Author Topic: Velobuild GF-002  (Read 19132 times)

Serge_K

Re: Velobuild GF-002
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2023, 02:06:00 AM »
Confirmed that the two small parts are cable stops/guides for front derailleur. But I wasn't able to utilize them and received this answer "You can use either one" from Chris for my detailed questions and back and forth over the email. None of those nozzles fit tightly into the hole for cable.
Decided not to use those and hack something else to fit. From the local hardware store I bought 3 parts.

1. A rubber grommet.
2. A small flanged spacer
3. A slightly bigger flanged spacer than above.

The spacers are sized such that the smaller one inserts into bigger one and since both of them are flanged, my idea was to sandwich frame material between the two.
It worked perfectly.

Basically the larger spacer went into the hole from inside the frame with little circus and then I inserted the smaller one along with the rubber grommer into the bigger one which was now sticking out from the frame.

This created a nice tight guide for the cable and also closed any gap around the spacers.

Hi, would you mind posting a couple of pictures? I'm unsure what you did, but I have the same problem, and Chris has replied something cryptic when I asked him. Thanks!

« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2023, 03:16:34 PM »
Hi all - We just posted an updated regarding a newly designed c ring here: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4183.msg46386.html#msg46386

Please check it out!

bichler.bua

« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2023, 09:44:54 AM »
Wanted to share my Velobuild GF-002 build and experiences with the community.

Ordered the frameset in winter, during cross season as you can tell, asked for a custom paintjob on the fork.
As noted in quite a few comments, the paint job is okay but not spectacular. In fact I pointed out many times to Chris, that I want the fork to appear red from the front – with the result being a clearly visible yellow-red when looking at the bike from the front. Considering the 50US$ for the paintjob, this is okay – but it just is not a perfect result that I originally was looking for.

Frameset was missing some hardware, after discussing with Chris they sent the hardware but without instruction – so I am not clear what the hardware is for. Since my final setup is 1 x electrical I did not have to bother, but this is inline with the entire Velobuild experience (I already own a VB-R-099).

Frameset was shipped with the v2 compression C ring and like I commented here https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3499.msg44919.html#msg44919, this left me with a huge gap between top cap and steerer tube. No comment from Chris or Velobuild and since I already lost confidence in the Velobuild stem (opted for the separate stem and bar due to flexibility for bar flare) I went for my own construction as described here https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3499.msg45210.html#msg45210: Bought a FSA SMR stem and an AliExpress spacer set and with some tools and jigs created an adapter from C ring v2 to the FSA spacer set. Cut the fork to length, assembly and integrated Di2, hydraulic cable routing worked without an issue. No headset play since then.

Not many rides, yet, but I am very positive, so far: The 130mm stem gives me a sporty geometry, but not too aggressive. Drop from saddle to bar is good enough for endurance rides without being too relaxed. Agile steering behavior without being nervous, very stiff bottom bracket area but the long seatpost (1.95m height, 96cm inseam, 90kg) and the 45mm tires just create enough compliance.

Overall a frame I can recommend since I believe it can be tuned quite a lot with different stem options. My Velobuild verdict also remains the same: nice frames at a very good price point, just do not expect perfection in support and be prepared and skilled enough for assembly and fixing issues. Having users figuring out the compression C ring version, multiple tolerances on various frames and the separate stem design is annoying – even if there’s progress I can not consider this a fix that works for the mass market out there.

• Velobuild GF-002 size XL
  • DT Swiss G 1800 spline 650b DB 25 wheels, Ratchet LN freehub
  • Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H 45-584, Butyl tubes
  • FSA SMR stem 130mm
  • Zipp Service Course SL-70 XPLR bar 420mm
  • Velobuild seatpost
  • Selle Italia SLR team edition flow Ti-rail
  • Shimano ST-R785 Di2, hydraulic brifters
  • Shimano GRX RD-RX815 rear derailleur
  • SRAM Rival PG-1130 11-36, 11-speed cassette
  • Easton EC90SL crank 175mm, Garbaruk 42T chainring
  • ZTTO BB386 PF30 ceramic bearing bottom bracket
  • Shimano PD-ES600 SPD pedal
  • KMC X11SL chain
  • ZRACE XG flat mount disc brake
  • Shimano SM-RT64 brake disc 160mm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 09:51:02 AM by bichler.bua »

jcr

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2023, 10:38:04 PM »
Do people recommend getting their integrated bar and stem or get the two piece or none of the above ?

Serge_K

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2023, 06:34:46 AM »
Do people recommend getting their integrated bar and stem or get the two piece or none of the above ?

