Author Topic: Carbonda FM 1003 / Flybike FM 1266 180mm "Super Enduro"  (Read 27951 times)

zooky

Re: Carbonda FM 1003 / Flybike FM 1266 180mm "Super Enduro"
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2022, 06:25:05 PM »
It looks great! Thank you for taking the plunge and buying first.

It looks like the linkage has a large metal piece where shock meets the rear, does it look like that that piece could hit the frame hard?

Also, remember to tighten all the linkage to spec, they are often not all the way tight from carbonda. I just had to replace a linkage screw on my FM936 since I never tightened it all the way.

Those bushings should work I think.

I don't have a shock on it at the moment. Right now as is (the way it came shipped with the plastic thing) it does hit the frame.  Once I have the shock installed I will definitely test it out properly.

Thanks for the reminder about the tightening!  Will do this when I install shock.  Should I be adding a little bit of grease too?

Have now ordered 8x15mm bushings  ;D

Fat Larry

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2022, 07:27:10 PM »
Great looking frame. Keen to see how these come out.

casual_build

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2022, 10:56:04 AM »
I don't have a shock on it at the moment. Right now as is (the way it came shipped with the plastic thing) it does hit the frame.  Once I have the shock installed I will definitely test it out properly.

Thanks for the reminder about the tightening!  Will do this when I install shock.  Should I be adding a little bit of grease too?

Have now ordered 8x15mm bushings  ;D

My FM936 came with the bearings greased but it couldn't hurt. Hope the bushings fit!

zooky

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2022, 09:02:03 PM »
Hopefully not much longer!  Just waiting on my brakes and drive train parts to be delivered.

zooky

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2022, 11:06:11 PM »
Bike has been built  ;D  Heavier than i thought it would be (maybe because im so used to HT 27.5")

Will post up some pics & specs soon.

zooky

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2022, 09:12:42 PM »
Here it is  :D

It has been raining a lot in Syd AUS, so I haven't been able to take it out on the trails yet  :( Hopefully in the next week or two

Specs/Parts

- Forks: RockShox Lyrik 180mm
- Shock: RochShox Super Deluxe Ultimate with MegNeg Upgrade
- Drive Train: SLX M7100 Groupset
- Brakes: M7120 4 Pot with Ice Pads
- Rotors: Shimano SLX  RT-66 - F 220m / R 203mm
- Wheels: Dabomb Advance 29"
- Stem: Deity Cavity Stem
- Seat Post Clamp: Nukeproof
- Grips: Jetblack Rivet
- Bar: PRO FRS - 800mm - 40mm Rise
- Pedals: CrankBrothers
- Dropper: OneUP 120mm Travel
- Tyres: R DHR II 29x2.6" / F DHF 29x2.6"
- Valve: Dert Premium Tubeless Valve
- Saddle: WTB Volt Cromoly
- Bash Guard: OneUp Chain & Bash Guide

Rough weight is 15KG
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 09:38:04 PM by zooky »

zooky

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2022, 10:12:45 PM »
1st Ride Review

Climbing - Climbs HEAPS better than my 2016 275 HT. Minimal to no pedal bob. Things that I could not do before I am able to do with ease now. :D  So far cannot fault climbing.

Descending - Amazing! Did not have any sketchy moments thinking I was going OTB etc. Im still getting use to newer geometry so I have to remember no need to lean back as much as I had to on my old Hard Tail (shorts scrapped the back wheel a few times)
Can pretty much point the bike down at any line and it just eats everything up

Still need to tweak the Fork & Shock a little, but I think im almost there.

Note: The standard free colour the bike comes with does pick up/show oil, fingerprint marks etc.  So, if anyone was considering this frame, prob better to get a custom paint job

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2022, 11:49:09 PM »
1st Ride Review

Climbing - Climbs HEAPS better than my 2016 275 HT. Minimal to no pedal bob. Things that I could not do before I am able to do with ease now. :D  So far cannot fault climbing.

Descending - Amazing! Did not have any sketchy moments thinking I was going OTB etc. Im still getting use to newer geometry so I have to remember no need to lean back as much as I had to on my old Hard Tail (shorts scrapped the back wheel a few times)
Can pretty much point the bike down at any line and it just eats everything up

Still need to tweak the Fork & Shock a little, but I think im almost there.

Note: The standard free colour the bike comes with does pick up/show oil, fingerprint marks etc.  So, if anyone was considering this frame, prob better to get a custom paint job

Yeah, I’ve been pretty underwhelmed with the standard matte black paint on my FM1002. It chips, scratches and shows any kind of surface contamination way too easily. Custom painting is not necessarily perfect either but I suspect it’s a lot thicker and more resilient.

casual_build

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2022, 04:06:35 PM »
This frame is available in size large now!

Adam said it's about ~3.5kg and 1180 USD

I went with the FM1002 instead.

Freda

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2022, 12:48:09 PM »
Is this even available anymore? It is not on carbonda or flybike site anymore..

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2022, 01:11:59 PM »

That’s a good question. This link is still up: http://www.carbonda.com/news/136.html

I can’t think of why it would be discontinued but it would be good to confirm status…

casual_build

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2022, 01:43:04 PM »

This design wasn't scrapped, Carbonda claims a lot of R&D went into making the frame. If it doesn't become publicly available it would be because another company bought exclusive rights to the frame.

I bet they are just working out the layup for XL sizes and it will be on the website soon.

This is the frame I wanted before I reluctantly went for a FM1002 instead. Frankly, I couldn't justify getting a bike that goes this hard. I'm sure it climbs well and destroys technical downhill, but it's absolutely overkill for almost everything I ride.

I would love to see more builds/reviews of this frame.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 05:03:51 PM by casual_build »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2022, 03:29:30 PM »
Here it is  :D

Any updates, Zooky? I’m very curious to hear how it’s been riding…and in particular, how well it performs as an all-around daily driver bike. Rear end stiffness, pedaling efficiency, how well it jumps and wheelies….

zooky

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2022, 07:20:43 PM »
Hey All!

So far the frame has been AMAZIING!  It is my first FS bike so its a little hard for me to compare to anything else.  The more I ride, the more and more I love it and definitely the hard/faster you go it really shines.

As noted above in my previous post, the standard black paint is not very good.  It is holding up just fine but I think a custom/additional paint job would prob be better.

Also note - there is no hole near/around bottom bracket so if you wash your bike a lot water builds up until you take the BB out and let it drain

If anyone needs specifics let us know

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2022, 08:43:32 PM »
Hey All!

So far the frame has been AMAZIING!  It is my first FS bike so its a little hard for me to compare to anything else.  The more I ride, the more and more I love it and definitely the hard/faster you go it really shines.

As noted above in my previous post, the standard black paint is not very good.  It is holding up just fine but I think a custom/additional paint job would prob be better.

Also note - there is no hole near/around bottom bracket so if you wash your bike a lot water builds up until you take the BB out and let it drain

If anyone needs specifics let us know

There’s a somewhat similar issue with the FM1002 (and I assume 1001) where if you rinse off the bike, you have to tilt it really far both forward and backward to drain water out of the linkage and frame from the pivot points. I wonder if it’s possible to get water out of the FM1003 the same way or the only option really is to remove the BB (which is obviously not great).