Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 81235 times)

DroidBE

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2022, 10:17:10 AM »
I am super excited, I just noticed that my L frame was shipped this afternoon..
but now worried as well. After seeing the BottomBracket issue on the youtube video ( https://youtu.be/-K3F-d4MlBY?t=2074 ) Hope mine arrives with a better-aligned frame.

Frame Size: L
Finish: Matte (Black Matte Paint / Carbon-look was not available)
Integrated bar size: 400/120

• I ordered Sensah Empire 11-speed Aluminium.
  • ZRACE BR-005 Cable Actuated Hydraulic Disc Brake (I mistakenly ordered for my alu-gravel bike before I learn the direct-mount vs post-mount difference ;D )
  • DT Swiss PR 1600 spline 32 (I was about to order EliteWheels Drive 50 but wanted to give an Alu wheel a try first before such investment..)
  • Still thinking about what Crankset to use :
    • Shimano 105 with Left-crank power-meter
    • Shimano Ultegra R8100 (Looks beautiful ;D )
    • Magene P325 Power-meter enabled crankset
  • Full Carbon Saddle from AliExpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32751879676.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.b76e1802HUpTsz
  • Muc-Off CARBON GRIPPER (I read some good reviews)
  • Liqui Moly 3802 Screw Lock Medium Strength

I am also thinking about buying Bike Torque Wrench, but not sure which one to buy without breaking the bank.

I think there are many other things to consider. Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

carbonazza

« Reply #166 on: September 16, 2022, 10:24:47 AM »
...I am also thinking about buying Bike Torque Wrench, but not sure which one to buy without breaking the bank...

Not sure how strong is your bank but I use the AWM-60 from: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000221636729.html
From 1.8Nm to 60Nm it covers all you need on a bike.
No problem for 2+ years with it, I love this tool.

Unfortunately the 3/8" Hex and Torx sockets I bought with it are not available anymore.

madmax

« Reply #167 on: September 16, 2022, 11:25:38 AM »
Look at these from Pro Bike Tool on Amazon  (out of stock at the moment)

PRO BIKE TOOL 1/4 Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench Set – 2 to 20 Nm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083MRWD6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the 1/4 & 3/8 sets in 2021 & have been using it since then on my Trek Madone SL-7 eTap & these are very good tools.

Your other choice would be ParkTools. This is one area where you do not want to use an uncalibrated wrench & wreck the frame or components

If you want a smaller hand one then get this or parktool  (4-6 Nm)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WMPMVGJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally bookmark or print this page

https://www.bikeride.com/torque-specifications/

s3si1u

« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2022, 12:07:15 PM »
but now worried as well. After seeing the BottomBracket issue on the youtube video ( https://youtu.be/-K3F-d4MlBY?t=2074 ) Hope mine arrives with a better-aligned frame.

• I ordered Sensah Empire 11-speed Aluminium.
  • ZRACE BR-005 Cable Actuated Hydraulic Disc Brake (I mistakenly ordered for my alu-gravel bike before I learn the direct-mount vs post-mount difference ;D )
  • DT Swiss PR 1600 spline 32 (I was about to order EliteWheels Drive 50 but wanted to give an Alu wheel a try first before such investment..)
  • Still thinking about what Crankset to use :
    • Shimano 105 with Left-crank power-meter
    • Shimano Ultegra R8100 (Looks beautiful ;D )
    • Magene P325 Power-meter enabled crankset
  • Full Carbon Saddle from AliExpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32751879676.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.b76e1802HUpTsz
  • Muc-Off CARBON GRIPPER (I read some good reviews)
  • Liqui Moly 3802 Screw Lock Medium Strength

I am also thinking about buying Bike Torque Wrench, but not sure which one to buy without breaking the bank.

I'm not sure where you are located but here in USA I just went to Harbor Freight (cheap hardware store chain) and bought a ~$20 torque wrench that has been working just great for over a year now. I have to do the conversion from in-lb to nm every time but it's no big deal. No need to buy an expensive one, even a beam torque wrench will do the job for a bike purposes.

madmax

« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2022, 12:14:17 PM »

What's your height ?

I'm 5' 10" and ride a 56cm trek  & Chris @velobulld said an XL on the 218 would fit me & I checked out bikegeometry would be the correct one & I'm checking to see what sizes people on here have ordered & their height

DroidBE

« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2022, 12:33:33 PM »

Finally bookmark or print this page

https://www.bikeride.com/torque-specifications/

I was looking for something like this! great! thanks!

What's your height ?

I'm 5' 10" and ride a 56cm trek  & Chris @velobulld said an XL on the 218 would fit me & I checked out bikegeometry would be the correct one & I'm checking to see what sizes people on here have ordered & their height

I am 185cm (6' 1" I guess..) He suggested XL as well.
But my arms are long and I am a bit flexible. I also compared the size with my current bike and then I went for L size.
Btw, I selected longer stem 120mm.

I'm not sure where you are located but here in USA I just went to Harbor Freight (cheap hardware store chain) and bought a ~$20 torque wrench that has been working just great for over a year now. I have to do the conversion from in-lb to nm every time but it's no big deal. No need to buy an expensive one, even a beam torque wrench will do the job for a bike purposes.

