Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 76960 times)

mattgolt

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #765 on: April 14, 2024, 08:27:37 AM »
Btw does the bell of the "Close the gap" sound good and loud enough? I mean is it worth the price? Are you satisfied with it? Also is the "uni light adapter" part of the package or you have to buy it separately?

No idea, its still in transit  ;D I'll let you know once I receive it

Serge_K

« Reply #766 on: April 14, 2024, 08:34:15 AM »
So where can I buy this?

Email petercycles@foxmail.com. Peter is a member on the forum, he sent me the frame for review. I haven't ridden it much at all but it's been super nice so far.

Serge_K

« Reply #767 on: April 14, 2024, 08:36:25 AM »
What frame is this?

To call a cat a cat, it's a clone of the latest Grevil. You can email petercycles@foxmail.com, he sent me the frame for review.

JonMS

« Reply #768 on: April 14, 2024, 09:48:53 AM »
Thanks. "Close the gap" looks like a very solid and elegant solution but I am not sure if I want to pay 60 euros for a Garmin mount with bell. You can find cheap chinese copies on Aliexpress (like five times cheaper) but sadly I only found versions for either standard aero bars or normal round bars. I cannot find a chinese version for Most iTalon bars.

Btw does the bell of the "Close the gap" sound good and loud enough? Are you satisfied with it? Did you have any problems mounting it on this frame bars since they are just a copy of the Most original?

I have two Pinarello version of the close the gap computer mount and bell. Volume is great, I use it every ride.

JonMS

« Reply #769 on: April 14, 2024, 09:52:19 AM »
To call a cat a cat, it's a clone of the latest Grevil. You can email petercycles@foxmail.com, he sent me the frame for review.

Thanks, I've reached out.

maza

« Reply #770 on: April 22, 2024, 06:58:38 PM »
Thanks. "Close the gap" looks like a very solid and elegant solution but I am not sure if I want to pay 60 euros for a Garmin mount with bell. You can find cheap chinese copies on Aliexpress (like five times cheaper) but sadly I only found versions for either standard aero bars or normal round bars. I cannot find a chinese version for Most iTalon bars.

Btw does the bell of the "Close the gap" sound good and loud enough? Are you satisfied with it? Did you have any problems mounting it on this frame bars since they are just a copy of the Most original?
I had the aliexpress aero version. Didn't last more than few rides until it broke. Bought the Close the gap version. Worth every penny. Solid build quality and the bell is easier to use and better.

JonMS

« Reply #771 on: May 08, 2024, 09:33:23 AM »
Got some new shoes for the purple bike. I asked the seller to ship without PCW branding but these are what showed up. I will likely remove the decals eventually.

Serge_K

« Reply #772 on: Today at 12:45:54 AM »
Thanks, I've reached out.

In case you haven't seen, Peter has since posted a new thread for the frame on the forum. T47 BB & 50mm tyre clearance.

blackpyros

« Reply #773 on: Today at 08:40:37 AM »
Bike almost finished, but I have issues with a headset play. Any recommendations on what I should do to fix this, as I am not really familiar with headset shenanigans. Some background:
- I've already replaced the original short compression plug with an extra long version (80 mm, not that I expected it will help, I did it mostly for other reasons).
- Also already tightened the plug to max recommended torque for this frame (6 Nm). The integrated handlebar with carbon paste applied tightened with the grub screws to around 3,5 Nm fits firmly already but I guess that's not relevant for a headset play issue?
- The cap on top of the stem I tightened with low torque (around 2,5 Nm) as I believe that's just for the cap to not move and it's not important for the headset itself or am I wrong? (The manual for Dogma says to preload to 2 Nm and then 6 Nm max, but I seriously don't understand why, as the cap is installed as a last part to just cover the stem, so why even preload it? I think the expander plug has to be preloaded before installing the stem or am I wrong again?
- My uneducated guess is the headset play may have something to do with the fact the bottom bearing didn't fit the headtube firmly and there is some play because the headtube seems to be a little wider than it should at the lower part. The upper bearing fits firmly. Top and bottom bearings on this frame are interchangeable and when I swapped them then again bottom bearing is loose and top fits firmly. This means that bearings should be both fine and correct diameter.
- To make the bottom bearing fit firmly too I wrapped it with electrical tape to increase its diameter slightly. This helped with the play during installation but maybe it's not enough after it. Again, I don't really understand how this thing even holds together and why the fork doesn't fall down from the frame...

So what do you guys think? Should I apply glue on the outer side of the bottom bearing like Loctite 638 or should I do something completely different first? And is it safe to ride with a headset play, at least for some shorter test ride or should I resist the temptation to try my new bike?

