Author Topic: ceramic OSPW and BBs!  (Read 3771 times)

Nickk2000

ceramic OSPW and BBs!
« on: May 17, 2021, 09:01:11 PM »
anyone buy ospw's and ceramic bbs from aliexpress? any reviews on them long term? Im afraid if i buy either of them theyll crap out in 6 months. i dont plan to ride them when its pouring rain as itll be on my more expensive endurance bike, but.

let me know what you guys have in terms of experience!

hazzer19

Re: ceramic OSPW and BBs!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 10:34:40 AM »
anyone buy ospw's and ceramic bbs from aliexpress? any reviews on them long term? Im afraid if i buy either of them theyll crap out in 6 months. i dont plan to ride them when its pouring rain as itll be on my more expensive endurance bike, but.

let me know what you guys have in terms of experience!

Curious about a OSPW that doesn't break the bank and is safe as well. I read on another thread here I think that the Rockbros one isn't good. Also saw a video of a review where the rider had a pretty bad crash because the generic OSPW broke under load which scared me to buy a cheaper one.

cst_jpr

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 05:12:11 PM »
There is no point in buying ceramic bearings, especially if you expect any sort of water/dirt ingress. Not sure why people keep believing this BS.
If you really want low losses, buy a proper low friction LU seal bearing from a reputable company (NOT no name chinese brand), swap it out, and expect to swap it out again shortly after it dies from contamination.

https://www.hambini.com/ceramic-bearings-vs-steel-bearings-an-engineering-analysis/

The ceramic pulley wheels that Trace velo bought were completely unsealed. Which means after a single ride you'd have more friction than an equivalent sealed steel bearing. I'm not sure if the OSPW are using the same bearings or not.

Matt_C

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 12:17:30 PM »
I'm on my second OSPW. First was a rockbros one... Absolutely terrible, it only had one option for chain tension. I am now using an unbranded ceramic speed replica which is working flawlessly and it was cheaper than the rockbros one.

Here is a link for the ceramic speed replica. I pulled off the decals quite easily: https://a.aliexpress.com/_uYD27T

I have also included a picture of it.

hazzer19

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 12:05:24 AM »
I'm on my second OSPW. First was a rockbros one... Absolutely terrible, it only had one option for chain tension. I am now using an unbranded ceramic speed replica which is working flawlessly and it was cheaper than the rockbros one.

Here is a link for the ceramic speed replica. I pulled off the decals quite easily: https://a.aliexpress.com/_uYD27T

I have also included a picture of it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Anyone have any experience with OG-EVKIN OSPWs?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002399879230.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.9a947267RQwNRk&algo_pvid=2114d808-9e52-4f62-bd3e-d1648b8921bb&algo_expid=2114d808-9e52-4f62-bd3e-d1648b8921bb-4&btsid=0bb0623416220915585561649e15d5&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Schumo

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 11:33:16 AM »
I like the "Forged Carbon" look of the OG-Evkins, and the fact that they make one for the 105 RD.
I guess the open ceramic bearings would be an issue, the beefy cage probably not.
Not sure if it would work with my 32t cassette or my current chain length.

Nickk2000

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 01:14:54 PM »
I bought kocevlo carbon handlebars and they were creaking and cracking just tightening the stem, pieces of junk, lateral flex is horrible, breakable easily. I bought a generic one thats so freaking solid and i ride that on my backup road bike. 100-200 miles in and nothing but perfection.

So kocevlo is a turn off, maybe i just got a bad handlebar but i wouldnt put the lack of quality past them. Og evkin ive heard decent thongs about but im also hesitant about them. The provlem i see is that a name brand ospw is $250 (not ceramic speed, nova maybe?) maybe even 300. But a “name brand” chinese one is $150 and you just dont know the quality, tbh if i were to look at one of those i might just buy the name brand for double the price. Frames are a different story. Didnt realize how hit or miss, even shite the bearings are or can be

hazzer19

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 10:05:58 AM »
I bought kocevlo carbon handlebars and they were creaking and cracking just tightening the stem, pieces of junk, lateral flex is horrible, breakable easily. I bought a generic one thats so freaking solid and i ride that on my backup road bike. 100-200 miles in and nothing but perfection.

So kocevlo is a turn off, maybe i just got a bad handlebar but i wouldnt put the lack of quality past them. Og evkin ive heard decent thongs about but im also hesitant about them. The provlem i see is that a name brand ospw is $250 (not ceramic speed, nova maybe?) maybe even 300. But a “name brand” chinese one is $150 and you just dont know the quality, tbh if i were to look at one of those i might just buy the name brand for double the price. Frames are a different story. Didnt realize how hit or miss, even shite the bearings are or can be

Fair points. That OG EVKIN OSPW is USD $52 though, so I feel like it could be worth the chance, providing the risk is just breaking it but it could lead to a bad crash if you are mid sprint...

Matt_C

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 01:13:18 PM »

Kocevelo is not a brand. They just get stuff from different factories and slap a sticker on it. The OSPW is identical to ceramic speed, even the carbon pattern. One key design aspect is that it uses a little ramp to make installation easier (same as ceramic speed). Not something you will find on any other OSPW at this price point.

hazzer19

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 04:53:08 PM »
Kocevelo is not a brand. They just get stuff from different factories and slap a sticker on it. The OSPW is identical to ceramic speed, even the carbon pattern. One key design aspect is that it uses a little ramp to make installation easier (same as ceramic speed). Not something you will find on any other OSPW at this price point.

I wonder how well the cheaper TW-XL model works

Matt_C

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 06:36:58 PM »
Looks cheap. Only 2 tension options and a screw in stopper

1Sigma

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 07:03:53 PM »
Following this thread, and I have to ask, "is there a good OSPW option from AliEx?"
Not sure this was answered.

Has anybody found one that comes with sealed bearings? Not important if they are ceramic
Hell, even bushings are better than exposed bearings.

I am looking for an OSPW as well for my Sensah.  I know the Sensah store sells a third party OSPW, but no idea if it is any good.

And I think most of us know, empirically, the gains from an OSPW with ceramic bearings is marginal.

What is important is that a sexy looking rear derailleur adds at least 10
Watts
Better than average - Extra Average

Nickk2000

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 08:57:35 PM »
Following this thread, and I have to ask, "is there a good OSPW option from AliEx?"
Not sure this was answered.

Has anybody found one that comes with sealed bearings? Not important if they are ceramic
Hell, even bushings are better than exposed bearings.

I am looking for an OSPW as well for my Sensah.  I know the Sensah store sells a third party OSPW, but no idea if it is any good.

And I think most of us know, empirically, the gains from an OSPW with ceramic bearings is marginal.

What is important is that a sexy looking rear derailleur adds at least 10
Watts
people have had luck with kocevlo. you know, if you dont care about how smooth the bearings are, whats preventing you from putting in steel bearings in the ospw and calling it a day? some enduro bearings maybe?

1Sigma

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 10:50:27 AM »
people have had luck with kocevlo. you know, if you dont care about how smooth the bearings are, whats preventing you from putting in steel bearings in the ospw and calling it a day? some enduro bearings maybe?

Thanks Nick. Was thinking about that - was just hoping there was an option that didn't require swapping bearings.

I'll check out kocevlo
Better than average - Extra Average

Nickk2000

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 02:24:31 PM »
Their aerofly is horrible. Waste of $50 on my end, but i cant attest to their ospw, but i bet its open bearings. Sealed steel on those, would love to see it. Let me know!