Author Topic: Speeder SC-R48  (Read 28508 times)

Tines

Re: Speeder SC-R48
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2022, 10:04:16 AM »
I find reviews mostly meaningless. Handling is primarily determined by geometry, wheels, tires and air pressure. I would love to read reviews that have been done blindfolded, without the reviewer knowing what he or she is riding. But it's not happening for obvious reasons. Also, everyone seems to be able to give reviews about wheels and frames and whatnot, no matter how technically proficient he or she is. Today's disc bikes are so balanced and differences in handling are so small. I had a look at the geometry chart of the SC-R48D and I was already pretty sure I knew what I could expect in terms of handling. Of course, I may be wrong but then I'm the first to acknowledge that. To be perfectly honest, the main driver why I ordered it is because of its simple look, round seatpost, external cables (I have plenty integrated bikes), light weight and EPS molding technology.

BTW, the frame head tube is tapered 1 1/8” - 1 1/2”. I thought I read here that the upper section is 1 1/2” which it isn't.
I agree, for me the reviews are mostly anecdotal. However I like looking at real images of the product. I do not care too much about their technical opinions in most cases because it is way too subjective but I usually  prefer a product where the vendor has proven to deliver goods reliably.

Tines

« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2022, 08:23:27 AM »
Are those derailleur hangers universal? Or are these proprietary?

Liter

« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2022, 09:17:11 AM »
I just ordered an SC-R48D frame. Justin is very easy to work with. No language barrier, quick answers.

Carbon gloss finish, size 520, 849 USD including shipping. According to Justin, about 2 months lead time.

Keep us posted, does the frame come with stem/handlebars?

Tines

« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2022, 10:56:25 AM »
Keep us posted, does the frame come with stem/handlebars?
No. You pay extra for that. Also for the headset, through axle and sestpost.
I just ordered too.

jungian

« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2022, 01:02:17 PM »
Good to know. Curious to see how your builds turn out, are you going for a weight weenie build or more of an all rounder?

slow_poke11

« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2022, 08:07:46 PM »
T1500 owner here.

I've spoken to several mechanics who have successfully ran fully routed mechanical groupsets for the T1500. The only reason I didn't do this personally was both for serviceability...and because I am absolutely sick of running fully routed mechanical groupsets this year LoL.

This is proving a bit of a dilemma for me for a couple of reasons. I have bought a T1500 frame, but have not opted to buy their handlebars. I'm not too fussed about fully internal routing because of the serviceability issues and therefore might prefer semi-external routing anyway.  I thought that Speeder might have some T1500 equivalent handlebars but it seems that the only integrated handlebars they have are full internal routing: https://www.speedercycling.com/Carbon-Integrated-Road-Handlebars-SC-RH02-_p401.html

If it is possible to route the Speeder handlebars with a 105 hydraulic disc groupset on the T1500 frame then I might compromise. However, if this is potentially going to lead to problems, then I need to find something else.

patliean1

« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2022, 10:38:39 PM »
I have bought a T1500 frame, but have not opted to buy their handlebars.

If it is possible to route the Speeder handlebars with a 105 hydraulic disc groupset on the T1500 frame then I might compromise. However, if this is potentially going to lead to problems, then I need to find something else.

Any particular reason you opted not to buy the Winspace handlebars? That would have inherently resolved the cable routing issue, since the handlebars have additional ports/outlets underneath to accommodate externally routing the mechanical shift cables into each side of the frame downtube.

Assuming Winspace has your handlebar size in stock and you're comfortable with the drop, reach, and -10 stem angle...I cannot recommend their handlebars enough. Looking at those Speeder handlebars, the outlets/ports near the drops do not look wide enough to fit both a hydro and mechanical shift cable. Probably intended for Di2 or eTap.

Alternatively you can run a separate handlebar stem combo using either FSA's ACR or SRS no. 69 system.

slow_poke11

« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2022, 03:30:20 AM »
Any particular reason you opted not to buy the Winspace handlebars?

Looking at those Speeder handlebars, the outlets/ports near the drops do not look wide enough to fit both a hydro and mechanical shift cable. Probably intended for Di2 or eTap.

Cost mainly (but also they don't have my size). They are USD $320 inc shipping (assuming it's OK to go for the "only for spare parts and accessories" option). Given that there is/was some relationship between Speeder and Winspace, I was hoping that they would have the same bars.

I take your point about the ports. The CAD drawing does show 4 cables though.

slow_poke11

« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2022, 12:31:26 AM »

Alternatively you can run a separate handlebar stem combo using either FSA's ACR or SRS no. 69 system.

I'm now leaning towards starting out with one of these until I have my fit dialled in and then switching to integrated bars once I'm more confident that I'm buying the right size.  Which of these would require the least initial outlay and least hassle when it comes to swapping over?

Tines

« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2022, 12:57:58 AM »
Can you please not derail this thread ?

slow_poke11

« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2022, 04:43:32 AM »
Can you please not derail this thread ?
Sorry. I guess I did a bit.

« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2023, 12:54:49 PM »
I am getting to place an order for disc brake version. Emailing with Justin right now.

Does anyone have any experience or photos that they can share?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 04:09:54 PM by seattle_cyclist »

Tines

« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2023, 02:02:30 PM »
I’ll get my disc brake version sometime in the near future. Cannot tell, it’s on its way.
Will post pictures if i have it.

I have prepared more or less everything except frame plugs because I don’t know if I’ll be needing those….

« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2023, 04:09:26 PM »
I’ll get my disc brake version sometime in the near future. Cannot tell, it’s on its way.
Will post pictures if i have it.

I have prepared more or less everything except frame plugs because I don’t know if I’ll be needing those….

Tines, what other components did you have to buy? This is my first build so I'm actually not sure which pieces I might be missing.

I'll be ordering the frame and a seat post.

I'm not sure about the headset sizing and dimensions.

Trilobite

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2023, 02:09:59 AM »
My frameset is ready to be shipped. Let's see how long it takes until it arrives.
It's a size 490 in carbon gloss, not sure if I'll build it up though. But I'll make pictures of the frameset and what came with it.