Author Topic: FS830 Enduro Frame - Stef Biggel’s build  (Read 9404 times)

FullCarbonAlchemist

Re: FS830 Enduro Frame - Stef Biggel’s build
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2022, 10:46:18 AM »
Has anybody yet ridden one of these bikes and put it through the paces after being built?

Other than Stef, only one that I’m aware of — the better part of a year ago. He’s the one who had his painted to look like a Pivot Firebird 29. Unfortunately he hasn’t posted in months and didn’t reply when I posted asking him some questions about it.

Stef Biggel

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2022, 04:57:45 PM »
I have build this evening the spacers for Link this evening.

The lower connections has the same space between the Bearings - 43,5mm
The upper connection has 31,85mm space between the Bearings

I took a stainless steel tube. 17mm diameter with 15mm drilling hole.

Now I can torque the new bearings (3802 2RS max) without damaging.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 10:32:04 AM by Stef Biggel »

Stef Biggel

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2022, 11:16:22 AM »
I rode the modified bike this afternoon. Pretty quick for my opinion. It feels super solid. Now that the bearings have been changed, the rear wheel feels better than before. And before that it was good.

I think it will be one of my last posts on the build. I may post a video if I make one worth posting.

In summary, I can say that I did not find any critical problem with the FS830 frame. Yes, the design of the link connectors is not great. But I had no problems with them. To be on the safe side, I changed the bearings and put the spacers between the bearings. It took me an hour per connection including production with the lathe. So I think summasumarum is ok for a frame with Pivot Firebird genes.

I'm having a lot of fun with it and looking forward to next month when I can test it for longer descents in the Alps.

As long as,
Stefan.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 09:53:19 AM by Stef Biggel »

endo.alley

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2022, 06:55:06 PM »
I rode the modified bike this afternoon. Pretty quick for my opinion. It feels super solid. Now that the bearings have been changed, the rear wheel feels better than before. And before that it was good.

I think it will be one of my last posts on the build. I may post a video if I make one worth posting.

In summary, I can say that I did not find any critical problem with the FS830 frame. Yes, the design of the link connectors is not great. But I had no problem with them. To be on the safe side, I changed the bearings and put the spacers between the bearings. It took me an hour per connection including production with the lathe. So I think summasumarum is ok for a frame with Pivot Firebird genes.

I'm having a lot of fun with it and looking forward to next month when I can test it for longer descents in the Alps.

As long as,
Stefan.

Thanks for updating your experience. Can you tell a little more about how you made your bearing spacer? It seems like it would have to make contact with the outer rings of the bearings while clearing the inner bearing race so that it can spin freely. Also, what did you use to upgrade the bearings? I am interested in getting one of these frames. But I wish to have all of the facts straight before I make a purchase.

Stef Biggel

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2022, 12:13:39 AM »
I have to explain it with a drawing, give me a little time for that please.

Stef Biggel

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2022, 09:46:36 AM »
Hello everyone
I made a really simple drawing from the link conection to show how the spacers are implemented.

Hopefully it will help the guys understand.

If not, do not hesitate to write.

Best wishes
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 10:24:39 AM by Stef Biggel »

endo.alley

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2022, 04:19:38 PM »
So, you cut a piece of (19 mm od) stainless steel tubing the proper length (43.5mm) and set it between the bearing races? That does not look particularly difficult. It requires removing one of the pressed in bearings to allow the tubing into the frame. Hold the tubing in place with an axle or dowel. Then press in the other bearing. Does this seem about correct? I have better access to aluminum spacers than stainless steel tubing. I hope that would work also.

Stef Biggel

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2022, 07:40:28 AM »
Yes, i took a 18mm stainlesssteel Tube, made with the lathe sure that that the barrel isn‘t curvie and produce a Barrel 15mm inner and 17mm outer diameter. It is enough to removing one Bearing (I remove both because I replace them completely).

I’m pressing in both bearings with the spacer in the middle simultaneously. The Axis of pressing Tool holds the Spacer in Position.

You are right, it‘s really simple.

Sure you can also use a Alloy spacer material. I wasn‘t sure of needed thickness of the wall so I use steel but 1mm is also ok with alloy.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 04:11:26 AM by Stef Biggel »

endo.alley

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2022, 06:10:46 PM »
Thanks for the information. If the tubing is cut to a 43.5mm length it will fit nicely between the bearings? And other than this upgrade the frame has worked out well for you? I am thinking about buying this frame and putting a bike together this spring. My choice is between this and the FM1002. Either seems like a good choice. Although I am partial to the Pivot style rear end of this bike.

Stef Biggel

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2022, 04:20:25 AM »
Hello endo.alley,
Yes the 43.5mm for the two lower connections (front Frame and rear triangle) and the 31.85mm for the upper connection fits exactly between the Bearings. Before you cut tube you can measure it, by measuring the Bearing outside to outside and subtract 14mm. Than you are quite sure.

I have only one other problem (the rear shock absorber connection is 8x22mm not 8x30mm as in the description) with the Frame and i drove nearly 5000 up- ans downmeters since i build it. Also with little jumps (no big Air, this is not my game) and a lot of stony fields (S1-S3). I drove the SC Normad from a friend of me, and i think it works as fine as (the Normad is 650B i know, but in the home trail terrain this don‘t make a difference).

The FS830 is nearly per mm the same frame as the Pivot Firebird from 2019 (except of a longer Seattube) but don‘t have the superboost rear. But in my opinion it makes the Frame not as stiff and stressful.

So if you use high quality components (not as me Ztto Rotors and bottom braked, but i have exchanged both) i think you will get a great bike. I‘m thinking about building the same for my wife (but she says it isn‘t necessary
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 04:22:24 AM by Stef Biggel »

Stef Biggel

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2022, 04:30:43 AM »
And if you're removing a bearing, it's worth swapping out both bearings for "Enduro 3802 2RS max"... those 6 bearings will cost you less than €80 (or $) and then you'll have a much sturdier bearing that's fully filled with grease.

endo.alley

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2022, 10:44:04 AM »
Hmm. It would be great if the manufacturer would address this problem with a machined spacer added to the frame.

Stef Biggel

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2022, 04:34:39 AM »
I promised to write somthing to the build if it is worthy: the last 4 days was worthy. ;D

We done 6500 altitudemeter down in Vinschgau (italy) over long trails (1000-1400m down) in classic natrual S1-S3(short sections) tarrain.

The FS 830 did a mega Job and if i feld uncomforable in short moments, the rider was the problem not the bike.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 01:02:43 PM by Stef Biggel »

Draz

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2022, 07:27:07 PM »
Such a lovely place for mtb

Stef Biggel

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2022, 10:16:43 AM »
15.000 meter down in Reschen/Nauders two weeks ago S1-S3.... awesome   :D :P

The Bike works still good  8).