Author Topic: Velofranner's Build  (Read 18811 times)

velofranner

Velofranner's Build
« on: November 05, 2014, 12:56:47 PM »
Hi All

So I've just received my first components for the build! And I thought it was a good time to start this build thread :)

I'm planning to have the build done next summer (It's a long time away, but I can manage it). Currently I don't know quite yet to get the IP-057 or the IP-256, but I think I will buy that eventually, so there is much time to think. I'm also a bit unsure which wheels I'm gonna buy, so if you have any suggestions then they are welcome, but a price around 450$ would be great.

All my carbon parts is gonna be UD Matt, and with green: ESI Chunky Grips and a Race Face Narrow Wide chainring it's gonna look great I think.

I will update the thread when I get more components. I will also post pictures of all the components.

UPDATE
I will buy the IP-036 frame instead.

And finally here is my build list:

The blue boxes is the things that I currently have bought.

/Velofranner
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:11:41 AM by velofranner »

JohnnyNT

Re: Velofranner's Build
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 04:26:38 AM »
When it comes to wheels try to find DT350/Hope2Evo on Crests or a similar rim. Could be hard to get at that price point but doable. Switching front hub to Novatec would lower the price, but treat it as last resort ;P

velofranner

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 04:56:50 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion JohhnyNT, I will try to consider that. I've also looked at the XMIPLAY IP-HR930C with the DT 240S hub even though they are over my budget! They just look very nice!

Here is a little update of the components I got:

I like these blue boxes :)

cmh

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 12:02:51 PM »
When it comes to wheels try to find DT350/Hope2Evo on Crests or a similar rim. Could be hard to get at that price point but doable. Switching front hub to Novatec would lower the price, but treat it as last resort ;P

Hope hubs and ZTR rims are my version of a fantastic MTB wheel at a reasonable price. If you're building, remember to check the UK sites like Wiggle.co.uk for the Hope hubs, you can save a TON vs. US suppliers. The only thing I'd warn is if gravity loves you more than others, the Crest might not be enough rim.  The Arch is great, I've got a set (pre-Arch EX) that have been bombproof. I know guys of my stature (6'+, 200lbs+) who weren't as thrilled with the Crest.

Vipassana

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 05:35:29 PM »
If your budget for wheels is ~$450, I would stretch the price a bit and but the carbon fiber wheels from Iplay or Lightbike.  You will get the Novotech hubs, which are probably not quite as nice as DT Swiss, but they are still very solid performers and rarely give any trouble.  The carbon rims on the other hand, will be significantly stronger and stiffer than most any other alloy rim out there of the same width and/or weight.  The 30mm, hookless wheels from Iplay are a favorite on here and I've personally had experience with 3 sets (on bikes I and my coworkers built).  They have been great and are still nice a true after hundreds of miles and a few crashes.  A friend with lightweight Stans rims is always having to true his.  YMMV.

I think the Iplay 30mm hookless wheels are around $560 a set or so.  Lightbike may have other options too and both will do graphics and weave pattern I believe. 

Look more into wider rims; the industry is moving that direction for a number of advantages over traditional narrow XC wheels.

velofranner

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I would also be most happy with carbon wheels instead of alu, when (almost) all the other things of the bike are made of carbon. I'm looking forward to see which decision I make! :)

But my next item on the shopping list is:
Shimano XT M785 Brake Set
Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ GS Derailleur

velofranner

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »
UPDATE

So I found an offer on the RockShox Reba RL at 300$! And there was only 1 left, because of that I bought it.

It's the version with: 100mm, Tapered, Maxle Lite. The fork pump and service kit was included!

Here is a pic:

I did also buy a Shimano 16T cog for the XT cassette if I'm going to make the OneUp upgrade. I know that they also include a 16T cog with their 42T cog, but I just read on some forums that it ain't that good.

Reggie n SF

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 11:28:01 PM »
Im watching and learning

Vipassana

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 12:37:47 AM »
UPDATE

So I found an offer on the RockShox Reba RL at 300$! And there was only 1 left, because of that I bought it.

It's the version with: 100mm, Tapered, Maxle Lite. The fork pump and service kit was included!

Here is a pic:

I did also buy a Shimano 16T cog for the XT cassette if I'm going to make the OneUp upgrade. I know that they also include a 16T cog with their 42T cog, but I just read on some forums that it ain't that good.

That's a smoking deal.  Strong work.

velofranner

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 03:42:38 PM »
Yeah Vipassana I rushed home from school to buy it!

And by the way it was at the german shop called Rose. They have great reputation in Germany. And I live in Denmark so the delivery wasn't very pricey.

velofranner

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
UPDATE

Just a little update, I've bought the Race Face Narrow Wide 32T chainring in green! It looks nice.

Here it is!

And I didn't show you the Shimano 16T cog in the last post, so if you wanna know then it looks like that.

turboenterprise

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 05:40:48 PM »
Damn that Reba is a steal.  I paid 500 and I thought I got a good deal. 

velofranner

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 08:42:02 AM »
Christmas time!

I've got these ESI Chunky Grips as a present, they look and feel very nice.

I plan to buy the: M786 rear derailleur and the M785 brakes in january.

cmh

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 06:31:50 PM »
Christmas time!

I've got these ESI Chunky Grips as a present, they look and feel very nice.

The ESI grips are primo, you're gonna like them. I go back and forth between ODI Ruffians and ESI grips, but my wife's been running nothing but ESI for years now.

ponderosa

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 01:31:27 AM »
Not going to pretend to be all that experienced here, but I would add $110 to your budget and get the carbon wheels from Iplay or similar on Novatech hubs for $560.  I just got the 30 millimeter id rims, & I will be darned if these are not Roval rims, (which with DT hubs cost $1500).   these are going to be an awesome upgrade to ride on, but beyond that, the thing I'm most excited about is not having to true wheels as frequently, or likely at all! These wheels are Beefy, strong, and light.