Author Topic: Recommendations for a carbon saddle?  (Read 16291 times)

Greenred

Re: Recommendations for a carbon saddle?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2022, 03:15:08 PM »
I ordered the Elita One in the small 143mm size and will report back. Looks like a specialized knock off.
Seems rather comfortable at only 122g!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808616991.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.27424c4dIuSNxM

OlieSimpson

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 05:33:50 AM »
I've put 5,000km on this one and it's been great! Very comfortable (even on 3 hour+ rides) and has shown no signs of wear. Would highly recommend it!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001009080376.html

I've paired it with an OG-Evkin seatpost which has also been fantastic. Never slipped or creaked and is pretty light.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33000810443.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 07:38:59 AM by OlieSimpson »

patliean1

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 08:09:43 AM »
Shame more brands don't offer 128mm saddles...

Having gone from using 143mm width short-nose saddles, to a 138 traditional saddle, it turns out a 128 width carbon rail saddle from Prime Bike Components is the most comfortable for me.

saintrider

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 03:05:10 AM »
I Have two San Marco (on the roadie and MTB) like this 130mm (114g) https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005001649437595.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1d86671fDKUVFL&algo_pvid=f3c9cf2f-8ba9-427c-94b0-492632ee2319&algo_exp_id=f3c9cf2f-8ba9-427c-94b0-492632ee2319-0&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000016979640386%22%7D&pdp_pi=-1%3B16.94%3B-1%3BEUR+2.45%40salePrice%3BEUR%3Bsearch-mainSearch...Didn't adapt to the one on the Road due to the more aero position and sticked with my Old Selle SMP Evo. Other than that its great even with all the bumps on the MTB.

carbonazza

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 10:11:52 AM »
Update on my EC90 saddle, it cracked  :-[

Rails seem to be ok but as picture, the left side next to the cut out cracked. It must have splintered a few rides ago as I started to notice by bibs were catching on something but it wasn't obvious. Then on my last ride this weekend the sharp pieces of carbon tore a bunch of holes in one of my nicest bibs and it became clear...

I've contacted the seller a couple of days ago (EC90 Official Store) and so far they have have read the messages but not responded. I was very close to buying another of these saddles for my gravel bike as I have been super happy with it up until the crack on the while riding it on the road bike. Not sure if what I got was a dud or I should expect this to happen again. I'm 90Kg and the saddle says it can support max 100Kg.

Not sure as the picture is a bit blurred, but it looks like an impact.
I hit one like this one day, putting the bike against a pole to park it, and the saddle hit the pole too hard, and cracked, not that much, but enough to catch my bib too.

At that price, I see them as another disposable part of the bike, and have always one home as a backup.

hazzer19

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 10:54:16 AM »
Not sure as the picture is a bit blurred, but it looks like an impact.
I hit one like this one day, putting the bike against a pole to park it, and the saddle hit the pole too hard, and cracked, not that much, but enough to catch my bib too.

At that price, I see them as another disposable part of the bike, and have always one home as a backup.

Here is another photo. I hadn't thought about this being an impact related issue and I can't think of a time the saddle hit something but may it was more subtle and didn't take much.

Finally after getting Aliexpress to send the seller a "reminder" about the issues they responded and offered a replacement. Will see how the next one works out. Hopefully all goes well and I'll replace the saddle on my other bike with one of these as well!

1Sigma

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2022, 12:12:11 PM »
Update on my EC90 saddle, it cracked  :-[

Rails seem to be ok but as picture, the left side next to the cut out cracked. It must have splintered a few rides ago as I started to notice by bibs were catching on something but it wasn't obvious. Then on my last ride this weekend the sharp pieces of carbon tore a bunch of holes in one of my nicest bibs and it became clear...

I've contacted the seller a couple of days ago (EC90 Official Store) and so far they have have read the messages but not responded. I was very close to buying another of these saddles for my gravel bike as I have been super happy with it up until the crack on the while riding it on the road bike. Not sure if what I got was a dud or I should expect this to happen again. I'm 90Kg and the saddle says it can support max 100Kg.

I doubt that they will remedy it. I suspect they fall into the "you get what you pay for" vendors or AliX.  I almost feel like the 100kg claim is more of a 100% chance of failure rating.

