Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 78583 times)

JonMS

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #720 on: November 15, 2023, 08:10:33 AM »
Has anyone by any chance had to replace their headset bearings on the VB-R218? Or did you maybe use a different one from the one that VB supply?
Reason I’m asking is I need to replace my lower headset bearing. A few wet rides and it seems that water ingress made it corrode.
Now I know this is an IS52/40 headset. But what shape does the bearing seat in the VB-R218 frame have? The original Dogma F uses bearings with 45/45degrees where most other frames are using 36/45degree bearings. Is the difference only the angle on the inside and it doesn’t matter as long as you’re using the crown race that comes with the bearing? I’m lost. I wanna order the replacement bearing before I tear the bike apart. But I dunno which one.

I bought an OEM pinarello headset for my replacement frame.

jonathanf2

« Reply #721 on: November 15, 2023, 12:34:21 PM »
Thanks!  I'm surprised how well it came out with the gold hcain and erx group.  I don't even know how the new shimano cranks look, originally I was going to go with 105 rim groupset with juin-tech pistons instead of erx but I cannibalized that groupset to fix my other bikes and was left with only the crankset left.  Weighs about 8.9kg including the assioma duo-shi pedals, I think it would be 8.6kg without them.  Similar to my old Motobecane carbon road bike.

I'm glad you figured it out, you're the resident expert of this frame, if you couldn't do it no one can!

I'm curious, looking at your frame I'd presume it'd be a sub 8kg bike maybe sub 7.5kg. Even with power meter pedals, I would think going with ERX would offset a bit of the weight. The 105 R7000 isn't that heavy either. Is it your 60mm deep dish Elite Wheels and/or cassette that's adding weight?

Sebastian

« Reply #722 on: November 15, 2023, 11:31:14 PM »
The frame and fork are both not particularly light, I think. My size XXL/54 weighs 1250g painted. Both forks I had weighed north of 450g. So that’s already heavier than most. The cheaper Elite Wheels models are easily 1600-1700g in depths of 50mm or more.

I only got mine to 7.8kg all included because of the groupset’s and crank’s low weight. The Sroad cassette saves another 120g.

My DIY custom wheels are around 1450g in a 60mm depth.

kenderu

« Reply #723 on: November 16, 2023, 09:58:02 AM »
I'm curious, looking at your frame I'd presume it'd be a sub 8kg bike maybe sub 7.5kg. Even with power meter pedals, I would think going with ERX would offset a bit of the weight. The 105 R7000 isn't that heavy either. Is it your 60mm deep dish Elite Wheels and/or cassette that's adding weight?

I think even the real pinarello is a pretty weighty bike.  I definitely didn't go the weight weenie route, the 60mm Elitewheels SLT were about 1750g, cassette is a Shimano Ultegra 11-32.  I'm using a cheap set of IIIpro disc brakes, not sure if they're lighter than normal disc brakes.  Also, ERX groupset is quite heavy compared to a mechanical groupset too.

Quick question about the saddle bolts, how do you tighten a saddle without a cutout in the middle?  I realized that one of the bolt faces upwards, and if there's no cut out in the saddle, I have no idea how to tighten it.

jonathanf2

« Reply #724 on: November 16, 2023, 12:11:18 PM »
I think even the real pinarello is a pretty weighty bike.  I definitely didn't go the weight weenie route, the 60mm Elitewheels SLT were about 1750g, cassette is a Shimano Ultegra 11-32.  I'm using a cheap set of IIIpro disc brakes, not sure if they're lighter than normal disc brakes.  Also, ERX groupset is quite heavy compared to a mechanical groupset too.

Quick question about the saddle bolts, how do you tighten a saddle without a cutout in the middle?  I realized that one of the bolt faces upwards, and if there's no cut out in the saddle, I have no idea how to tighten it.

Got it. Still a nice build you have there!

Regarding the front screw saddle adjustment, you're going to have to remove the saddle, guesstimate your angle tilt and then adjust the screw prior to installing the saddle. Unless you have a center cutout saddle, there's not much else you can do to adjust it with the saddle attached.

joegal

« Reply #725 on: November 16, 2023, 12:39:36 PM »

You could also check if there is enough space so you could use a trimmed down/shortened allen key.

Sebastian

« Reply #726 on: November 16, 2023, 02:45:20 PM »
I think even the real pinarello is a pretty weighty bike.

They all were until the Dogma F, I think. Which is why Team Sky bikes were usually heavier than 7kg despite being rim brake bikes with tubs. And that’s also why Pinarello had to build an extralight version of the F8 and F10 frame for Froomey. The Dogma F then got considerably lighter and the real thing should easily have a frame weight of around 800g compared to this VB frame at 1200g. But I mean it better be lightweight at 6k for a frameset.

So yeah. If you care about weight, this VB frame is probably not for you.

Sebastian

« Reply #727 on: November 23, 2023, 06:34:58 AM »
I replaced the bottom headset bearing. To my pleasant surprise it wasn't actually worn out. It was just the dirt and grime that got in there that produced noise when turning the bars. I could have just cleaned it. Since I had the new Cane Creek bearing and crown race lying around I figured I might as well put that in and keep the original bearing as a spare. I took the opportunity to cut down the steerer a bit more and take off the single spacer I still had on top of the stem.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 06:38:00 AM by Sebastian »

kenderu

« Reply #728 on: November 23, 2023, 09:22:38 PM »
The no spacer look is nice, now I want to do it too...

Benbenben

« Reply #729 on: December 16, 2023, 02:37:15 PM »
Alright, I am building the frame that I have received under warranty because the first one was showing cracks between to he 2 holes on the seat stay.

Now I have just tightened the same bolt (making sure not to go above 3.5 nm). See picture. I see similar hairline "cracks" around the hole.

Do you guys have the same thing? It's really small, but still I don't believe I should have those "cracks". Unless the paint (basic black matte) is really bad quality.

For now, the indications don't seem to transfer into the carbon layup. But if you guys tell me that some of you have the same thing, I would know it really is the paint ain't no risk for those indications to become cracks in carbon.

Sebastian

« Reply #730 on: December 16, 2023, 02:45:25 PM »
Loosen the bolts and tighten them back up and see if you can make out any movement in the cracks. I don’t see any of these on my frame.

Deo

« Reply #731 on: December 24, 2023, 03:14:04 PM »
I am 188 cm and 97 kg, is XXL frame to small for me?

JonMS

« Reply #732 on: December 24, 2023, 05:12:05 PM »
I am 188 cm and 97 kg, is XXL frame to small for me?

185CM and it fits me great with a 100mm stem. Just size the stem/bar for what you need.

Sebastian

« Reply #733 on: December 25, 2023, 02:56:38 AM »
I am 190cm with long arms and I like the fit with a 120mm stem and the cockpit slammed onto the 20mm headset cover. The reach is on the shorter side for me but it rides nicely. There’s a lot of toe overlap on this frame for me because of the short wheelbase. Not a problem when you’re riding but you need to be aware of it when manoeuvring at low speeds.

Fit is very personal and your height alone really isn’t enough information to help you. Am XXL frame should get you in the ballpark. What stem length you need. If the seatpost setback works for you. If the geometry is for you or not. That’s impossible to tell without any further reference.

Deo

« Reply #734 on: December 25, 2023, 05:14:29 AM »
thanks, i gone need more help when i start ordering things for bike, maybe i go with sensah 1x12 groupset