannot guarantee its long-term performance. I'll provide an update once the bike is fully assembled.

Takiyaki

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 06:12:19 AM »
I didn't like the Ltwoo thumb shifter. I couldn't fully wrap my hand around the shifters because it was in the way. If you shop around you can find Ultegra hydraulic shifters for a good price. Also I'd rather run the  Sensah Team Pro HRD shifters, mainly because I prefer the solid click shifts especially on the left shifter. If going mechanical those would be my 2 choices.
I'm on the fence about Sensah. I've heard mixed things about the comfort, specifically around the length of the shift throws. Ultegra 8020 shifters seem pretty common so I might lean that way. Seems like all the mechanical hydraulic shifters are boat anchors anyway

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 08:12:06 AM »
I'm on the fence about Sensah. I've heard mixed things about the comfort, specifically around the length of the shift throws. Ultegra 8020 shifters seem pretty common so I might lean that way. Seems like all the mechanical hydraulic shifters are boat anchors anyway

given the state of the 2nd hand bike market, if you can, get Shimano and not Sensah. I've had mixed experience with Sensah 2x11 carbon. Shimano just works, vs Sensah is largely untested, and if you have warranty issues, you find yourself without a bike for 6 weeks if you're lucky, to deal with back and forth, explanations, shipping and so on. Although, in my experience, Sensah just tells you to eat a d1ck and doesn't honor any kind of warranty anyway, so that simplifies things.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 12:24:56 PM »
given the state of the 2nd hand bike market, if you can, get Shimano and not Sensah. I've had mixed experience with Sensah 2x11 carbon. Shimano just works, vs Sensah is largely untested, and if you have warranty issues, you find yourself without a bike for 6 weeks if you're lucky, to deal with back and forth, explanations, shipping and so on. Although, in my experience, Sensah just tells you to eat a d1ck and doesn't honor any kind of warranty anyway, so that simplifies things.
Yes, just get second hand ultegra. It just works.

jonathanf2

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2024, 01:19:31 PM »
The current batch of Sensah shifters have all the kinks ironed out. I'd go Sensah over LTwoo mechanical any day just so I wouldn't have to fiddle with that dumb Ltwoo thumb shifter.

Saying that, 11 speed Ultegra mechanical is the way to go or pick up 12 speed 105 R7100 hydraulics. They seem to be priced similar.

I'm starting to appreciate 12 speed and the better gear spread you get as you size up on the cassette.