Author Topic: cybrsrce AM831 build  (Read 15278 times)

cybrsrce

cybrsrce AM831 build
« on: October 08, 2021, 09:54:33 PM »
Frame: AM831 Medium
Fork: Rockshox Zeb Ultimate 160mm
Headset: Cane Creek Helllbender 70 IS42/52
Stem: e*thirteen Plus 35 40mm
Handlebar: 800mm OneUp Components Carbon Bar 35mm rise 
Grips: Diety Knuckleduster
Brakes: Shimano XT BL-M8100 levers, BR-M8120 4-piston calipers F/R
Rotors: Shimano XTR SM-RT99 203mm F 180mm R
Drivetrain: SRAM GX Eagle AXS
Bottom Bracket: RWC Stainless BB92 DUB
Crankset: SRAM GX Eagle DUB Lunar 165mm
Chainring: absoluteBlack 30T OVAL Boost for SRAM 3mm
Chain: SRAM XX1 Eagle Black
Cassette: SRAM GX Eagle 10-50T
Shock: Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate 210x55mm w/MegNeg
Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb AXS 170mm
Saddle: Ergon SM Pro Ti
Pedals: OneUp Components AL pedals
Wheels: 29" Sun Ringle Duroc 40 with DT Swiss 350 CL hubs - torque caps and 54t ratchet
Tires Maxxis Assegai EXO+ 2.6 F / Maxxis Dissector EXO+ 2.4 R tubeless

Other bits and bobs:
EDC Tool to be threaded into the Zeb
RWC needle bearing shock mount hardware just because
Cane Creek AL crank preload
Barfly 4 computer mount
Lizard Skins Carbon Leather downtube protector
Dyedbro EWS Mountains frame protection
Rockshox Maxle (rear)
Wolftooth seat clamp
MRP XCg V2 Bash Guard 32T ISCG-05
VHS 2.0 Slapper Chainstay Protector
Some plugs for all the frame holes I don't need

I think that is all the things?  Bars, grips, brakes, saddle, rotors, pedals, wheels, and tires are coming over from the bike this is replacing.
Already ran into a problem with the seatpost as there is carbon fiber and/or resin bulging at a join.  I'm going to have to use a reamer to open it up as I need another 30mm post depth.
Still waiting on the MegNeg but I have everything else on hand, should be a quick build.
Build starts after a ride tomorrow morning!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 12:08:41 PM by cybrsrce »

scourge

Re: cybrsrce AM831 build
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 07:44:20 PM »
Can't wait to see it.

darius72

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 04:17:00 PM »
Expected weight? In my build in progress I should end around 13.0 kg

cybrsrce

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 06:50:07 PM »
Expected weight? In my build in progress I should end around 13.0 kg

If it is under 15kg I would be very surprised.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 09:34:50 PM »
In the other thread someone is at 12.2 kg... With this build I would expect less. It's a heck of a nice build for any frame. I'll have to weigh mine but it feels pretty light picking it up and just missing a couple things like pedals and rotors/adapters

cybrsrce

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 10:27:31 PM »
I'll post some of the build pictures tomorrow.  I'm waiting on a couple banjo connectors for the brake cables before I move them over.

Without the brakes, dropper controller, shift controller, batteries, and chain it is already 13.6 kg. 

cybrsrce

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 12:16:03 PM »
First things -
Wolftooth seat clamp, seat post, top tube protector (man I did a terrible job), chainstay protector, and downtube protector:

Pressed in the bearings - this frame could definitely use a facing, I have some clicking that I need to deal with before riding.

This is probably totally unnecessary but I thought it was neat.  Cane Creek aluminum preload for SRAM DUB cranks - directions says to green locktite or super glue it to the spindle.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 12:23:24 PM by cybrsrce »

cybrsrce

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 12:37:17 PM »
A blurry shot of the crankset with the preload and oval chainring.

Crankset on the bike with the bash guard installed.

Running the brake cable was kind of a pain in the ass.  Magnetic feeder tool kept getting hung up in the rear triangle outlet and the transition angle isn't great.  Didn't bust up the housing too much though.

cybrsrce

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 12:54:08 PM »
Hanging the derailleur and checking tire clearance and Maxle length.  It fits just about perfect.

Pedals, saddle, and dry fit of the fork.  (200x57 shock as a stand-in since I haven't done the damper swap.)

