Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 81194 times)

Queen of Skulls

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #450 on: December 09, 2022, 09:23:16 PM »
I say slow and steady with hobby files wins the race.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

madmax

« Reply #451 on: December 10, 2022, 01:45:06 AM »
All basic parts and cable housings are in the frame
Still need to add fd/rd, levers and handlebar

The crank went in smoothly, but if I try and spin it by hand it does not go beyond 1 revolution on its own. I expected it to spin freely

I checked the bb and the bolt does not touch the campy spindle, nor the foam housing on top of the cable housing to prevent rattles

There is no lateral play either, so I’m a little lost on this issue

Anyone any ideas ?

Edit:
Fixed. 

Non-drive side wavy ring was not set when the crank arm was added & was probably skewed by a tiny amount.
Removing both cranks & double checking everything & tap with a rubber mallet & everything sets correctly & the cranks spin freely

« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 03:44:48 PM by madmax »

kongo

« Reply #452 on: December 15, 2022, 04:13:08 PM »
so anyone else seen this one by Hambini ?

so after hambini did his video GC updated his video
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 08:04:31 PM by kongo »

madmax

« Reply #453 on: December 16, 2022, 01:58:19 PM »
Yep,    it seems the main issues are

1. Disc brake frame have through axles alignment issues & need facing

2. Paint in the BB threads

3. Bolt in BB height is too high

My frame above is the rim brake version & in my order/email with Chris

1.  I asked for matte black/unfinished frame & to make sure there was no paint
    I did clean out the BB/BSA threads with isopropyl & there was barely any paint in there (yes they do listen in their emails)

2. Front direct mount brake gave me issues & I cleaned that out & I had to coat the threads with ASC-1 anti-seize when mounting the campy brakes
    I have no idea what the heck they put in those holes, but that was a hard install

3. Started to file down the internal bolt & then Sebastian mentioned the Campy spindle is 25mm & will have enough clearence & sure enough that was the case & I did not bother sanding that down

My bike is in the local shop waiting to get the steerer cut & the shifting/indexing setup & then I'll ride & test it out

I did have to go to the Pinarello shop & get spacers so now I have the base spacers from Velo stacked up & then 3 spacers with impeccable finish from Pinarello & it looks a bit comical, but it all fits together...

kongo

« Reply #454 on: December 16, 2022, 04:06:16 PM »
Yep,    it seems the main issues are

1. Disc brake frame have through axles alignment issues & need facing

3. Bolt in BB height is too high

My frame above is the rim brake version & in my order/email with Chris

1.  I asked for matte black/unfinished frame & to make sure there was no paint
    I did clean out the BB/BSA threads with isopropyl & there was barely any paint in there (yes they do listen in their emails)

2. Front direct mount brake gave me issues & I cleaned that out & I had to coat the threads with ASC-1 anti-seize when mounting the campy brakes
    I have no idea what the heck they put in those holes, but that was a hard install

3. Started to file down the internal bolt & then Sebastian mentioned the Campy spindle is 25mm & will have enough clearence & sure enough that was the case & I did not bother sanding that down

My bike is in the local shop waiting to get the steerer cut & the shifting/indexing setup & then I'll ride & test it out

I did have to go to the Pinarello shop & get spacers so now I have the base spacers from Velo stacked up & then 3 spacers with impeccable finish from Pinarello & it looks a bit comical, but it all fits together...

so on 1-10 recommendation for a rim brake of this frame?

madmax

« Reply #455 on: December 16, 2022, 06:33:29 PM »
so on 1-10 recommendation for a rim brake of this frame?

9 out of 10

Keep my recommendation in mind with the following caveats on why I did this build

1. My existing bike is a Trek Madone SL-7 eTap with sram force & is a superb bike, but disc brake have their own unique issues

2. I wanted a Pinarello Dogma F, but obviously beyond budget so I went for this frame + a Campagnolo Record/Super Record groupset + Rim brakes (direct mount)
    This is so I could take the bike on local trips etc & not have to worry about baby sitting the brakes & be able to fix or adjust anything I needed with minimal hassle
    ie If wife & I go to Palm Springs etc,  remove wheels, toss bike in suv & you are done. Reach destination & attach wheels + skewers & you are ready to go.

3. Cable routing
    This was a major pain in the ass, because after spending $1700 on a very nice groupset, they gave me very short housings so I had to buy brake/shifter/foam cover housings (Jagwire)
    from Amazon
    I also stupidly routed the cable in the frame first & then the handlebar & it was 10x as difficult & was saved by the "bestin cable routing kit" for $15 (same a Park Tools $66 kit)

4. Weight on the bike is just close to 16lbs with the groupset,  elite-drive wheels (50V),  Bontrager Aeolus Elite saddle (145mm) & Dura-ace 9100E pedals

5. This is the very first time I have built a bike....any bike my life, so my total cost was around $4400, mainly because of the groupset ($1700), Wheels ($908), Frame ($700)
    ad the rest is the insane number of tools I have wound up with, which I won't need to buy again

If you want a nice light roadbike I would say go for the rim version & probably go with sram electronic shift/mechanical rim brakes or a shimano 105 to keep costs low & get it unpainted to avoid all the hassle above

I also had a ton of help from a lot of folks on here & Sebastian who replied in depth to my emails & got me through this process

Sebastian

« Reply #456 on: December 17, 2022, 12:51:10 AM »
so anyone else seen this one by Hambini ?

so after hambini did his video GC updated his video

Well I’ve had no less than three of these frames in my workshop for reasons I mentioned earlier.
I agree with Hambini for the most part.

