Author Topic: Velofranner's Build  (Read 18829 times)

velofranner

Re: Velofranner's Build
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 04:49:28 PM »
The ESI grips are primo, you're gonna like them. I go back and forth between ODI Ruffians and ESI grips, but my wife's been running nothing but ESI for years now.

Sounds good! I've only read good things about them!

Not going to pretend to be all that experienced here, but I would add $110 to your budget and get the carbon wheels from Iplay or similar on Novatech hubs for $560.  I just got the 30 millimeter id rims, & I will be darned if these are not Roval rims, (which with DT hubs cost $1500).   these are going to be an awesome upgrade to ride on, but beyond that, the thing I'm most excited about is not having to true wheels as frequently, or likely at all! These wheels are Beefy, strong, and light.

I would REALLY love to have carbon wheels also, but it depends on how cheap I can get the other components :-).

velofranner

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 03:56:36 AM »
Another update

I received the M785 brakes and the M786 rear derailleur:

They look good!

velofranner

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 05:00:47 AM »
Okay guys another update...

I'm about to buy the wheelset - unfortunatly I do not have the funds to buy a carbon wheelset (And if I bought them I would have to pay antidumping to the customs, so that ain't gonna happen) - so I've looked at two wheelsets. They are both with DT Swiss 240s hubs. And I would like to get some feedback from you guys, so you maybe can help me choose:

- DT Swiss 240s hubs, Fun Works Atmosphere XL (28mm external; 23mm internal) rims and DT Swiss Competition Race spokes, Weight 1640g - http://www.actionsports.de/en/dt-swiss-240s-disc-is-atmosphere-xl-comp-race-laufradsatz-29er-1640g-4237?c=401

- DT Swiss 240s hubs, Ryde Trace XC 21 (24,4mm external; 20,8mm internal) rims and Sapim D-Light spokes, Weight 1450g - http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/dt-swiss-240s-disc-is-ryde-trace-xc-29-wheelset-15mm-x-12-260769?currency=9&delivery_country=227

The rim width is different, and I don't know what I should choose...

JohnnyNT

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 05:08:28 AM »
I know nothing about atmosphere XL rims, but Trace XC are great (several people on Polish light-bike forum use them and are very happy). And 200 g off on rotating mass is huge !! If only these DT were Straight pull I would buy the latter wheelset too. Anyway, my vote for Trace XC :)

velofranner

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 05:18:12 AM »
I know nothing about atmosphere XL rims, but Trace XC are great (several people on Polish light-bike forum use them and are very happy). And 200 g off on rotating mass is huge !! If only these DT were Straight pull I would buy the latter wheelset too. Anyway, my vote for Trace XC :)

Thanks JohnnyNT :-)

The Atmosphere XL rims are from Actionsports own brand, I don't know much about them either. I can't find any custom wheelsets that are with 240s straight pull, but those would be great!

Votes:
Ryde Trace: 1
Atmosphere XL: 0

JohnnyNT

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 06:23:18 AM »
Well, there is a guy in Poland, a real experienced wheelbuilder who sells custom wheelsets like the one below:

DT 350s Straight pull hubs+ ZTR Crest front 28h rear 32h +  Pillar X-TRA 1420 Spokes
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.509463069153548.1073741826.174503159316209&type=3

Weight for 29er is about 1480g and the price ~400 Euro.

Considering that 350s have the same inner parts as 240s, just a tad heavier case, it is a great deal ;)

I do not know if he ships abroad, you can contact him at sklep@daveo.pl

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 07:52:47 PM »
I would ask what type of riding you think you will be doing and how much do you weigh? 

If your riding is harder trail riding and you are over 80kg, I would go with the wider, heavier wheels.

If your riding is more XC without many drops, roots, and rocks AND you weigh less than 80kg, go for the lighter, more narrow wheelset.

