Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 87287 times)

Sebastian

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #270 on: October 09, 2022, 03:32:37 PM »
Not dead yet,  it fell apart while I was checking on it at home... I was testing the bike out on a nearby bridge in town (highest point near me about 100m in elevation)  I had to bail after topping out at 30 mph after experiencing some sketchiness.  Lets just say the arm was hanging on by dear life by just a c clip clearly not intended for the job.  It's thin as you can get with somekind of low grade steel and this is where im guessing they've cut corners.

Well, glad to hear that you didn’t hurt yourself. Just one more example that goes to show that there are some areas on a bike where weight savings shouldn’t really be a priority. Dura Ace brakes are around 280g I believe. I’d have trust issues with everything lighter than that.
It’s just like those silly light brake discs that you can find all over Aliexpress for a couple of quid. Not sure I’d trust those with stopping me safely when doing a fast descent.

Sebastian

« Reply #271 on: October 09, 2022, 03:36:06 PM »
Hi guys, what‘s the tire clearance for 218 ?
VBR 168 seems appropriate for allroad (at least 32, vs 177 that can‘t even take 30 plus properly)
I‘m super keen to also order it, but use for road and allroad/light gravel is eminent, living in the Swiss mountains

32s should fit fine. But I think that’s about the limit between the chain stays. And if it gets muddy, you might get rubbing. Not sure I’d ride this thing off-road. The wheelbase is pretty damn short. It would probably feel a little nervous on gravel. But that’s just me.

DroidBE

« Reply #272 on: October 10, 2022, 07:57:25 AM »
I received the Frame last week (FrameSize : L , integrated bar : 400/120mm).
Finishing was quite okay. I did not see any bad-looking parts so it was a relief. But of course, things will be clearer once the parts are all installed and tested.
I attach some photos of the weight of the parts

Later I'll ask for your suggestions about internal cabling (for rattling etc.) and others..
thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 08:02:18 AM by DroidBE »

diegogarcia

« Reply #273 on: October 11, 2022, 11:58:03 AM »
Looks great. Very very close to buying one. Will follow this thread with interest. Regards.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #274 on: October 12, 2022, 02:26:24 AM »
I received the Frame last week (FrameSize : L , integrated bar : 400/120mm).
Finishing was quite okay. I did not see any bad-looking parts so it was a relief. But of course, things will be clearer once the parts are all installed and tested.
I attach some photos of the weight of the parts

Later I'll ask for your suggestions about internal cabling (for rattling etc.) and others..
thanks in advance!

WHats the lowest distance the seat post will drop down? from the top of the frame to the rail of the saddle. I am trying to figure  out what the largest frame I can fit as I got short legs and long torso. I am thinking a 54. but I would like to confirm.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

DroidBE

« Reply #275 on: October 12, 2022, 04:03:59 AM »
WHats the lowest distance the seat post will drop down? from the top of the frame to the rail of the saddle. I am trying to figure  out what the largest frame I can fit as I got short legs and long torso. I am thinking a 54. but I would like to confirm.

I have packed the frame back as I don't have much space at home, but the seat post was blocked (or touched somewhere in the frame) with the current length. I did not use any screws to hold it in that position in the photo.
So if you cut the bottom like 10cm, it can go down until the offset starts.

Alternatively, you may search seat-post without offsets.

When I start working on the frame again, I can measure the total length from BB for you.

carbonazza

« Reply #276 on: October 12, 2022, 04:49:15 AM »
As long as the post is 10cm inside the frame, you can cut it if too long, with a metal saw.

JTS

« Reply #277 on: October 13, 2022, 06:09:17 AM »
Received my copy (Disc) on Monday and also ordered a set of RC-50 wheels. Complementing it with Rival AXS the assembly was straight forward, but some points one should take care of (if not already mentioned somewhere in this thread).