He’s not talking about thru axle alignment but rather about the brake mounts for the disc callipers. That’s a common issue on many frames.

I agree with him that the BB threads are shit. Not very cleanly cut at all. However, on all three frames I was able to thread in BB cups on the first attempt without cleaning anything.

And lastly the paintjob. Well, it’s a 50USD paintjob. It’s way better than what I could do for 50USD. But it’s far from spotless. However, all three frames I got were not as badly finished as his frame.

I think what this clearly shows is that there’s quite the variation in quality with Velobuild. And that doesn’t inspire confidence in their QC.
They do however in my experience admit when they’re at failure and try to correct it.

madmax

« Reply #457 on: December 18, 2022, 11:15:54 PM »
I need some recommendations on brake pads, my bike is still  in the local shop

The wheels are elite drive carbon 50V
Brakes are direct mount Campagnolo Record and they came with black pads but those may have been for alloy rims and will check when I get the bike back

As a backup I just ordered a set of Swiss Stop Black Prince brake pads, though if those are incorrect they will be sent back unopened

Sebastian

« Reply #458 on: December 19, 2022, 12:39:28 AM »
I need some recommendations on brake pads, my bike is still  in the local shop

The wheels are elite drive carbon 50V
Brakes are direct mount Campagnolo Record and they came with black pads but those may have been for alloy rims and will check when I get the bike back

As a backup I just ordered a set of Swiss Stop Black Prince brake pads, though if those are incorrect they will be sent back unopened

You can’t really go wrong with Black Prince pads. I’ve switched to Kool Stop pads because I prefer the slightly softer compound. They do wear quicker, though. I’ve heard good things about Campagnolo’s own red carbon pads. Never tried them myself. The black ones that come stock on the brakes are for aluminium rims only.

madmax

« Reply #459 on: December 19, 2022, 08:19:41 PM »
You can’t really go wrong with Black Prince pads. I’ve switched to Kool Stop pads because I prefer the slightly softer compound. They do wear quicker, though. I’ve heard good things about Campagnolo’s own red carbon pads. Never tried them myself. The black ones that come stock on the brakes are for aluminium rims only.

At this point after starting the build I have

1. Bought the Pinarello top cap & compression plug for $60   (much better quality & longer length on the plug)

2. Additional spacers for $75 (yes, it sucks to pay that much for fine, refined plastic....from Taiwan)
    (and they are the only ones that fit perfectly on the Velo 218 spacers)

3. New SwissStop brake pads for $53 (campy ones are for alloy & I have no idea what the heck elite-wheels sent, they were marked Shimano Drua-ace, so I gave those away)

4. Garmin mount for $34 (I paid $15 for this to Velo & it wasn't in the box)

5. $17 for 666 grub screws (I am not making this up), made of 12.9 class alloy steel
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FM9JJWK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I guess if the missing velo parts show up I can return the  Garmin mount unopened & probably the spacers  & maybe use the fake Pinarello top cap as a guitar pick

kongo

« Reply #460 on: December 19, 2022, 09:01:37 PM »
At this point after starting the build I have

1. Bought the Pinarello top cap & compression plug for $60   (much better quality & longer length on the plug)

2. Additional spacers for $75 (yes, it sucks to pay that much for fine, refined plastic....from Taiwan)

3. New SwissStop brake pads for $53 (campy ones are for alloy & I have no idea what the heck elite-wheels sent, they were marked Shimano Drua-ace, so I gave those away)

4. Garmin mount for $34 (I paid $15 for this to Velo & it wasn't in the box)

5. $17 for 666 grub screws (I am not making this up), made of 12.9 class alloy steel
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FM9JJWK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I guess if the missing velo parts show up I can return the  Garmin mount unopened & probably the spacers  & maybe use the fake Pinarello top cap as a guitar pick

you have pic and web page for plug.i went with an unbranded carbon piece for top cap.

madmax

« Reply #461 on: December 19, 2022, 09:30:53 PM »
you have pic and web page for plug.i went with an unbranded carbon piece for top cap.

Here you go

https://www.bikebling.com/Most-Pinarello-Headset-Compression-Plug-p/most22-pi-hs-compplug.htm

This is what I wound up buying  (highway robbery, but probably saved the US economy & the govt from shutdown during xmas)

https://www.bikebling.com/Pinarello-Aero-1k-Carbon-Top-Cap-Expander-p/pinarello22-stexa1kpam.htm

Seb above had a nice one from Deda that is 70mm in length, but I was unable to find that

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #462 on: December 21, 2022, 01:55:37 AM »

I thought its not paint but poor machining???? If its paint then I can deal with that

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #463 on: December 21, 2022, 02:02:23 AM »

Got a link I am a tall person and need spacers

madmax

« Reply #464 on: December 21, 2022, 11:32:30 AM »
Got a link I am a tall person and need spacers

Link is in post above.

If you are in SoCal then the place linked above is in Escondido & you can pick it up in store or order it & have it mailed to you