Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 80014 times)

kentsabrina

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2022, 02:13:14 PM »
Hi VB-R-218 owners, how do you guys install a barrel adjuster for mechanical shifting front derailleur in a full internal cable routing frameset like the 218?

Sebastian

« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2022, 03:05:58 PM »
Hi VB-R-218 owners, how do you guys install a barrel adjuster for mechanical shifting front derailleur in a full internal cable routing frameset like the 218?

I thought about doing it. You could access it through the BB cover. But I decided not to bother because it overcomplicates the cable routing if you have to split the housing down there where it makes a bend towards the derailleur. You could also try to cram an in-line adjuster below the cover in the handlebar maybe. But that would be pretty tight and crammed. I found it easy enough to adjust the cable tension when setting up the derailleur and leave it be.

madmax

« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2022, 07:02:42 PM »
Sizing question.

I'm 5' 10" and ride a 56cm madone & email reply from Chris said the size would be XL

1 .Is that correct ? aka same a 56cm ?

2. Can you order the frame unpainted & then have it painted locally or is it better to to just get it in matte black ?

kenderu

« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2022, 07:12:58 PM »
Compare the reach/stack on geometry geeks, they have the 218 frame there and should have the Madone.

madmax

« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2022, 10:04:48 PM »
Compare the reach/stack on geometry geeks, they have the 218 frame there and should have the Madone.

Awesome, thanks.   I compared my 2021 Madone SL-7 vs the Velo 218 L & SL sizes

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/trek-madone-2021-56-cm,velobuild-vb-r-218-2022-525-xl,velobuild-vb-r-218-2022-520-l/

The reach is the same for XL vs Madone, while the XL has a larger stack & stop tube, while the L has a shorter reach but is closer in the top tube & stack

I'm not sure which would be the correct size in my case, so any input would be really appreciated

The other question was on brakes/groupsets
Current Madone is disc + sram force & I am thinking of either using the same setup or trying out campy record mechanical with rim brakes

This would be the very first bike I will have ever built from the ground up, though I can do the maintenance on my current bike & pretty much have a complete toolset

Sebastian

« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2022, 12:25:40 AM »
Awesome, thanks.   I compared my 2021 Madone SL-7 vs the Velo 218 L & SL sizes

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/trek-madone-2021-56-cm,velobuild-vb-r-218-2022-525-xl,velobuild-vb-r-218-2022-520-l/

The reach is the same for XL vs Madone, while the XL has a larger stack & stop tube, while the L has a shorter reach but is closer in the top tube & stack

I'm not sure which would be the correct size in my case, so any input would be really appreciated

The other question was on brakes/groupsets
Current Madone is disc + sram force & I am thinking of either using the same setup or trying out campy record mechanical with rim brakes

This would be the very first bike I will have ever built from the ground up, though I can do the maintenance on my current bike & pretty much have a complete toolset

The stack might seem low on most sizes but you need to add 1.5cm to that figure because of the headset top cap that also acts as a cable routing guide. That’s the lowest possible set up for the handlebar. On more traditional frames with external routing, you can usually slam the stem much lower, so the stack figure is more representative of where the stem would actually sit.

I got an XXL and with the headset top cap it ends up having a stack of 60cm which is actually the same as my old frame despite the stack figure being smaller on the geometry chart. 

diefobo

« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2022, 03:17:53 AM »

From disc to rim, can I ask you why?

earicm

« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2022, 07:56:39 AM »
What did you use to ceramic coat it ? I tried some cheapo ceramic coating, it looks nice for a day. Didn't last as long as turtle wax.. LOL

I used Adam’s UV Advanced Graphene Ceramic Coating Kit. i got it on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099SGQVLD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

madmax

« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2022, 10:16:07 AM »
From disc to rim, can I ask you why?

Ease of maintenance. I don't know how to bleed sram brakes as yet.

1. If I stick with disc, it will be the sram force groupset as I have the chargers etc & don't want to bother with Di2
Also, less cable routing hassle, except for the brakes
I need to check these forums & see if anyone has has any issues routing cables in these frames

2. Since this is a Dogma clone (one of my fav. bikes), I thought it would be cool to have a rim brake one & campy groupsets are very durable & well made
I live in SoCal, so there's not that much rain & it's relatively flat. My wifes 2005 Bianchi with the Chorus groupset is still working fine till today with near zero maintainence
& it's easier to get wheels out of drops & transport the bike.

Still in 2 mind over this & the size.  The wheels will likely be Hunts as they are local & I don't need super aero wheels like zipps or dt swiss

patliean1

« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2022, 10:37:26 AM »
I'm tempted to try a 218 rim brake version myself

I have an old set of rim brake Hyper 65 wheels lying around that would be a great combo. Just wondering how "stiff" the frame is.

ancientone

« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2022, 11:26:40 AM »
Ease of maintenance. I don't know how to bleed sram brakes as yet.

1. If I stick with disc, it will be the sram force groupset as I have the chargers etc & don't want to bother with Di2
Also, less cable routing hassle, except for the brakes
I need to check these forums & see if anyone has has any issues routing cables in these frames

2. Since this is a Dogma clone (one of my fav. bikes), I thought it would be cool to have a rim brake one & campy groupsets are very durable & well made
I live in SoCal, so there's not that much rain & it's relatively flat. My wifes 2005 Bianchi with the Chorus groupset is still working fine till today with near zero maintainence
& it's easier to get wheels out of drops & transport the bike.

Still in 2 mind over this & the size.  The wheels will likely be Hunts as they are local & I don't need super aero wheels like zipps or dt swiss

I agree on the part about cable vs bleeding brake, especially those who stays in apartment. I didn't like the rim wear that comes from rim brakes, and so went with cable actuated disc brakes. But it's heavier than rim brakes..

diefobo

« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2022, 11:44:05 AM »
I agree on the part about cable vs bleeding brake, especially those who stays in apartment. I didn't like the rim wear that comes from rim brakes, and so went with cable actuated disc brakes. But it's heavier than rim brakes..

I'm also thinking about cable actuated disc brakes............

madmax

« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2022, 12:18:23 PM »
I'm also thinking about cable actuated disc brakes............

Hmm, good point. I just saw that Campagnolo Record 12spd groupset is also available in a mechanical disc brake, so that might be a good option or the Chorus

carbonazza

« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2022, 10:12:56 PM »
... I just saw that Campagnolo Record 12spd groupset is also available in a mechanical disc brake...

Mechanical is only for the shifters apparently.
The disc brakes are hydraulic.
https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Groupsets/mechanical_groupsets_for_racing_bicycles

Or do you plan to use the rim brake version shifters coupled with disc callipers ?

madmax

« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2022, 01:22:38 AM »
Mechanical is only for the shifters apparently.
The disc brakes are hydraulic.
https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Groupsets/mechanical_groupsets_for_racing_bicycles

Or do you plan to use the rim brake version shifters coupled with disc callipers ?

Hmm, didn’t realize that. I guess I will stick to sram force then so I don’t have multiple sets of bleeding tools etc
and it’s easier to maintain just one system

So campy would only really be an option with rim brakes