Author Topic: cybrsrce AM831 build  (Read 17047 times)

cybrsrce

Re: cybrsrce AM831 build
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2021, 04:12:35 PM »
Thanks for the new information and updates on progress. Keeping my fingers crossed that my frame will be tight but if not I have a great blueprint for a fix. Can get spacers 3D printed out of carbon filament. How do you think that very hard but perhaps somewhat brittle material would work for this application?

Can't be any worse than standard pla. I might grab a spool to try it out, until then I'm going to print some spares just in case they disintegrate on the trail.

neuesten

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2021, 12:48:27 PM »
hi..can the frame handle some drops? like two feet perhaps...

cybrsrce

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2021, 02:24:47 PM »
hi..can the frame handle some drops? like two feet perhaps...

I've had it off of a 5 foot drop to flat-ish and it handled it well.

Maffly

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2021, 02:58:58 PM »
You getting that bad boy dialed in?  How are you feeling about the ride quality at this point? 

alexartzwy

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2021, 03:10:30 PM »
So maybe Im out of the loop, but why did you have to chisel out the area for the seatpost?

cybrsrce

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2021, 03:52:29 PM »
You getting that bad boy dialed in?  How are you feeling about the ride quality at this point?

It is getting better but not there yet, this weekend I will be playing with the pressure on the trail before using the ShockWiz.  It should be pretty plush but front and rear are really firm and poppy.  It is great for the one flow trail around me that we never ride...  Can't blame the frame for anything yet - it pedals well, no riding wheelies up steep tech, I can start in the 50T without laying on the bars, anti-squat is amazing (may be because of the firm shock).

cybrsrce

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2021, 04:00:27 PM »
So maybe Im out of the loop, but why did you have to chisel out the area for the seatpost?

More insertion depth for the dropper, it was blocked by a chunk of carbon and resin.

scourge

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2021, 11:52:49 AM »
Aside from the printed washers, did any of washers help reduce the flexing? Like any of the store bought ones? Unfortunately, I don't have access to a 3D printer.

Mine doesn't flex as bad as the first video. It actually looks more like the second. But maybe putting shims in it would make it even stiffer. I would post a video of my flex but I'm not sure how to do that. Maybe I'll try tomorrow when I'm not working.

Thanks for the work you guys have done on resolving this issue.

cybrsrce

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2021, 02:06:05 PM »
I bought some cheap nylon ones. Any kind of plastic that you can cut and layer should work.  The printed ones work well enough and they haven't deteriorated after a few rides.  I'm going to see if I can get any stainless in the same sizes or have them made.  I'm told that Eddy says that they made changes to the layup to fix the issue, I don't know if that means new triangles by request.

deucelee

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2021, 09:19:36 PM »
is it just one bolt that you added the washers to? if yes, which bolt is it again? can you show via picture? thx

cybrsrce

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2021, 09:44:00 PM »
is it just one bolt that you added the washers to? if yes, which bolt is it again? can you show via picture? thx

It is this one, both sides.

Maffly

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2021, 09:24:25 AM »
Have you gotten the bike to a place that you feel good about?  I am putting mine together now. The rear end is horribly sloppy despite Eddy assuring me it was solid. I would not ride this thing to the store much less on any trail. Flex at least as bad as your initial video, probably worse. Is your conclusion that the two bolts on the lower swing arm that you have pictured are just too long, not allowing for a solid connection to the bearings?  Are you satisfied with your spacer solution?  Do you feel both the inner and outer spacers are impactful or is one of them really the critical one?  Would the bolts being cut by 2 or 3mm be the optimal fix?  Thanks again for posting all that you have, I would be feeling 10 times worse right now if you hadn’t taken the time to outline your process in detail.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2021, 12:13:05 PM »
I really want to get in on the group buy soon but only if I get some independent confirmation from someone who’s received a revised frame/rear triangle that this issue has been fully resolved in new frames that will go out for the buy. Otherwise I’ll wait and/or buy a different frame for my winter build.

Maffly

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2021, 12:32:06 PM »
I just got my frame. Assured by Eddy that the rear triangle was not an issue. Even asked him to double check. The rear triangle is so sloppy it’s a joke. Not even close to okay. I would look elsewhere. Unless you love the thrill of the gamble or the challenge of an engineering project.  Frame looks badass though!  Might end up being good if I can figure it out.

Maffly

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2021, 04:02:26 PM »
Well, after spending a good deal more time with this and consulting with a mechanical engineer, I believe that the frame has a fundamental design flaw. Because the upper link bearings of the rear triangle are pressed in from the inside, you are left with two choices and neither of them are good. The problem is that the carbon rear triangle has to rotate a bit around the bolts on the upper link. If the bolts put pressure on the carbon of the rear triangle and cinch it in to the bearings, the rear end is very solid.  The problem is that now you have the bolts rubbing the carbon of the rear triangle and hindering free movement. The suspension gets very stiff. If you don’t cinch the carbon you are left with only the strength that the bearings being pressed into the carbon have, not nearly solid enough. Both options will also result in unacceptable wear issues quickly.

Interestingly, if the bearings had been pressed in from the outside I think all issues would be resolved.
Someone please tell me how I am wrong, would love to make this work but see no way it happens.