Author Topic: various questions about custom build vs brand road bike (cost, issues, warranty)  (Read 2329 times)

FHS

Sounds like you are having a harder time of it than me. Sounds like a pain.

I had just started to notice the creaking. It wasn't constant, but it was persistent while riding. Honestly, if I didn't bike in the quiet of 5:00 in the morning, I don't know that I would have noticed it at all. I didn't hear it at all when I put the bike up on a stand to check it out. Like I said, I didn't worry too much about it because I had plans to change the bottom bracket anyway. As mentioned, the fresh install of the new bracket took care of any creaking issues. That was back at the beginning of March. No creaking at all since. I've probably put 1500 miles or so on the new set up.

Best of luck.

Nickk2000

Okay, thanks. My creaking was fine actually until i did a quick little sprint. Its like i jarred something out of place. Its also fine when im maybe under 300 watts, but if i crank it up to over 6-700, i hear it. And its not really a creak id say its a crackling creak kind of thing. One that raises concern but not enough where you know its going to explode. The best sound i could compare it to is if part of the plastic sleeve broke off and is jumping around in there.

Schumo

Im sorry to comment so much, but you said you have the r12. Did you suffer with brake alignment at all? I cant get it to not rub the littleist bit. Im sure it could ne die to me crashing and slightly bendinf the rotor (which i obv tried to fix a little bit) and maybe its because i have under 100 miles on the pads, but im wondering if theres no such thing as perfect for the r12.

I think in the very beginning I had small rubbing issues on the fork, but they're gone now.

I try to find the spot where it rubs the most, loose the caliper there and tighten it back while keeping the brakes pulled.

Nickk2000

Thanks, i fixed it for now, ive had bad luck doing your method so i just eyeballed it. Looks good

1Sigma

This is what I had.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb86-92-outboard-abec-3-bb-for-24mm-shimano-cranks-black.html

I think a fresh reinstall would have taken care of the creaking.  That's what I did when I switched to these.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb86-to-29mm-dub-compatible-kit-for-pressfit-86-92-bottom-bracket-with-flanged-dual-row-black-oxide-sealed-bearings.html

Haven't had any new creaking since I installed these  back at the beginning of March. A good cleaning, new coat of grease, took my time. 

Hope that helps.

For those interested, ZTTO also sells threaded press-fit bottom brackets, with or without ceramic bearings.
Apparently it's a good solution to mitigate creaking.  Also ready to install and doesn't require special tools

All in, everything from frame to tire sealant, shipping and duties, cost me around $2,400USD (still might get whacked with extra duties, as some large parts still en route)
The closest brand equivalents cost around $3,500 to $4,000 after taxes.  And for that price I do not get pedals, carbon wheels, or dual-sided power meters.

Mind you, I went full Chiner on this, with zero mainstream parts except for cable housing.
A lot of people will lose a lot of their savings on the group set, where they won't be able to receive the wholesale price. I went with the Sensah Empire Pro 2x12, which I'd place around 105 R7000 for value.

Warranty? Not overly concerned.  An extra $1,000 to $1,500 covers a lot of repairs. 
The satisfaction of building your own bike piece by piece? Priceless
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 01:06:43 PM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average

Nickk2000

Yeah, i was comparing my bike to a canyon (aeroad or endurance)? Cf slx force etap. It came with reynold wheels, roughly the same weight, $5500. If i wasnt an idiot my bike would cost $4k. But it ended up costing maybe 4100 due to touch up paint and other odds and ends. I wanted my bike to have electronic shifting and i bet force etap maybe costs the companies $1500? Mine costed $2k. So thats one of the ways. The canyon didnt have full integrated cabling, my r12 does.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 03:11:56 PM by Nickk2000 »

1Sigma

Fair point. Have you had to deal with creaks commonly? My two open molds ive had to deal with creaks in the bb area due to various things. Worth the price and fixed them with grease, but i wonder how common it is?

I dont think ill buy a brand name frame again.

Apparently a creaky bottom bracket is just common in general with carbon pressfit frames
Or so Hambini tells us…

1Sigma

Yeah, i was comparing my bike to a canyon (aeroad or endurance)? Cf slx force etap. It came with reynold wheels, roughly the same weight, $5500. If i wasnt an idiot my bike would cost $4k. But it ended up costing maybe 4100 due to touch up paint and other odds and ends. I wanted my bike to have electronic shifting and i bet force etap maybe costs the companies $1500? Mine costed $2k. So thats one of the ways. The canyon didnt have full integrated cabling, my r12 does.

Force eTap is a sweet groupo nonetheless.  Was tempted myself, but just couldn’t pull the trigger on it. Also, broke with my 100% made-in-China rule for my build.
I’m sure your R12 set you back as well, but it is a quality frame.

Nickk2000

it is common to have them but its relatively easy to fix it. my creaks/crack sounds come from the rear thru axle. so if i hear it, i take it out a little, put it back in.

Nickk2000

Force eTap is a sweet groupo nonetheless.  Was tempted myself, but just couldn’t pull the trigger on it. Also, broke with my 100% made-in-China rule for my build.
I’m sure your R12 set you back as well, but it is a quality frame.

it did set me back. Looking back on it, i kind of wish i spent an extra $700 and just got the professional prebuilt r12. came with duraace 9170 and dt240 hub carbon wheels. i have dt350 with force. so thats a lesson learned. but i dont know if that $700 would be worth the extra what, 250-300 grams i save? Im starting to realize that 1-2 lbs is minute compared to my body being on the bike.

if you told my past self i was going to be spending $4k on a bike id say you were high.

braincore

if you told my past self i was going to be spending $4k on a bike id say you were high.

Haha, know the feeling. I started this whole process thinking I was doing a budget build for $1500 ($500 frame, $500 groupset, $200 wheelset, $300 accessories). Instead, my budget for two bikes got me only one.

FHS

Yeah, the thought of plopping down $4k + on a bike really put me off. Funny, somehow spending that much piece by piece over several months didn't feel as ridiculous.

Nickk2000

Now my ass is thinking of buying a power meter.

FHS

It'll either completely change, or completely affirm the way you ride. Highly recommended if you are goal oriented.

1Sigma

Now my ass is thinking of buying a power meter.

Wellll.....I ended up buying 2 Magene P325 CS and selling one.
In the end, got a dual crank power meter for under $200.

Just saying.  What's an extra $200 on top of $4000?