Tube cut and EDC installed.

cybrsrce

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 09:25:19 PM »
Finished with the seat tube bore, that was a chore.  Reamer tool worked great except it was about 20mm too short so I had to remove the handle and rig up a big wrench and a 3/4in socket with some metal to shim it from slipping.  Took me about 3 hours but seat post can shimmy all the way down to the collar so mission accomplished.  Just a note, the 170mm Reverb AXS has about the same height of total exposed seat post as a 210mm OneUp v2.
All clear!

Proper height

Got the generic banjos for the calipers, they're aluminum and look pretty nice.  They have an integrated barb but the olive was really thin and hard to get over the braided hose.  I had to shave off some of the outer housing to get them on.  Seem to be good, at least no leaks.

Some dirty oil from the rear bleed, front was even darker.

Half ass cockpit shot, levers are just hand tight from bleeding.

Maffly

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 12:23:21 PM »
Nice looking bike!  Thanks for taking the time to post all of the pictures. Waiting on mine to ship. Ordered the whole xt build in the matte orange.  Had them switch to tubeless rims.  Almost went with the gray and seeing yours is making me regret not going in that direction! I’ll be modifying and changing over some parts as well. Got the charger 2.1 damper for the 160 Yari and some 8120 calipers for a start. I’ll post some pictures when it comes in

cybrsrce

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 06:37:17 PM »
Nice looking bike!  Thanks for taking the time to post all of the pictures. Waiting on mine to ship. Ordered the whole xt build in the matte orange.  Had them switch to tubeless rims.  Almost went with the gray and seeing yours is making me regret not going in that direction! I’ll be modifying and changing over some parts as well. Got the charger 2.1 damper for the 160 Yari and some 8120 calipers for a start. I’ll post some pictures when it comes in

Thanks, I was looking for a 2020 Hightower frame in this gray but I could only find full bikes with an awful mix of components - and crazy prices. 

I assume that is a new Yari with the complete bike build? I have a 2021 Yari and the new MC damper feels pretty close to an older Lyrik.  Just in case you wanted to give it a few rides to see if the charger is necessary.  I have a 130mm on a 29+ hardtail though and it doesn't see a lot of super chunky terrain, but it is still pretty plush.  XT 4-piston brakes are my favorite, durable and powerful, that is definitely a worthwhile upgrade. 

Quick setup ride and this frame is really nice, you're going to enjoy it. 

cybrsrce

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 07:00:04 PM »
Buttoning up the brakes I found that I needed to add two washers to clear the heat fins on the front rotor.  I don't know if not being black is going to bother me or not, easy to rectify I guess.

Rear fits perfectly.

Could have made the hoses a bit shorter but otherwise happy with this setup.  Set the brake levers, controllers, and computer mount.

Went the extra mile and did the full squish chain measurement and sagged b screw adjustment.  New SRAM tool is stupid simple.

"You guys go ahead, I have to update the firmware on my seatpost..."
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 07:04:29 PM by cybrsrce »

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 11:19:00 PM »
The rear brake fits a 180mm rotor? Is the Zeb a 180mm as well? I'm still waiting on adapters and CL lock rings for my hubs so haven't tried fitting anything yet. Was originally going to go with 203mm CL rotors but didn't notice they were thicker than normal and not sure they will work with the Shimano 4 pot brakes. I also have some 180mm 6 bolt and some adapters to run on CL and then wouldn't need the adapters to run 203. Either way I'm still waiting on CL lock rings that got used on another wheelset at some point.

Do you plan on sticking with 180 or think you may go bigger? I've never ran bigger than 180 but at times have felt like they would be nice especially in the front. If the brakes have good modulation is there any down side other than weight?

Also, I finally weighed mine and it's around 12.9 kg. From lifting it up I thought it was lighter and can see how it could get to 15 pretty easy with some more heavy duty parts. I was hoping for a final weight about where I am now but that's not going to happen, though I went with value and didn't pay much attention to weight so can't complain. My large frame was 2435g which isn't all that much heavier than more XC FS frames.

Let us know what you think once you start getting more time on it! Would also be curious to hear what your coming from.

Sorry for rambling so much in your thread... :o

Maffly

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 12:22:37 AM »
Thanks man. Already ordered the Charger. Other bike has a Fox factory 36 with the grip2 so I wanted more of an even playing field going between the two bikes. Pretty long chunky descents around here. 8120s came today. So did Nuke Proof chain stay protector. Now if only the bike would arrive!  Keep posting, would love to hear ride reports.