I'm from Belgium (Brussels). thanks for the suggestion
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 12:36:00 PM by DroidBE »

carbonazza

« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2022, 12:45:22 PM »
...I'm from Belgium (Brussels)...
Oh really... I'm just a few mm below on a map  8)

DroidBE

« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2022, 12:50:54 PM »
Oh really... I'm just a few mm below on a map  8)

Hehe in what scale  :D Are you from Waterloo, Charleroi or .. ?  :D
Would be nice to meet once the frame is ready to ride!

madmax

« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2022, 12:55:52 PM »

Be careful of some of that stuff from Harbor Freight.  I have bought stuff there in the past & I do get some cheap stuff there (tarps/bins/clips etc), but you are correct even a beam torque as shipped with Canyon bikes will work.
I know for a fact their mitre saws etc are not set up correctly & the last tile saw I bought was all over the map & did not last long.

For some of my tools I use Milwaukee for my home projects for the bike stuff I usually go with ParkTool or Pro Bike tool as posted above, well mainly because I can't afford to buy another trek bike   ;D

s3si1u

« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2022, 06:17:01 PM »
Be careful of some of that stuff from Harbor Freight.  I have bought stuff there in the past & I do get some cheap stuff there (tarps/bins/clips etc), but you are correct even a beam torque as shipped with Canyon bikes will work.
I know for a fact their mitre saws etc are not set up correctly & the last tile saw I bought was all over the map & did not last long.

For some of my tools I use Milwaukee for my home projects for the bike stuff I usually go with ParkTool or Pro Bike tool as posted above, well mainly because I can't afford to buy another trek bike   ;D

Oh of course. I've been a victim to some of their cheap stuff and know some things at Harbor Freight are just a waste of money, but for $20 I figured what the heck, I'll give it a shot. No complaints yet!
I'm slowly but surely building up my bin of proprietary bike tools and a nicer (and smaller) torque wrench is definitely in my future  ;D
Instagram: @aerosloth

« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2022, 12:22:29 PM »

So anyone else have BB issues yet?
Weird to me that GC's videos were made private after this guy posted his video.

kongo

« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2022, 01:10:08 PM »
i believe since he so close to the industry he probly received a letter from pinarello. I know the weekend after his vid went live velobuild pulled the frame for that Saturday and Sunday. Apparently they worked it out.  i placed my order on the 9/2/2021. An after i seen the vid a friend of mine try to order and they were out of stock. "chris " from velo gave me the 411 and said they were working on it.

blackkeylym

« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2022, 03:04:30 PM »

I have the same issue. A hair off and cannot put the crank through. I put the driver side first and use the crank as the guide to put the other side BB cap. Running was smooth after the install so it is only slightly off for mine. Mine was the budget build. 105 group set , elite disc wheel, Rubino pro tubeless, I used hybrid mech hydraulic brake caliber and it works great. Total cost is less than $2k including shipping and tax.

Will use the risk routing tool from ali and it helps a lot. Get torque wrench from HF and it works fine.

Sebastian

« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2022, 03:18:07 PM »

Mine’s fine. Not as smooth as my prior frame with a thread fit BB into a pressfit shell. But it does spin smooth enough.

I got a different issue, though. After a few rides I noticed cracks around the seatpost clamping area. Now I did make sure to have at least 10cm of seatpost inserted. I used a calibrated torque wrench from PRO and tightened it to 4nm. The upside is: Chris and VB were quick to assure me that the frame would be replaced under warranty. I am now waiting for a replacement and it should be shipped any day now. Hope that one will hold up better.

Apart from that, I loved the fit and particularly the handling and cornering feel. The steep head angle and low BB feel really great.

kongo

« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2022, 06:32:22 PM »
I have the same issue. A hair off and cannot put the crank through. I put the driver side first and use the crank as the guide to put the other side BB cap. Running was smooth after the install so it is only slightly off for mine. Mine was the budget build. 105 group set , elite disc wheel, Rubino pro tubeless, I used hybrid mech hydraulic brake caliber and it works great. Total cost is less than $2k including shipping and tax.

Will use the risk routing tool from ali and it helps a lot. Get torque wrench from HF and it works fine.

i assume this this may be common but not to major. special for what was paid for the frame. small things like that i expect.
Mine’s fine. Not as smooth as my prior frame with a thread fit BB into a pressfit shell. But it does spin smooth enough.

I got a different issue, though. After a few rides I noticed cracks around the seatpost clamping area. Now I did make sure to have at least 10cm of seatpost inserted. I used a calibrated torque wrench from PRO and tightened it to 4nm. The upside is: Chris and VB were quick to assure me that the frame would be replaced under warranty. I am now waiting for a replacement and it should be shipped any day now. Hope that one will hold up better.

Apart from that, I loved the fit and particularly the handling and cornering feel. The steep head angle and low BB feel really great.
This what I'm glad to here about at the end of the day. side note @sebastian how is the fit. if I remeber your a tall rider.