Author Topic: Frame suggestion  (Read 5515 times)

OlieSimpson

Re: Frame suggestion
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 02:23:19 PM »
Found a few more china frames that seem to meet my criteria. Does anyone have experience with the following either as a brand or the specific frame that's referenced?

Yoeleo R9 https://www.yoeleobike.com/products/road-bike-frame-carbon-disc-brake-r9 - slightly older model which was released in 2019 I think, but is a proper aero frame. Quite expensive for a China frame.

Yoeleo R12 2021 Model https://www.yoeleobike.com/products/disc-brake-road-bike-frame-r12 - Looks to be a good balance or aero and endurance. Also quite expensive for a China frame.

Miracle R12 2021 Model - this looks like the same frame as the Yoeleo R12 2021 model but direct from Miracle who look to be the original producers that Yoeleo buy from.

ICAN/Triaero A9 [url=https://icancycling.com/collections/aero-frame-a9]https://icancycling.com/collections/aero-frame-a9
Also a solid looking proper aero bike and quite a bit cheaper than the Yoeleo R9 Aero

ICAN/Triaero A22 https://icancycling.com/collections/road-bike-frame/products/aero-disc-road-frame - Looks to be the newer version of the ICAN A9 and probably my favourite option. It's also almost €200 cheaper than the A9 and more within my budget. ICAN recommend 25c tyres for this frame, I'd love to know if a 28c would fit as this is what I run, or if the 25c recommendation is actually the max size.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 08:59:05 AM by OlieSimpson »

Nickk2000

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 12:39:10 PM »
Gcn did a video saying lightweight beat aero (1 kg, 2.2 lbs less) after 7% for average guys and 4% for pros. Take that into consideration.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2021, 08:37:51 AM »
Gcn did a video saying lightweight beat aero (1 kg, 2.2 lbs less) after 7% for average guys and 4% for pros. Take that into consideration.

Yeah I saw that, at the end of the video I think they stated that the tyre pressures and sizes weren't equal which probably had an effect on the results. You would have thought being the only contact point with the road they would have checked that before hand  :o

On the topic of light frames though, the Elves Vanya Disc seems to be a pretty good option: https://elvesbike.com/portfolio/vanyar-disc/ , although I can't find many reviews online

Gowes

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2021, 06:08:41 AM »
Ok for geometry wise and tire clearance I’ve narrowed it to 2 choices:
1. Tantan GR029 or GR039
2. Carbonda CFR505

Anyone have experience with those 2? Which one has more compliance, and better for long distance comfort?

carbonazza

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2021, 04:13:33 PM »
Ok for geometry wise and tire clearance I’ve narrowed it to 2 choices:
1. Tantan GR029 or GR039
2. Carbonda CFR505

Anyone have experience with those 2? Which one has more compliance, and better for long distance comfort?

TanTan is quite so-so recently with their after sale support, if things go wrong.
And unfortunately the CFR505 is not sold by carbonda anymore.
You didn't like the CFR707?

Gowes

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2021, 09:51:33 PM »
TanTan is quite so-so recently with their after sale support, if things go wrong.
And unfortunately the CFR505 is not sold by carbonda anymore.
You didn't like the CFR707?

Size wise, CFR707 has longer reach and top tube, it’s also heavier. Although the BSA is great. I’m buying frame for a person who use size 47 at the moment.  And I don’t think it will fit him. I saw you have experiences with CFR505. What do you think it compares to GR029 in terms of long distance comfort? How do they feel, compared with other big brand names you had?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 09:57:47 PM by Gowes »

1Sigma

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2021, 10:03:09 PM »
The more I look into, the more choices I have. But they’re all still between endurance or gravel geometry’s.

Tantan gr039 perfect reach, slightly less weight
Carbonda cfr1056 higher stack, medium reach, decent weight
Velobuild gf001 acceptable reach, high stack, abit weight
Vbr066 light weight
Hongfu fm088
Lightcarbon 071sd

I think my choice would still between endurance and gravel frame. Has anyone compare have those 2? (Chiner frame, of course). How are their compliance and stiffness with the same wheelset?

On the topic of Velobuild, their 177 frame is their climbing frame, although I didn't check their geometry against your requirements.
Better than average - Extra Average

Gowes

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2021, 11:49:49 PM »
On the topic of Velobuild, their 177 frame is their climbing frame, although I didn't check their geometry against your requirements.