Serge_K

« Reply #774 on: Today at 09:05:13 AM »
we should have a thread on headset play. there are YT videos that explain the mechanics of it. I think you have to tighten the top cap, because that's what compresses everything. basically, the top cap pulls the plug up (which is why you need space between the steerer & the top cap, that's the space that gets compressed).
When $hit's tight, your plug can slide up the steerer before there's enough system compression, so keep an eye for that if you have play.
I think people sometimes use plumber's tape (teflon) for loose bearings, electrical tape sounds ghettoer / maybe too flexy?
Btw, if your bearing really is swimming in its hole, then post a video, you may get a new frame. Some play might be acceptable, but if they botched it, they botched it.
It's safe to try the bike with a little play. Don't over do it, dont take it offroad, dont go down a mountain pass, be sensible.

neobiker

« Reply #775 on: Today at 09:10:32 AM »
You might try to add a spacer to check if the fork was not cut too long. It happened to me twice.

blackpyros

« Reply #776 on: Today at 11:52:04 AM »
Just tightening the top cap to max torque 6 Nm didn't help either.

You might try to add a spacer to check if the fork was not cut too long. It happened to me twice.
I don't think my fork was cut too long but just to be sure, how big space should be between bottom of the cap and top of the plug? And should these two touch after fully tightening the top cap?

Also I just broke both of the caps I have.  The first one was an original from Velobuild - some aluminium shit that broke in two parts before even applying 6 Nm with the original socket head cap screw in left. The right one I got with the additional spacers I bought made from carbon developed cracks and is likely not safe to use anymore. It has a hole for a countersunk head screw I had to buy separately. Bought a titanium one. Didn't fit the cap precisely which may be a reason why cracks occurred when applying 6 Nm torque. Seems like I will need a third one. Any recommendations for a good Aliexpress one? The caps are starting to become consumables and I am starting to become frustrated...

blackpyros

« Reply #777 on: Today at 12:50:39 PM »
Already ordered 2 more caps with screws they declare to fit 100%. Let's see...

I think people sometimes use plumber's tape (teflon) for loose bearings, electrical tape sounds ghettoer / maybe too flexy?
Btw, if your bearing really is swimming in its hole, then post a video, you may get a new frame. Some play might be acceptable, but if they botched it, they botched it.
It's safe to try the bike with a little play. Don't over do it, dont take it offroad, dont go down a mountain pass, be sensible.
I wouldn't say the bearing was swimming but without the tape it was loose enough to drop from the frame in Earth's gravitational field... The play was corrected by just one layer of that very thin electrical tape...
Already ordered PTFE tape but to apply it I will need to remove the fork from the frame, thus disconnecting the hydraulic hose from the left lever and possibly need to buy a new olive. I use SRAM brakes and levers.

JonMS

« Reply #778 on: Today at 01:59:37 PM »

- The cap on top of the stem I tightened with low torque (around 2,5 Nm) as I believe that's just for the cap to not move and it's not important for the headset itself or am I wrong? (The manual for Dogma says to preload to 2 Nm and then 6 Nm max, but I seriously don't understand why, as the cap is installed as a last part to just cover the stem, so why even preload it? I think the expander plug has to be preloaded before installing the stem or am I wrong again?

Is there enough of a gap with your steerer tube and top cap? There needs to be a gap so everything can squeeze together. Something akin the my attached image.
I am using a Pinarello compression plug and had to sand the VB top cap to allow enough space for everything to compress. I also swapped both bikes over to OEM Pinarello top caps as they fit the handlebars better looks-wise.

The order of install should be

1. Torque compression plug to required nM
2. Install fork to frame
3. Spacers etc.
4. Handlebars
5. Tighten top cap FIRST to compress everything on itself
6. Set handlebars straight then tighten grub screws

« Last Edit: Today at 02:02:55 PM by JonMS »

blackpyros

« Reply #779 on: Today at 03:10:18 PM »
Is there enough of a gap with your steerer tube and top cap? There needs to be a gap so everything can squeeze together. Something akin the my attached image.
I am using a Pinarello compression plug and had to sand the VB top cap to allow enough space for everything to compress.
Your image is not very helpful as it's a star nut inside an aluminium steerer. Carbon steerers use expansion plugs.
I don't really know how big the gap should be. Dogma manual says to cut the steerer 5 mm below the top of the stem, which I did and it looks like in the image.

VB top cap is shit. Not only is it made of fragile aluminium that breaks easily, it's also very thick - double the size of a carbon cap I got with additional spacers I bought. No wonder you had to sand it down if you didn't want to cut the steerer so low that the top grub screw would push into air instead of into the steerer.