My crack hasn't gotten any worse, but then it's been on the indoor trainer since December.  Also, I've dropped 8kg, which probably helps.

I will probably patch mine with a little carbon fiber and call it a day.

Let us know if they get back to you, and if you buy a replacement or get a different saddle!
Better than average - Extra Average

hazzer19

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 01:47:12 PM »
I doubt that they will remedy it. I suspect they fall into the "you get what you pay for" vendors or AliX.  I almost feel like the 100kg claim is more of a 100% chance of failure rating.

My crack hasn't gotten any worse, but then it's been on the indoor trainer since December.  Also, I've dropped 8kg, which probably helps.

Let us know if they get back to you, and if you buy a replacement or get a different saddle!

Hey! Looks like you didn't see my last post, they are sending a replacement. Interested to see how this one works out. Tempted to fix the current one with some gorilla tape if I can get away with it  ;D and use it on the gravel bike

1Sigma

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 06:39:14 PM »
Hey! Looks like you didn't see my last post, they are sending a replacement. Interested to see how this one works out. Tempted to fix the current one with some gorilla tape if I can get away with it  ;D and use it on the gravel bike

Nice! If you already shredded a pair of bib tights, I'd probably steer clear of the gorilla tape lol
Better than average - Extra Average

hazzer19

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 12:40:47 PM »
Nice! If you already shredded a pair of bib tights, I'd probably steer clear of the gorilla tape lol

Good point, may still risk it if it seems stable lol - interested in your carbon repair though. How involved is it for someone that has never done something like that?

StiffWeenies

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2022, 10:10:28 AM »
I recommend the Huooge X6S saddle. It’s a Power replica in terms of shape and has carbon rails and shell unlike lower end offerings such as the EC90.

saintrider

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2022, 03:21:01 AM »

I think There is a big misconception of vendors on Ali express and people don't even contact the vendors they just assume wont get an answer or the problem solved.... Up to this day everything i had problems with was replaced by the vendor at no cost for me .....A friend of mine broke a carbon rim due to a big impact on a rock (Clearly out of Warranty). After sending them photos (the goal was to have a discounted replacement) they replied saying they would replace the rim. Another had a cracked integrated handlebar (replaced at no cost), broken Seatpost - Replaced, Cassete problem - Replaced.....list goes on... I guess it depends on the vendor reputation, but the majority nowadays dont want to risk bad reviews.

hazzer19

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2022, 01:09:29 PM »
I think There is a big misconception of vendors on Ali express and people don't even contact the vendors they just assume wont get an answer or the problem solved.... Up to this day everything i had problems with was replaced by the vendor at no cost for me .....A friend of mine broke a carbon rim due to a big impact on a rock (Clearly out of Warranty). After sending them photos (the goal was to have a discounted replacement) they replied saying they would replace the rim. Another had a cracked integrated handlebar (replaced at no cost), broken Seatpost - Replaced, Cassete problem - Replaced.....list goes on... I guess it depends on the vendor reputation, but the majority nowadays dont want to risk bad reviews.

Good point, you need to try at least.

Also if you're not getting an answer I found a pretty hard to find option where Aliexpress with "remind" (their words) the seller that something needs attention and once I did that I got a response whereas I hadn't before.

saintrider

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2022, 01:37:55 PM »
When i bought my Frame, i've contacted the seller with a question.....and shared photos of the DYI painted bike i did, with him. He asked me to put the photos in the review and he would send me a gift.....the gift was a 85€ 800mm integrated carbon handlebar (Ryet). Im not using it as i already have one, but it is there in the shelf waiting for a shot :). Tell me which named brand would do that  8)

hazzer19

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2022, 11:16:33 AM »
Update on my cracked EC90. The seller sent me a replacement and so far so good! Not sure I've had it for as long as the first one so we shall see what happens over time. I'm also going to be more careful to avoid any impacts when leaning it against a wall or poll as @carbonazza suggested. For that price and weight, I can also see it being becoming a "disposable" part although I don't like the idea of that.

I'm still using the cracked one with gorilla tape on it to avoid cutting bibs on the gravel bike and also so far so good. Maybe I'll look into a carbon DIY repair some day.