Author Topic: ProX carbon wheels (LightCarbon)  (Read 2107 times)

ENEP

ProX carbon wheels (LightCarbon)
« on: January 25, 2023, 12:29:54 AM »
Haven't seen these mentioned here so thought I'd make an effort to get the discussion going.

The brand is ProX, company name "Xiamen ProX Carbon Technology Co., Ltd" and based in Xiamen City, China
They've been around since 2010 and focused on carbon bike rims since 2012. Since 2019 they also have a partnership with LightCarbon which is well known here.
More info: https://www.proxcarbon.com/about-us_d1

I found out about the company thru a Hambini review video where he was very positive about the wheels build quality also considering the price.

So I reached out to ProX to get a quote on a set of wheels, more specific the "R98" which is their OEM and cheaper rim brake model with in-house hubs. Tubeless, 50mm deep and 25mm wide, see complete spec below. These are available in different depths, widths, cassette body and also possible to upgrade to ceramic bearings. Most interesting is that they have a grooved brake track which isn't common at this price point.

Shortly after I received a e-mail from "Cassie" with a well written and detailed quote with all the necessary information. Very professional and not what I'm used to from dealing with other Chinese manufacturers, impressed!

98-PRV25-50C-1423 https://www.proxcarbon.com/prox-cheap-road-bike-wheels-r98-rim-brake-carbon-wheelset_p32.html
ProX R98 carbon 700C road Clincher wheelset. [rim brake]
Rims: PRV25-50C (50mm height, 25mm wide, tubeless ready). 20H/24H.
UD matte finish.  With high TG 3K grooved brake surface
Hubs: black, ProX R98, straight pull, Road hubs (5x100mm QR/5x130mm QR). For rim brake. Steel bearings
Spokes: Pillar 1423 spokes (black). With nipples (black).
Body: Shimano 11s

Price: USD329/pair
Shipping: USD150 (taxes and duty included)
Seems like a good set of wheels to a fair price and also comes with 2-year warranty.

Does anybody have experience with this brand and their wheels?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 02:09:17 AM by ENEP »

svanimpe

Re: ProX carbon wheels (LightCarbon)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 08:39:23 AM »
I'm guessing they're identical to the LightCarbon ones?
If so, I've had a lot of LightCarbon wheelsets (road and gravel, with disc brakes). Build quality was excellent. My only issue has been tubeless tyre compatibility. Some tyres fit perfectly, others just won't pop into place without an inner tube. Although this may be a general problem with tubeless tyres ....

00Garza

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 07:02:25 PM »
The hubs are a potential weak point. They could be fine, or they could be trash. Not worth the risk in my opinion and better to pay a little more for hubs that are at least more common and can find parts for.

JerryAT

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 11:58:48 AM »
They also offer wheels with DT Swiss hubs at a very reasonable price (less than 600 USD for 44mm deep disc break wheelset).
I‘m very curious but would like to hear more about their build quality and long-term experience.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 11:23:53 AM »
I just ordered a wheelset. Communication was fast. I'll post some pics once it arrives.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 12:35:39 PM »
Well folks my wheelset finally arrived. The wheels looked good on visual inspection. When I started installing the tire though, the rim completely delaminated.  :'(

I've reached out to ProX. Let's see what they say. Otherwise I may have to use PayPal Purchase Protection.

coffeebreak

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 12:43:33 PM »
That looks ..terrible. As if the brake track was pretty much a plasti-dip job? So even if it did not come off during tire installation, I wonder how long it would last once brake pads come in contact with it.

jonathanf2

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 01:04:26 PM »
Well folks my wheelset finally arrived. The wheels looked good on visual inspection. When I started installing the tire though, the rim completely delaminated.  :'(

I've reached out to ProX. Let's see what they say. Otherwise I may have to use PayPal Purchase Protection.

Yikes, hopefully they can send you a refund or replacement. I had an issue with my Elite Wheels front rim and they sent me a replacement.

ENEP

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 01:21:57 PM »
That looks ..terrible. As if the brake track was pretty much a plasti-dip job? So even if it did not come off during tire installation, I wonder how long it would last once brake pads come in contact with it.

Agree. Looks terrible and as if the brake track is added on to the rim and not as part of the rim.
Shit happen no matter the producer/brand, hope that ProX solves it quick and easy.

FHS

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 08:48:11 PM »
Yikes.

Did you get a leak into the chamber?

JimLee

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2023, 09:49:32 PM »
The problem occurs because the tubeless tires are inflated too quickly. We've done an aftermarket treatment, compensating for a full pair of wheels,
PX is our wheel set production subsidiary, please rest assured that our LC after-sales service has been well received in the past twelve years, and more and more bicycle shops and brands cooperate with us because our after-sales service is timely while accurate,

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 09:03:34 PM »
Any updates on this? I've recently received my set

JimLee

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2023, 04:58:29 AM »
We will send a new pair of wheels for it,
Lightcarbon has more than thirteen years of OEM service experience in this industry, so you don't have to worry about after-sales issues, we will not make fun of our brand reputation.

BalticSea

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2023, 04:56:13 AM »
Got my pair last week, 50mm depth, R98 hubs, rim brake. Used them with clinchers only, works well, planning on going tubeless soon (I was thinking about going tubeless once I wear out current tyres, Michelin Pro 4s, but already slashed the rear tyre... Gonna use a spare tyre for couple of weeks).

One of main reasons why I bought these wheels is the grooved braking surface, but grooves themselves are quite shallow. Haven't tried the wheels during a downpour, so can't say that shallow grooves have caused any issues

BalticSea

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 03:01:56 PM »
Got my pair last week, 50mm depth, R98 hubs, rim brake. Used them with clinchers only, works well, planning on going tubeless soon (I was thinking about going tubeless once I wear out current tyres, Michelin Pro 4s, but already slashed the rear tyre... Gonna use a spare tyre for couple of weeks).

One of main reasons why I bought these wheels is the grooved braking surface, but grooves themselves are quite shallow. Haven't tried the wheels during a downpour, so can't say that shallow grooves have caused any issues

Small update - since then I did few rides on clinchers until I got parts necessary for the bike, picked the bike from shop on Monday, with tubeless tyres installed (Pirelli P Zero Race TLR 26mm). Only managed to do couple of short rides, ~50km in total since going tubeless, but so far so good.