Author Topic: Any good carbon rim you guys would recommend?  (Read 3006 times)

adroitrider

Re: Any good carbon rim you guys would recommend?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2021, 10:43:19 AM »
Just ordered the newest LightBicycle AM930s wheel set with DT240 exp and Sapim CX Ray spokes. They have a Black Friday deal going which is 15% off and they threw in a hat and two pairs of socks.

$1307 shipped.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/AM930S-asymmetric-rim-S-Flow-profile-carbon-29-inch-carbon-rims-mtb.html

My older LB wheel set has been bomb proof but I had it built locally. Hoping the build quality and spike tension is good.

carbonazza

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2021, 10:54:54 AM »
...Hoping the build quality and spike tension is good...

No worries. They are good.
I stopped building wheels since I order their wheelsets.

At the beginning, I was leveling the tensions of the spokes, to have them all equal by ear(getting them a very little out of true usually)
But I even stopped that.

1Sigma

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2021, 02:48:46 PM »
Short list of rim/wheel manufacturers you can't go wrong with (not exhaustive, just ones the come to mind):
- Lightbicycle
- Farsports
- Elite Wheels
- Winspace (who also make frames)
- BTLOS

How to purchase, in order of preference:
1) Direct from the companies website is best for service and support
2) Off their AliX storefront would be second - sometimes you can asave a few bucks buying from here
3) 3rd party resellers on AliX - sometimes you  can save a bit more, but support will be nonexistent and you might get unlucky with a shady vendor

Bonus method: buy factory direct from manufacturer or on Alibaba.  You'll get the best price, but you'll probably need to buy at least 5 sets (which you can share with your new friends on Chinertown  ;D )

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:52:52 AM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average

theirishrider

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2021, 07:33:24 AM »
Short list of rim/wheel manufacturers you can't go wrong with (not exhaustive, just ones the come to mind):
- Lightbicycle
- Farsports
- Elite Wheels
- Winspace (who also make frames)

Add BTLOS to this. I love my BTLOS wheels, good website and great customer service. Shipped perfectly packages and well built.

1Sigma

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 08:54:18 AM »
Add BTLOS to this. I love my BTLOS wheels, good website and great customer service. Shipped perfectly packages and well built.

Nice.  I have not heard of them before this thread.  Always good to have more options
Better than average - Extra Average