Author Topic: What have I done? Internal routing issue with FD?  (Read 768 times)

jungian

What have I done? Internal routing issue with FD?
« on: January 16, 2022, 06:19:21 PM »
Building up a VeloBuild 177 and having an issue when I turn my handle bars to the right tension on the front derailleur makes it shift into the larger cog. I also don't have enough tension to shift into the larger cog when trying to use the shift levers.

On an externally routed frame the outside cabling would normally take up the slack but how would I make this work internally while still having enough tension to shift?

J-S-Q

Re: What have I done? Internal routing issue with FD?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 04:45:56 AM »
It sounds like you've probably made the cable outer too short. You need to have a decent amount of slack within the down tube to allow your handlebars to turn without pulling on the cable.

I just built a Velobuild 099 which looks to have exactly the same front derailleur arrangement as the 177. See this post in my thread: https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3545.msg33599.html#msg33599
That's how I did mine and it shifts perfectly.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:49:56 AM by J-S-Q »

jungian

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 12:05:45 PM »
It sounds like you've probably made the cable outer too short. You need to have a decent amount of slack within the down tube to allow your handlebars to turn without pulling on the cable.

I just built a Velobuild 099 which looks to have exactly the same front derailleur arrangement as the 177. See this post in my thread: https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3545.msg33599.html#msg33599
That's how I did mine and it shifts perfectly.

Ah thank you I think my problem is I just used an inner cable housing instead of having both and inner and outer cable housing, and the inner housing isn't strong enough to keep tension. Now I need to figure out if I can run an outer housing with out removing the bottom bracket.

FHS

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 03:18:00 PM »
If you have an internal cable routing kit, you should be able to.