It is my belief that handlebars are useful on a bike. I got bar and stem combo from them, with flared handlebars. I regret getting flared bars. On sketchy descents I'm braking, I don't care about the extra leverage of the drops. But on the road the flared drops feel painfully slow. Other than that the combo works great. I'm no sprinter but I'm over 80kg and everything feels stiff. I've had other carbon bars on other bikes, and alu ones, I can't tell the difference. So I'd say they're perfectly adequate.

multipower1

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2024, 08:51:04 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, currently working on a built of the Velobuild GF-002.

I'm having extrem issues routing the Di2 cable (EW-SD50) through the right chainstay. The plug off the cable just doesn't fit through the narrowest part. A shifting housing can be pushed through with force. I've tried all the special tools for routing, but the plug just won't fit.

Anybody has experienced similar issues with the GF-002?

Additionally, my frame came without the two "doors" in the down tube. Under the bottom bracket and next to head tube. Chris said they have been doing this since two years, but all the pictures I see of Gf-002 builts have those.

Anybody also received a frame without the doors? I'm wondering if this particular frame I received is just a lemon.

Thanks, appreciate any help.

coffeebreak

« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2024, 11:16:06 AM »
Additionally, my frame came without the two "doors" in the down tube. Under the bottom bracket and next to head tube. Chris said they have been doing this since two years, but all the pictures I see of Gf-002 builts have those.

Anybody also received a frame without the doors? I'm wondering if this particular frame I received is just a lemon.

Welcome to the forum. I have this frame. Is there a rubber grommet in the chain stay where cable exits? Mine has one. Try removing that.

I'm trying to picture the doors you mention. What would they be needed for? My GF002 did not come with any doors in those areas.

multipower1

« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2024, 12:56:58 PM »
No rubber grommet, the bottleneck is rather in the middle of the chainstay at the narrowest part. Its a hard stop, like carbon or metall, but not rubber.

As for the doors, I think they'd be used for access to the tubes for cable routing etc. Not a deal breaker, but was wondering why there are two versions of the GF-002. On the shop website they are displayed on all the pictures.

coffeebreak

« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2024, 01:11:50 PM »
I see now what you mean. In case you haven't, try routing it with the frame upside down.

multipower1

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2024, 10:07:38 AM »
I ended up inspecting the frame with an endoscope and I could clearly see the bottleneck and where the EW-SD50 plug was stuck. Impossible to get through there.

Ended up cutting the cable, pulling it through and then soldering it together. Not the most elegant solution, but it works (for now).

diefobo

« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2024, 12:04:18 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, currently working on a built of the Velobuild GF-002.

I'm having extrem issues routing the Di2 cable (EW-SD50) through the right chainstay. The plug off the cable just doesn't fit through the narrowest part. A shifting housing can be pushed through with force. I've tried all the special tools for routing, but the plug just won't fit.

Anybody has experienced similar issues with the GF-002?

me too, no doors, I was informed by Chris after placing the order.......I wish to use the one next to the head tube for the rear brake compressionless cable housing...end up fitting hydro disk brake instead of mec/hydro.

Greenred

« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2024, 12:02:59 PM »

Yes, I added 3 or 4 plastic BB spacers on the drive side and that did the trick. Initially I added one less because the small ring wasn't rubbing but didn't take into account flex when under load so remember to add an extra one if possible.

@hazzer19 and others: would you expect spacers also being needed for a 46/30 chainring combo on this frame? Interestingly, velobuild said that this setup would need a longer front derailleur (?)

diefobo

« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2024, 12:50:05 PM »
@hazzer19 and others: would you expect spacers also being needed for a 46/30 chainring combo on this frame? Interestingly, velobuild said that this setup would need a longer front derailleur (?)

Yes, with 46/30 you'll need a longer front derallieur hanger otherwise you'll not be able to set the derallieur correctly. I just realized this 2 days ago when I placed my 46/30 cranckset....Chris is sending me the longer derallieur hanger, waiting for it.

Greenred

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2024, 01:58:32 PM »
Yes, with 46/30 you'll need a longer front derallieur hanger otherwise you'll not be able to set the derallieur correctly. I just realized this 2 days ago when I placed my 46/30 cranckset....Chris is sending me the longer derallieur hanger, waiting for it.

This forum is unbelievable! Thank you, I'll ask for the same.
Btw I find it interesting that although this is the exact same frame design as Carbonda696, Spcycle SP-G20, Ican X-Gravel, only velobuild so far has told me that there could be a problem with the FD.

hazzer19

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2024, 02:59:41 AM »

I ended up having to use BB spacers on the drive side for mine. Found out the hard way and chewed up a bit of the BB area with the chain ring before spacers were installed. Ran 2x for a long time with the spacers and no issues, eventually and eneded up going 1x and love it so far.