Author Topic: Wide rims for wheelbuilding  (Read 223 times)

xwalkprdx

Wide rims for wheelbuilding
« on: May 31, 2024, 04:26:44 AM »
I'm looking to build a new set of wheels for my racing bike. My current rimes are 21mm inner and 28 outer. I'm trying to follow the "rule of 105" so that means I need 30mm outer width to match with my 28c tires. I haven't seen any that wide. I've built up two wheelsets from Lightcarbon rims and I'm super happy with them. Any ideas or links are appreciated!

Serge_K

Re: Wide rims for wheelbuilding
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 04:54:30 AM »
in the last few weeks the same question has been asked several times, have look and reply to the previous threads if unclear.

Mtnbykr

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 09:04:32 AM »
in the last few weeks the same question has been asked several times, have look and reply to the previous threads if unclear.

Got a link for those threads?

xwalkprdx

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2024, 01:30:25 PM »
I searched for wide rims and found more Q's than definitive answers. But I did find some good options at Light Bicycle like these: https://www.lightbicycle.com/carbon-road-gravel-cx-disc-bike/rims/700C--24-25mm.

Now I get in the internal debate that buying rims, hubs, spokes, and nipples separately at retail prices is the same or sometimes more than buying a complete wheel. I guess the long term value is buying good hubs and then using them with multiple rims over the years, changing out the bearings as needed.