Author Topic: VB-R-168 Build- A sceptic's experience  (Read 4623 times)

cscottride

Re: VB-R-168 Build- A sceptic's experience
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2022, 05:45:48 AM »
It is great now. I actually added more headset spacers to bring up the bars (as you can see in the pictures). I also have a 90mm stem so that shortens it up some. That is the main reason I switched from the integrated bars to the stem/bars combo. The reach was a little long for me.

MikeLowery22

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2022, 08:02:50 AM »
Good to hear, does it come with enough spacers or did you have to order more? How tall are you? I’m 5’11.5” with slightly longer arms and trying to decide between sizes.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2022, 08:31:17 AM »
Good to hear, does it come with enough spacers or did you have to order more? How tall are you? I’m 5’11.5” with slightly longer arms and trying to decide between sizes.

The frame is shipped with a cover that sits above the top bearing and 1x 5mm, 1x 10mm and 1x 20mm spacer. The top bearing cover is mandatory, and If all spacers are used the total stack is 43mm.

Hope this helps!

cscottride

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2022, 09:50:27 AM »

I think there are 5 spacers that come with the frame/fork/bar when you order the frame. When I ordered the separate stem/bar combo, I asked Chris from VB to include some more spacers (which he did). I am 6' 1" and have pretty long arms. However, I do not like a super aggressive position on the bike, so I opted for the added spacers. Hope that helps.

cscottride

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2022, 08:14:54 AM »
The weather is warming up and I have been able to get out for a few more rides. The bike is fast and handles great!

There is however a clicking coming from the BB area when I pedal. I am trying to determine what is causing this so I can get rid of it. It starts to get annoying on longer rides. Other than that, no issues :D.

I attached a current picture as well.

hazzer19

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2022, 10:48:08 AM »
The weather is warming up and I have been able to get out for a few more rides. The bike is fast and handles great!

There is however a clicking coming from the BB area when I pedal. I am trying to determine what is causing this so I can get rid of it. It starts to get annoying on longer rides. Other than that, no issues :D.

Looks great!

Did you run into any issues with the integrated stem and not being able to fully compress the headset with the moulded cap? If so what did you do?

cscottride

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2022, 11:42:21 AM »
Looks great!

Did you run into any issues with the integrated stem and not being able to fully compress the headset with the moulded cap? If so what did you do?

Thanks!

Interesting that you mention that. I thought I had it snug but after one of my rides there was some movement and noise so I loosened everything up and tried again. I was able to tighten the top cap enough to remove pretty much all of the movement/sound. I just stood in front of the bike pinching the front tire with my knees and wiggled the stem while tightening the top cap until it was no longer moving. It did require me to go fairly snug on that top cap screw but seems fine so far. That seemed to stay snug after my most recent ride as well.

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2022, 08:31:12 PM »

I've recently received a VB-168 and have a problem with the seatpost hardware. I've looked at your pictures and it seems correct, but can you tell me if there is any gap like mine has?

cscottride

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2022, 08:44:56 AM »
I've recently received a VB-168 and have a problem with the seatpost hardware. I've looked at your pictures and it seems correct, but can you tell me if there is any gap like mine has?

Have you tightened the saddle bolts to spec and there is still a gap? Could the metal piece have been bent slightly so it is not sitting in that groove properly? I looked through some pictures of mine and it doesn't appear that there is a gap there.

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2022, 05:57:50 PM »
Have you tightened the saddle bolts to spec and there is still a gap? Could the metal piece have been bent slightly so it is not sitting in that groove properly? I looked through some pictures of mine and it doesn't appear that there is a gap there.

Thanks for the confirmation. I finally got Chris to send me a replacement.