Author Topic: Velobuild GF-002  (Read 18642 times)

hazzer19

Re: Velobuild GF-002
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2022, 10:44:23 AM »
Looks awesome! Nice choice of tape color

hazzer19

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2022, 10:16:12 AM »
Anyone else with a GF-002 that wants to share their build for some added inspiration or feedback?

mwh0169

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2022, 01:00:26 PM »
Finished the build.

Sram etap 1x setup 42t by 10-44t.
Cable routing was straightforward, went with the integrated stem and it was a breeze.
Really happy with the paint and finish work. Frame quality beat expectation.

Nice build. Please keep us updated with your ride experience of this bike.

Pinball72

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2022, 09:16:13 AM »
Finished the build.

Sram etap 1x setup 42t by 10-44t.
Cable routing was straightforward, went with the integrated stem and it was a breeze.
Really happy with the paint and finish work. Frame quality beat expectation.

Hi PeteyPablo

Sorry to jump on your thread, newbie here :)

Ive had my GF-002 now for some 9 months but ive got terrible play in the headset. Did you have any issues with yours? Mine seems to be out by a couple of mm's

Your help would be most appreciated :)

PeteyPablo

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2022, 07:24:21 AM »
Hi PeteyPablo

Sorry to jump on your thread, newbie here :)

Ive had my GF-002 now for some 9 months but ive got terrible play in the headset. Did you have any issues with yours? Mine seems to be out by a couple of mm's

Your help would be most appreciated :)

There’s a section in the road bike forum around this issue. I’ve been lucky and haven’t had this issue yet, but I’d check out the thread “ VeloBuild Headset Play Issue Using Separate Stem/Handlebar: Resolved” and try this. It sounds like getting a c clip without the raised nipples fixed it for some while others have just filed the nipples down on their c clip. Hope that helps
http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3683.0.html

hazzer19

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2022, 12:22:58 PM »
Just finished up building my new GF-002 frame. Almost all parts except for the bars/stem were transferred over from my GF-001.

Aside from a few stumbling blocks that were on me, the build was smooth. Frame and separate bar/stem combo from VB have been great and I'm happy with everything so far.

Learnings:

1. No cabling exposed with separate VB bar/stem: This bar/stem combo has fully integrated cabling with no exposed cabling at all (unless you don't want internal cabling and route on the outside of the bars). Unlike the integrated bars where the cables/wires poke out under the stem before going down the fork. This is only an issue if you're running an external Di2 junction box like I am as you normally place it under the stem where you have access to the wires being exposed, can connect the junction box and then the wires go down the fork. This is how I have my VB-R-168 set up.

Considered getting an internal junction box to mount to the opening in the top of the downtube, however I wasn't able to source one easily (aka I was too cheap and didn't find a deal I liked, plus needed another junction and extra wire). Someone suggested I just drill a hole in the stem and that's what I did! Solution worked perfectly and I don't have any concerns with the integrity of the stem provided how small the hole is and how thick the carbon in that area is. Photo below.

2. Smallest chainring for the GF-002 is 46T: I tried mounting my regular compact Shimano 2x crankset 50/34 and the small chainring was pressed hard against the chainstay with no room to move. Not sure if my choice of BB made a difference but I have a Wheels Manufacturing BB386EVO. I ended up getting some 24mm spacers for the crankset shaft to push out the crank and 3mm worth of spacers did the trick. Found out after from VB about the 46T chainring minimum.

A few things I appreciate having that my GF-001 didn't are:

- Fender eyelets in the fork
- Additional bottle/bag mounts on the side of the fork and under the downtube
- Round seatpost

Really happy with how the paint job turned out. I wasn't sure about their ability to blend the two colors but they did a good job with the transition. Decals were made locally and splatter is just some left over plasti-dip splattered by moi.

The newly revised slightly taller C ring for the headset seems to be making a difference to prevent the play issue some were experiencing with the separate bar/stem option. Overall happy with how it turned out.

patliean1

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2022, 01:58:48 PM »
Looking gooooooood!

maturin

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2022, 05:32:18 AM »
Hi y'all,

I was wondering whether there are already some reports on the robustness or longevity of the GF 002 frame?

Currently I am undecided whether to go with the "classic" carbonda 696 or the somewhat more modern GF 002.
looking at the connection of seat stays to seat tube on the 002, it looks kind of flimsy. Any opintions on how this might hold up?

Cheers!

Irideslowly

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2022, 06:50:51 AM »
The carbonda quality is no doubt better than velobuild kd.

hazzer19

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2022, 04:19:50 PM »
The carbonda quality is no doubt better than velobuild kd.

Why is there no doubt about this?

Irideslowly

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2022, 06:59:46 PM »
Velobuild QC is lackluster to say the least.

coffeebreak

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2022, 11:31:31 AM »
Just finished up building my new GF-002 frame. Almost all parts except for the bars/stem were transferred over from my GF-001.

2. Smallest chainring for the GF-002 is 46T: I tried mounting my regular compact Shimano 2x crankset 50/34 and the small chainring was pressed hard against the chainstay with no room to move. Not sure if my choice of BB made a difference but I have a Wheels Manufacturing BB386EVO. I ended up getting some 24mm spacers for the crankset shaft to push out the crank and 3mm worth of spacers did the trick. Found out after from VB about the 46T chainring minimum.

Fantastic looking bike! I just have a question regarding the quote above. What BB are you running?
What perplexes me is that 34t ring rubs against the frame but 46t does not. Shouldn't a smaller ring have more clearance than a larger one when it is closest to BB/chainstays?

hazzer19

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2022, 03:56:45 PM »
Fantastic looking bike! I just have a question regarding the quote above. What BB are you running?
What perplexes me is that 34t ring rubs against the frame but 46t does not. Shouldn't a smaller ring have more clearance than a larger one when it is closest to BB/chainstays?

Thanks! I'm using a Wheels Manufacturing internally threaded pressfit BB. Haven't thought much about the logic of the statement above in truth, just passed on what VB mentioned. May switch out the BB instead of replacing the bearings and can report back if it makes a difference.

coffeebreak

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2022, 10:28:29 AM »

Thanks! I'm using a Wheels Manufacturing internally threaded pressfit BB.

I am contemplating the BB choice. Pressfit BB is what is stopping me from pulling the trigger on this v/s Carbonda 707 which comes with threaded, old school BB. I didn't see anyone mention VB's tolerances being sloppy (or perfect for that matter) but overall sentiment my own experience with PF BB is somewhat off putting.
To further make matters worse, I like GF-002's geometry over 707. I guess you can't have everything.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2022, 04:55:53 PM »
Just finished up building my new GF-002 frame.

Those are my colors... I love it.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]