I learned my lesson with my DT Swiss XR1450 wheels.  My weight is ~90kg and I ride some fairly rough trails with lots of rocks and tree roots.  I loved the light weight DT Swiss wheels but after only a few months of riding, I bent a rear wheel enough that it could not be brought back to true.  I purchased a new XR1450 rim and replaced the one that was bent, however I'm sure I will bend the rear wheel again in the future.  When I do, I will rebuild the wheel with a carbon hoop from Iplay.

My other bike has Iplay 30mm carbon rims and Bitex hubs.  I've ridden these wheels pretty hard and they are just as true as when they were new.  They seem to be much stronger than the DT Swiss wheels but they are 1560g.  For me and my riding, I need the extra weight and strength of my Iplay wheelset.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

velofranner

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 09:00:14 AM »
I would ask what type of riding you think you will be doing and how much do you weigh? 

If your riding is harder trail riding and you are over 80kg, I would go with the wider, heavier wheels.

If your riding is more XC without many drops, roots, and rocks AND you weigh less than 80kg, go for the lighter, more narrow wheelset.

I learned my lesson with my DT Swiss XR1450 wheels.  My weight is ~90kg and I ride some fairly rough trails with lots of rocks and tree roots.  I loved the light weight DT Swiss wheels but after only a few months of riding, I bent a rear wheel enough that it could not be brought back to true.  I purchased a new XR1450 rim and replaced the one that was bent, however I'm sure I will bend the rear wheel again in the future.  When I do, I will rebuild the wheel with a carbon hoop from Iplay.

My other bike has Iplay 30mm carbon rims and Bitex hubs.  I've ridden these wheels pretty hard and they are just as true as when they were new.  They seem to be much stronger than the DT Swiss wheels but they are 1560g.  For me and my riding, I need the extra weight and strength of my Iplay wheelset.

Thanks Carbon_Dude

Well my mountainbiking is primarily a supplement to my road biking which I do most. Most of the terrain here in Denmark is quite flat and the trails are mostly XC (some trails have quite many roots, but not many). My weight is 64 kg (19 years).

I've also heard many who think that wider rims are better for everybody.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
Given your weight and moderate trail conditions, it seems like the lighter 1450g wheels should work fine for you.  However, some people who are 19 years of age believe they are invincible and can really abuse wheels :).  If you are not one of those, then go with the lighter weight  8).
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

brmeyer135

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 05:58:43 AM »
ZTR crest are fine wheels - have them myself - went with 32h to stiffen them up - some complain they are squirrley?
So, glad to see at least the rear is 32...based on your stated riding those would work well.
I would rather have the DT240s so I would choose the XL Trace(seem similar to Crest).

velofranner

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 06:54:44 AM »
Given your weight and moderate trail conditions, it seems like the lighter 1450g wheels should work fine for you.  However, some people who are 19 years of age believe they are invincible and can really abuse wheels :).  If you are not one of those, then go with the lighter weight  8).

Okay thanks Carbon_Dude :-)

ZTR crest are fine wheels - have them myself - went with 32h to stiffen them up - some complain they are squirrley?
So, glad to see at least the rear is 32...based on your stated riding those would work well.
I would rather have the DT240s so I would choose the XL Trace(seem similar to Crest).

Thanks brmeyer135

Hmm...XL Trace? A combination?! The Ryde Trace is quite different, they have a offset of 3 mm:

JohnnyNT

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 06:59:38 AM »
Trace XC are similar to Crest in mass (even slightly lighter IIRC) and inner width, yet they are asymmetric and can work with higher spoke tension. People say they are slightly more durable than Crest too.

velofranner

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 07:20:38 AM »
Yes that is also what I have read. Well there is also another option: Ryde Trace Trail. Internal width: 24,8 mm. External width: 28,8 mm. Would that be better with a bigger tire?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 01:25:23 PM by velofranner »

JohnnyNT

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 02:51:36 AM »
According to Schwalbe, you shouldn't have much trouble with 21mm rim, even with wider tires.

The boom for wider rims is the result of tubeless setups and riding with lower pressure. In such case wider rim improves stability significantly (especially when 2.2 or wider tires are used).

velofranner

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 08:19:17 AM »
Aha okay! I think that I would go with Racing Ralph 2.25 or something like that.