Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 80587 times)

Sebastian

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2022, 08:43:39 AM »
Hello Sebastian, im thinking about buying this frameset and slowbly build a bike on it when i can obtain all the other components. i read that you chose the XXL size, im 186 cm tall and im not quite sure if i should go for the XXL or XL. how tall are you?

I’m around 190cm tall. I have a pretty good idea of my bike fit and I will get within -4mm of my regular reach with a 120mm stem length and a 40cm bar. Stack will be similar or a bit lower to my current bike, if required. I’m currently riding a Ridley Helium in size 57, which comes out very tall. It’s around the equivalent of a “classic” size 60.

The setback of the seatpost should be no issue since the seat angle is quite steep on this one. Also, the bb is lower than on my Helium.

But it’s about the smallest frame I can get away with with a 120mm stem.

Sebastian

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2022, 08:49:11 AM »
Hi, I'm about to get a bike fit for this frame and was wondering about the handlebar sizing - is the width measured from the hoods or total? (saw online that it might be total width instead of standard hood distance sizing)

Also would someone confirm that 32mm width tyres fit on this frame? Thanks

I still got the bars lying around as I was told to keep them for my frameset (which is finally on its way).
I need to recheck but I think the width is actually the total width of the handlebars. So a 40cm equates to around 38 when measured from Center to Center. But I’ll check again.

EDIT: They're actually around 41cm in total and around 39cm when measured center-center (see pic).

About the tire clearance: Like I said I’d expect them to fit. Chain stay clearance is 40-38mm right at the BB. But I haven’t actually stuck in a wheelset with that kind of rubber. One of the disc brake owners would have to confirm.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 05:57:23 AM by Sebastian »

Sebastian

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2022, 08:56:02 AM »
That color is badass tho! :)
I think I will go with blue ish color. Have decided that the order will take its place on the 25th once the salary comes.

Ah! Now it makes more sense! I thought it was triangle shaped based on the "cap".
One downside that I can think of is the guide tubes that doesnt exists and some people say that its very hard to pull the cable through without any cable. Wonder how that will be. I think so too but was just curious how they are going to hold up in the future in case it breaks or if I get any hairline cracks.

Which wheels were you planning to go with?

I got two sets already. A tubeless clincher by FFWD. My favourite set though is a set of AliExpress tubulars that I built myself. Novatec hubs with carbon shell. Pillar 1420 spokes. 60mm deep rims, 28mm wide, total weight 1350g.

Groupset will he Campy Centaur. Record crankset and record direct mount brakes. Sworks Power Saddle. The whole bike should hopefully weigh around 7.5kg with (power meter) pedals and accessories. Around 7.8kg with tubeless wheels.

Speaking about the stem, is there any angle to these stems?

The angle is a fairly standard -6 degrees, I think.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 11:15:28 AM by Sebastian »

Sebastian

« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2022, 06:00:53 AM »
Speaking about the stem, is there any angle to these stems?

I compared the stem angle with a Ritchey stem with a -6° angle that I had lying around. It's around the same. Maybe slightly more negative on the handlebar, so maybe it's -8°

Gwar

« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2022, 06:38:05 AM »
I’m around 190cm tall. I have a pretty good idea of my bike fit and I will get within -4mm of my regular reach with a 120mm stem length and a 40cm bar. Stack will be similar or a bit lower to my current bike, if required. I’m currently riding a Ridley Helium in size 57, which comes out very tall. It’s around the equivalent of a “classic” size 60.

The setback of the seatpost should be no issue since the seat angle is quite steep on this one. Also, the bb is lower than on my Helium.

But it’s about the smallest frame I can get away with with a 120mm stem.

thanks for your answer. I just ordered my Frame, im 186cm, i also went for the xxl one with 110/400 handlebar. i hope it was the right decision. I used the current canyon aeroad geometry as orientation. The Canyon size L is very similar to the r218 XXL.
I have another Canyon CF roadbike, so im fairly confident about the best size for me regarding canyon bikes.
I have a focus culebro racebike that i use on my wahoo kickr which has nearly the same dimensions as the XL r218 and it feels too small for me.
i chatted with chris via whatsapp and he told me the xxl frames are in production at the moment and will be ready for further at the end of July. i chose a simple Painjob, matte grey. Shipping to germany via EMS. i will inform you guys when it arrives. It will be the first time i Build a bike so i invite you to join and help me on this journey haha.

Julian

Jimin

« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2022, 03:15:18 PM »
I am also on the verge of ordering one. However I am just insecure of taking 90 or 100 for the stem. So I have a bikefit appointment this weekend and hopefully after that I would be able to order one. So excited that you all ordered one already! :)

Jimin

« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2022, 03:15:58 PM »
thanks for your answer. I just ordered my Frame, im 186cm, i also went for the xxl one with 110/400 handlebar. i hope it was the right decision. I used the current canyon aeroad geometry as orientation. The Canyon size L is very similar to the r218 XXL.
I have another Canyon CF roadbike, so im fairly confident about the best size for me regarding canyon bikes.
I have a focus culebro racebike that i use on my wahoo kickr which has nearly the same dimensions as the XL r218 and it feels too small for me.
i chatted with chris via whatsapp and he told me the xxl frames are in production at the moment and will be ready for further at the end of July. i chose a simple Painjob, matte grey. Shipping to germany via EMS. i will inform you guys when it arrives. It will be the first time i Build a bike so i invite you to join and help me on this journey haha.

Julian

Which matte grey did you order mate? :)

I am also super new so I will prolly ask a lot of noob-related questions here haha! :D

Gwar

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2022, 05:51:29 AM »
Which matte grey did you order mate? :)

I am also super new so I will prolly ask a lot of noob-related questions here haha! :D

its called "pantone 877c"

Julian

Liter

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2022, 10:30:14 AM »
comment retracted, since people enjoy the looks of this frame and people have bought it, who am I to say they are ugly

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 10:31:50 AM by Liter »

Irideslowly

« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2022, 10:45:21 AM »
comment retracted, since people enjoy the looks of this frame and people have bought it, who am I to say they are ugly

You are not the only one  ;)

Jimin

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2022, 12:09:37 PM »

I don't understand, you find this frame ugly? :)

Jimin

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2022, 12:50:40 PM »
Is the handlebar the same as the rest of the road bikes?  Also did you order through mail or WhatsApp? :)

timelap

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2022, 02:36:55 PM »
Just finished my build of the 218.     It was an easy build and turned out better then I expected.

hazzer19

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2022, 04:47:28 PM »
Just finished my build of the 218.     It was an easy build and turned out better then I expected.

Love the build and choice of paint scheme!

What wheels are those?

Jimin

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2022, 03:00:11 AM »

Smoking hot mate!