When you fit a DUB/30mm axle you have to file down a protruding rivet that holds the bottom battery cover. Otherwise, you can't mount the axle straight. Just remove the bottom cover and you can access the rivet. The BSA threads seem to be cut post-mold and co-axial alignment/facing is fine. I had to remove some residuary debris and paint, but then you can screw in the bottom-bracket by hand easily and crank-axle fits smooth. Break mounts seem not to be machined but are sufficiently flat/parallel - no rubbing. What you have to take care of is the thread-insert holding the rear axle. It is fixed with a small screw that may get loose/lost. It can then happen that the insert rotates, and the axle becomes loose. Coming from the factory without it (!) apply thread-lock to the screw and check regularly. Overall quality of the frame seems fine, but time will tell. Test-drive today did not reveal any issues. The frame feels firm and with 28mm/5bar sufficiently comfortable (for a race bike). The handlebar seemed quite flexible when putting power into the bike, but I have no experience with the original, so that might be normal.

Someone having long(er)-term experience?

Irideslowly

« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2022, 07:40:10 AM »
Received my copy (Disc) on Monday and also ordered a set of RC-50 wheels. Complementing it with Rival AXS the assembly was straight forward, but some points one should take care of (if not already mentioned somewhere in this thread).

When you fit a DUB/30mm axle you have to file down a protruding rivet that holds the bottom battery cover. Otherwise, you can't mount the axle straight. Just remove the bottom cover and you can access the rivet. The BSA threads seem to be cut post-mold and co-axial alignment/facing is fine. I had to remove some residuary debris and paint, but then you can screw in the bottom-bracket by hand easily and crank-axle fits smooth. Break mounts seem not to be machined but are sufficiently flat/parallel - no rubbing. What you have to take care of is the thread-insert holding the rear axle. It is fixed with a small screw that may get loose/lost. It can then happen that the insert rotates, and the axle becomes loose. Coming from the factory without it (!) apply thread-lock to the screw and check regularly. Overall quality of the frame seems fine, but time will tell. Test-drive today did not reveal any issues. The frame feels firm and with 28mm/5bar sufficiently comfortable (for a race bike). The handlebar seemed quite flexible when putting power into the bike, but I have no experience with the original, so that might be normal.

Lovely bike.

dr Smoooth

« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2022, 12:10:01 PM »

Nice looking build.  I received my replica and will post some pics soon. Will use SRAM Force group set and Elite Wheels.  Waiting for the wheels and some other odds and ends to arrive.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #280 on: October 13, 2022, 12:17:02 PM »
Nice looking build.  I received my replica and will post some pics soon. Will use SRAM Force group set and Elite Wheels.  Waiting for the wheels and some other odds and ends to arrive.

I just bought some elite wheels. They talk about having to pay tariffs for the US. What did you have to pay for yours?

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

dr Smoooth

« Reply #281 on: October 13, 2022, 03:28:23 PM »
I ordered through Amazon, free shipping, no tariff.  Once the order is in, then you confirm your wheel requirements.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #282 on: October 14, 2022, 12:06:41 AM »
I did via aliexpress. the x weaves were at a good price.

madmax

« Reply #283 on: October 14, 2022, 11:01:29 AM »
I just bought some elite wheels. They talk about having to pay tariffs for the US. What did you have to pay for yours?

The elite wheels on Amazon are $300-$500

The same brand (I think) on their website for the Elite Drive 40 V (rim brakes) is $1069

https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/drive-40mm-rim-brake-carbon-spoke-wheelsetceramic-bearing/

Are these 2 the same company & just different products ?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 11:18:27 AM by madmax »

s3si1u

« Reply #284 on: October 14, 2022, 11:47:39 AM »
The elite wheels on Amazon are $300-$500

The same brand (I think) on their website for the Elite Drive 40 V (rim brakes) is $1069

https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/drive-40mm-rim-brake-carbon-spoke-wheelsetceramic-bearing/

Are these 2 the same company & just different products ?

Yeah same company, different product. Elite makes all sorts of wheels in all sorts of price ranges, most not available through their website. The website only shows the models they're really pushing/marketing with YouTubers and such. The Drive wheelset is their top of the line set. Anything not part of their "main" product line you can get from them on AliExpress, Alibaba, Whatsapp, Amazon, etc. What you find on Amazon is likely the lowest end of their lineup