177 is a nice looking frame. Although it needs cable management or atleast a water outlet in BB area. But as you said, it’s a climbing frame which I’m not looking into… yet.  :)

carbonazza

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2021, 06:53:49 AM »
Size wise, CFR707 has longer reach and top tube, it’s also heavier. Although the BSA is great. I’m buying frame for a person who use size 47 at the moment.  And I don’t think it will fit him. I saw you have experiences with CFR505. What do you think it compares to GR029 in terms of long distance comfort? How do they feel, compared with other big brand names you had?

My CFR-505 is my go-to bike if I ride more than 300km, not because it is more comfortable than my Canyon Ultimate CF-SLX, but because it has all the screws for bags  ;)
I don't know the GR029, but comfort comes from a relatively flexible seatpost(27.2mm) and low pressure tires(eg: 2.5 or 3bars for 40mm tires).
The frame has little to do with comfort. The two triangles of a frame are stiff enough for most of us.

Geometry plays a role too if the rider is not very flexible anymore.
Maybe a shorter stem and spacers, or horror... a reversed stem  ;D may bring the handlebar where it should be for your friend on a 707 ?

FHS

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2021, 10:45:51 AM »
The frame has little to do with comfort. The two triangles of a frame are stiff enough for most of us.

That's an interesting thought. Are you referring to the particular range of choices in this thread, or to bike frames in general?

carbonazza

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2021, 03:28:48 PM »
That's an interesting thought. Are you referring to the particular range of choices in this thread, or to bike frames in general?
In general.
Things happen for sure, Specialized for instance, improved recently the new Crux stiffness by working around the headtube, making other areas lighter.
Most of us will not note the % of stiffness added every year by bike manufacturers.

Gowes

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2021, 08:24:55 AM »
Ok, so I bought the GR029 from Tantan since they responded very well.

Now I’m consulting for wheelsets with ‘timetec bike store’ from aliexpress because someone mentioned it here, or other forum; I forgot. Anyone have experience with their stuff? Their rims are lighter, and half the price of light bicycle. I wonder what’re the differences.

Will post how it builds here if anyone interested.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 08:27:39 AM by Gowes »

Gowes

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2021, 08:35:49 AM »
My CFR-505 is my go-to bike if I ride more than 300km, not because it is more comfortable than my Canyon Ultimate CF-SLX, but because it has all the screws for bags  ;)
I don't know the GR029, but comfort comes from a relatively flexible seatpost(27.2mm) and low pressure tires(eg: 2.5 or 3bars for 40mm tires).

Geometry plays a role too if the rider is not very flexible anymore.
Maybe a shorter stem and spacers, or horror... a reversed stem  ;D may bring the handlebar where it should be for your friend on a 707 ?

As far as I know, frames do flex vertically to reduce or absorbs vibrations. That’s why a good carbon frame manufacturer pay attention to the layers of carbons. Some thinner, while thicker on other parts. What they avoid is the lateral flex; they want it stiff in that directions to avoid energy loss when pedaling.

Ie. Fork needs some compliance, I have an old rigid MTB fork with same diameter top to bottom. Not sure if it’s butted or not, and it’s so stiff it vibrates alot to my neck on bad roads. Change it to another, boy it feels much better. It get it’s job better smoothening bad roads. But fork need to be stiff so it can reject the lateral force when standing. Disc rub when off saddle is the sign of bad flex.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 08:44:51 AM by Gowes »

carbonazza

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2021, 06:49:17 PM »
As far as I know, frames do flex vertically to reduce or absorbs vibrations. That’s why a good carbon frame manufacturer pay attention to the layers of carbons. Some thinner, while thicker on other parts. What they avoid is the lateral flex; they want it stiff in that directions to avoid energy loss when pedaling.

It appears(again from the new Crux) it is more the shape of the tubes and their connections, than the carbon layups that make the stiffness.

eg: some flatish seatstays may flex more vertically, than laterally.
But chainstays are generally in the other direction.
The fork flexes, when climbing "en danseuse" or sprinting, my front disc often rub.
But good luck to flex vertically the down-seat-top tubes triangle ;)

carbonazza

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2021, 10:39:40 AM »
It is not common that Hambini makes a extremely positive review of a frame.
The ICAN A22 passed the test with flying colors.

I guess they knew what they were doing, and extra machined the BB, the brake mounts, etc...
But in any case, I never worked with them, but will try for sure in the future.